Pennzoil platinum question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at the parts store and i noticed they still have pennzoil platinum that is just sn rated. I tried finding some voas for the sn version but couldnt find any. How much different is the add pack from the sn+

Well I just have 300 miles on my Pennzoil OCI I just completed is my poor Toyota Corolla going to explode now? Maybe I'd better change it out LOL

Originally Posted by travis8352
Was at the parts store and i noticed they still have pennzoil platinum that is just sn rated. I tried finding some voas for the sn version but couldnt find any. How much different is the add pack from the sn+

SN+ is only important if you have a T-GDI engine susceptible to LSPI

The difference is mainly in the amounts of calcium and magnesium detergents. Calcium was reduced and magnesium was increased as testing showed that calcium above certain amounts could cause LSPI. As mentioned already that condition could occur in Turbo GDI motors.

for some time the PP SN+ was shipped with labels showing SN.. so it still might be SN+

Check the date code on the bottle... usually near or on bottom.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Well I just have 300 miles on my Pennzoil OCI I just completed is my poor Toyota Corolla going to explode now? Maybe I'd better change it out LOL

Ya know, that really wasn't necessary. The guy is brand new (only 3 posts) and was asking a legitimate question.

Sometimes it's better to not reply at all, capiche?

Some say SL is easier on seals ... Not all the new stuff may necessarily be good for all engines! They may target one issue to help/resolve and will mess up something else.

I'm sure one time won't hurt anything, if you fill out your signature it makes it easier to know for sure. And,
welcome2.gif

The oil companies couldn't display the d1G2 approval until a specific date yet the oil could meet that spec. Check the bottle for the dexos license number. If it starts with a D then it's d1G2.

Originally Posted by PimTac

The difference is mainly in the amounts of calcium and magnesium detergents. Calcium was reduced and magnesium was increased as testing showed that calcium above certain amounts could cause LSPI. As mentioned already that condition could occur in Turbo GDI motors.

Also if moly is added to a calcium or sodium detergent only motor oil it decreases LPSI events.

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Some say SL is easier on seals ... Not all the new stuff may necessarily be good for all engines! They may target one issue to help/resolve and will mess up something else.

That's kind of dumb seal capability is part of the API certification process.

My elf nf900 in a sig is API SL....and is loaded with MoDTC.....but hey molly according to BITOG hardens seals...

I know it wont hurt i was just curious of the differences. Trying to learn as much about motor oil as i can

Originally Posted by dave1251

That's kind of dumb seal capability is part of the API certification process.

One of the industry experts on this site said that SL is significantly less aggressive on seals and i remember that. I was nice and said "easier"
lol.gif

What is your area of expertise?

Does API require testing and/or impact on the seals after 10 or 15 years? idk, just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back