Milwaukee M12

Finally decided to try them out, My initial impression is pretty good but not perfect!

*1/4" drive extended reach ratchet will "auto reverse" if pushed to hard, Hope it doesn't get worse as that will be a deal breaker! My Snap-on 1/4" 14.4v ratchet has yet to auto reversed on me in 6 years of hard use.

*3/8" drive extended reach ratchet is a BEAST but quite bulky at the head......Love it so far!

*3/8" Stubby Impact.....Very powerful & I really like the push button settings! Going to remove the Belt Clip as I don't need it. Wish Milwaukee would have used a Rocker Style Trigger like the Snap-on 14.4v CT700 series! Probably could have bought/traded the rights to it as opposed to sueing Snap-on for using a 18v Lithium Ion battery??

These will not replace my Snap-on 14.4v tools although my ratchets are getting tired.....The fact Snap-on 14.4v 2.0ah batteries are $100 a piece vs 2 Milwaukee Extended Capacity 3.0ah for the same price was the main deciding factor!

I bought all 3 as Bare Tools. It was cheaper to buy a Charger + 2 Compact 3.0ah Batteries & a 2-pack of Extended Capacity 3.0ah Batteries than it was to buy the "Kits" that come with Compact 2.0ah Batteries!
I didn't care about the carry cases as they would end up in the trash anyway!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Milwaukee really knocked it outta the park with M12. So many tools and a really optimal power/weight/size balance.

I absolutely love my Fuel 1/4", Fuel stubby 1/2" and one of my employees has the 1/2". Much better build quality over the Snap On, half price, and better warranty. Ive also had a DeWalt 1/2" for almost 4 years and 0 issues, where my snappy 1/2 needed a rebuild every 18 months, first was free the rest are 200$. The gun with 2 batteries was $300, its a no brainer, especailyl if you get the warranty for extra coverage. Never going back to snap on electrics, or scanners for that matter.

I have some M12, but most are M18 beasts. I have quite a few of these and am happy with all of them. The batteries are a tad expensive compared to the knock offs, but perform and last longer.

Using the M12/M18 Rapid Charger will cut the charging time in half. Unexpected bonus came with a set I bought (big M18 batteries with a saw).

I like how they have the power indicator on the tool instead of on the battery, and I agree on the belt clip. I use it occasionally when not wearing a belt so I don't want to take it off, but it has cut my hand a few times.

Dewalt and Makita don't even bother trying to compete with M12. Dewalt designs seem to be smaller versions of their 20v tools and Makita 12v seems to be rebranded Bosch 12v.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Dewalt and Makita don't even bother trying to compete with M12. Dewalt designs seem to be smaller versions of their 20v tools and Makita 12v seems to be rebranded Bosch 12v.

I'm not sure how you'd conclude the Makitas are rebranded Bosch - the batteries are completely different, Bosch using the big round ones that go into the grips and Makita using the slide type on the bottom of the grip
21.gif
The rest of the tools don't look any more similar, beyond the sort of things that are common to any tools.

Originally Posted by Audios
I absolutely love my Fuel 1/4", Fuel stubby 1/2" and one of my employees has the 1/2". Much better build quality over the Snap On, half price, and better warranty. Ive also had a DeWalt 1/2" for almost 4 years and 0 issues, where my snappy 1/2 needed a rebuild every 18 months, first was free the rest are 200$. The gun with 2 batteries was $300, its a no brainer, especially if you get the warranty for extra coverage. Never going back to snap on electrics, or scanners for that matter.

I DO NOT like the Snap-on 18v tools, But the CT761 14.4v 3/8" drive & 1/4" quick change Impacts have been perfect & they are @2 years old....The 2 ratchets I have are 6 years old.
If my CT761 Impacts died monday.....I'd buy them again, Really like the slim body & Rocker style switch!!
No Doubt that the M12 Stubby packs more punch!

If I had to guess.....You work on a lot of European vehicles? Snap-on scanner Euro coverage is a joke, While domestic coverage is second only to factory scan tools. Asian coverage is a mixed bag!

I am looking to pull the trigger on some M12 tools(time to get cordless vs. pneumatic)After cruising the CPO and new Milwaukee websites it is clear there is an older tool and a newer series tool of the same kind. How does one decode the tool numbers? Like I said, you will see the same tool with different tool numbers.

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I recommend the Brushless FUEL models!

Thank you! It's a place to start.

Originally Posted by twouvakind
I am looking to pull the trigger on some M12 tools(time to get cordless vs. pneumatic)After cruising the CPO and new Milwaukee websites it is clear there is an older tool and a newer series tool of the same kind. How does one decode the tool numbers? Like I said, you will see the same tool with different tool numbers.

Basic decoding:

Tool 1234-20 - tool only

Tool 1234-21 - tool + 1 battery and charger

Tool 1234-22 - tool + 2 batteries and charger

It gets more complicated with multiple tools and large sets and promotion, sale items.

I like Home Depot for M12 and M18. If they don't have they can get it. Spend time on their website and don't buy the first thing you see.

Tool 1234-20 may be $119 but same tool 1234-22 as above may be $99.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clinebarger
I recommend the Brushless FUEL models!

The fuel ratchets are much bulkier than regular m12 ratchet.. some prefer non-fuel... since you can just use it like a ratchet with your arm and then it doesnt matter if the ratchet will do 30ft-lb or 50ft-lb.

The fuel stubby impact is really nice.

Surprisingly I really like the m12 vac.

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by twouvakind

Basic decoding:

Tool 1234-20 - tool only

Tool 1234-21 - tool + 1 battery and charger

Tool 1234-22 - tool + 2 batteries and charger

It gets more complicated with multiple tools and large sets and promotion, sale items.

I like Home Depot for M12 and M18. If they don't have they can get it. Spend time on their website and don't buy the first thing you see.

Tool 1234-20 may be $119 but same tool 1234-22 as above may be $99.

This was MOST helpful, thanks!

Liked the stubby 3/8" Impact so much....I bought the 1/4" stubby! Never had a dedicated 1/4" drive impact before so I'm looking forward to using it.

For a home user I got the M12 fuel impact with the hex drive. I use it for repairs around the house and just use the 3/8 or 1/4 adapter for car work. I love the power of the Fuel and life of the batteries. M12 is perfect size. I had the old M28 tools when I worked construction and they were horrible. Way too big and heavy and would get hot. Don't miss those at all.

1/4" quick change hex impact is what I've used forever, They get squirrely with an 1/4" square drive adapter, 6" extension, And a impact swivel on the end!
I tape the socket to the extension & the extension to the adapter.

CLine........ I got the m12 right angle die grinder. Love that thing with 6 amp hour batt.true brushless and plenty of torque.

Back