BITOG Forums really need a RATING SYSTEM for Threads or Replies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by atikovi
Not unless there was also a "dislike" button as well. But I guess that wouldn't be politically correct as it could hurt the feelings of some sensitive members who view posting in internet forums as some sort of validation.

Haha !! I love the part about hurting people's feelings even though it's 100% true !

Originally Posted by Fawteen
Originally Posted by discountdon
Please consider a 5 star rating system or something! Oh and BTW, not one member here gave me a welcome smiley.

Just outta curiosity, would putting a whole bunch of those little annoying, meaningless cartoon things in a post be a good reason to rate a thread as thumbs down or zero stars?

And if you don't get yer deserved "welcome smiley", do you get to give a thumbs down to everyone who failed to prop up your self esteem and include that little cartoon that means so much to you?

Inquiring minds want to know how it would work.
"Like"

Originally Posted by dnewton3
There could be merit in your suggestion ...

The upside is that perhaps folks who post silly, inane topics might "get the hint" after getting pummeled with a thousand dislikes.
The downside is that it can become a "pile on" mentality, and just start a war of words.

The staff and owner will consider the topic.

other sites that I visit did away with the dislike button but keep the like button. They also have a notification if someone quotes your post. It works out well in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by dnewton3
There could be merit in your suggestion ...

The upside is that perhaps folks who post silly, inane topics might "get the hint" after getting pummeled with a thousand dislikes.
The downside is that it can become a "pile on" mentality, and just start a war of words.

The staff and owner will consider the topic.

other sites that I visit did away with the dislike button but keep the like button.

That's as retarded, excuse me, ridiculous, as what Ebay did years ago allowing sellers to only be able to leave positive feedback ratings. Only buyers can leave negative ratings.

I kind of agree with what some others said early on. If the mass just ignores the silly posts, they will naturally just fade away. If we just did not respond to posts they will go away. Even if your post is simply to tell someone to search. Just dont say anything and if people want real help they will formulate reasonable posts that will gain traction.

The one advantage of a " thumbs up" type system could be something like this. I have been part of this site for a long time now and have learned of people that i respect and are interested in some of the same stuff I am. It could potentially open the door for me to visit their page and scroll through the posts that they "thumbed up".

Anyhoo the thread which set me off to post this after reading a succession of seemingly ignoramus threads, has been finally deleted. Phew____

Good Job Mods
thumbsup2.gif

THINK INNOVATION for BITOG

much love,

OP has abandoned thread

I like the idea of a rating system for threads, but also for members such as a respect system or credibility system to honor those who post helpful information. The "like" system could work into that with a status under their avatar that shows how many likes their posts have received.

All peace, love, dove, until the first bashing thread on your favorite brand … and the same guys with the same tired agenda like, like, like …

Originally Posted by Astro14
On the Mercedes Forum which I frequent, there is a "like" button. I find it useful. When another poster makes a good suggestion, or diagnosis, I can simply hit "like", instead of typing out a replay that simply says "+1". Other posters can see who "liked" a post. I find it convenient and useful.

There is only a "like". No "dislike". No "thumbs down". So, it's only positive feedback/reinforcement.

I spend my time in an obscure corner of that Forum, in the W220 (S-class 2000-2006) section*, so I don't see the traffic or volume that BITOG generates.

I wonder how it would work in the BITOG context.

There is no way I would want a full "feedback" system, a la Facebook or eBay, it would provide a means for "piling on" and some real "mob mentality" on particularly controversial topics and posts.

But the "like" button is worth considering.

* https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class.25/ if anyone is interested in how the "like" button works/appears.

+1 Like
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kschachn
OP has abandoned thread

I wonder why?

It's obvious that there is a hole in the screen door of the BITOG house.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by kschachn
OP has abandoned thread

I wonder why?

It's obvious that there is a hole in the screen door of the BITOG house.

I think there was no door at all on the september month this year...

I don't like the idea of "likes" here.

Consider how we have attacked each others' idea before threads got lock, you don't want to add fuel to these with "look, you have 100 fewer likes than me so you must be wrong" arguments.

I'm on a couple of car forums where the "Like" button exists. I'd say 2/3 rds of the likes given are because the guy made some kind of joke or smart [censored] remark in the thread.

Same thing on the other car forum. There's one guy (as well as many others) there that just injects stupid memes or makes stupid commemts with rolling eye emojies and people "like" his BS. He adds absolutely zero helpful technical content to that chat board.

Anyone that's been on any kind of chat board for awhile knows who blows smoke and who doesn't.

Perhaps it could be a preference setting for the op of each thread as to whether there are likes or dislikes in the thread.

Maybe try it out in just the mechanical/ maintenance forum, where advice is given. I think likes would be more applicable to repair advice than to general discussion/opinions.

The last thing the Mods need, is to have to manage likes/ dislike questions, disputes.

Last edited:
It would appear that "likes" are no longer liked.

Instagram isn't the only company that is attempting to remove publicly available engagement metrics from their platform. Facebook (which owns Instagram), YouTube, and Twitter have all experimented with removing engagement metrics from their platforms. As WIRED previously reported, social media researchers have argued that when users tailor their content to whatever garners the most engagement (or outrage), the result is a radicalized environment that makes healthy, happy conversations almost impossible.

https://www.wired.com/story/instagram-hiding-likes-adam-mosseri-tracee-ellis-ross-wired25/

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back