How does this PC build look?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time to build a new PC as my current one is approaching the 5 year mark. Below are the parts lists for my existing PC and the new build. I primarily use this machine (with two 4k monitors) for software development work and then occasionally some gaming.

Does anything about this new build stand out as a problem? Are there any alternative components I should be considering? I'm hoping that it will be a nice upgrade that can last me for the next 5 years.

Current Build
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4 GB SSC ACX 2.0+ Video Card
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk III 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

New Build
CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($471.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($281.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB STRIX GAMING Advanced Video Card ($584.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT H710i ATX Mid Tower Case ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2033.88

Personally I would go with a 3rd gen Ryzen, they are slaughtering inlet at the moment in multicore, multithread workloads and are quite a bit cheaper too boot. Intel only has advantage on single core workloads. So the question is, for your work, does the software/work take advantage of multi threaded CPUs or prefers single core?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ
Personally I would go with a 3rd gen Ryzen, they are slaughtering inlet at the moment in multicore, multithread workloads and are quite a bit cheaper too boot. Intel only has advantage on single core workloads. So the question is, for your work, does the software/work take advantage of multi threaded CPUs or prefers single core?

I got similar feedback from a coworker. I'm not totally against the idea, but I'm still a little gun shy after having tons of driver issues with AMD in the past. Granted, that was 10 years ago.

I had an alomost identical original build with the i7-4790K. It was a beast.

Your proposed build should work great, it is very close to my build.
I went with the i7-9700K , as imo it was the best cost/benefit for my plans - gaming and office work.

I have a Noctua NH-D15 great air cooler, you'll need to play with the fan placement to have clearance over the ram. Should wait for black friday/cyber monday deals. Also if you have a microcenter close by they have lower prices on some of the components but also has sales tax, I bought a number of components from newegg and B&H to avoid the sales tax.

Originally Posted by Danno
I had an alomost identical original build with the i7-4790K. It was a beast.

Surprisingly it's still a pretty decent machine 5 years later. Once I finish the new build I'm going to install Linux and it should be a beast again.

Originally Posted by wkcars
I have a Noctua NH-D15 great air cooler, you'll need to play with the fan placement to have clearance over the ram.

I'm a little nervous about the clearance. I'm only installing 2 sticks of RAM for now and they should be in slots 2&4 so hopefully I don't have to adjust too much.

Looks like a solid build. The only thing I may suggest is a closed loop liquid cooler, which would also solve any clearance issues mentioned with the ram. I have a modular XSPC loop just for my CPU and it really keeps things quiet, cool, and looks good. Of course those closed loop kits are probably a weak link in terms of pump failure before a fan/heatsink would fail.

Originally Posted by HemiHawk
Looks like a solid build. The only thing I may suggest is a closed loop liquid cooler, which would also solve any clearance issues mentioned with the ram. I have a modular XSPC loop just for my CPU and it really keeps things quiet, cool, and looks good. Of course those closed loop kits are probably a weak link in terms of pump failure before a fan/heatsink would fail.

I had an AIO (Cooler Master Nepton 240) on my current build but after about a year the pump developed a noise and I had to get rid of it. I kind of like the simplicity of air coolers.

Originally Posted by glock19

I got similar feedback from a coworker. I'm not totally against the idea, but I'm still a little gun shy after having tons of driver issues with AMD in the past. Granted, that was 10 years ago.

Intel is pretty much a sure bet. From what I've read the thread rippers are finicky, but the Ryzens seem to be supported quite well. Still, going AMD probably carries more risk than going with Intel, or at least more unknowns.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Also upgrade the RAM, DDR3 is outdated now.

I think you're looking at the current build. The proposed build has DDR4-3200MHz.

Never understood the point of homebuilt computers. If a part breaks, you have to deal with each separate component manufacturer. And there is always the chance one part won't be compatible with the other. Why not order something to your specs from Dell or some other established make. If something breaks, they come out and fix it onsite for 3 years.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Never understood the point of homebuilt computers. If a part breaks, you have to deal with each separate component manufacturer. And there is always the chance one part won't be compatible with the other. Why not order something to your specs from Dell or some other established make. If something breaks, they come out and fix it onsite for 3 years.

It's the same attitude others have towards working on cars by themselves. Why do you fix your cars vs let others do it for you with a warranty?

There are advantage to both approaches as well as disadvantages. Having done it both ways, the warranty is very overrated and it is very unlikely I will ever buy a pre-built home pc.

Last edited:

I build my own because I know the parts will be what I want and not cheap junk. Plus, its fun.

Yeah, price advantage is not really there, but for the same price you get much better components of your choice, no locked bios, no white listed components and the list goes on.

As an example, from what I read, HP uses proprietary motherboard power connectors, so if the power supply goes, good luck getting a new one.

On my old HP, which miracurasly works fine to this day, I wanted to upgrade the CPU cooler. Nothing fancy, just something better as the case was air choked.
I could not even start the computer. Bios minimum fan RPM was set too high and the new fan that came with the cooler would spin to slow, so the system would not even boot up to protect itself.
I ended up hooking up the fan to a molex connector which forced it to run 100% instead if being controlled by the mobo and hooked up the old fan to the PWM connector so that the system could see fan spin. Bios was locked of course so I could not adjust the RPM limit after I got it working.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by xxch4osxx

I build my own because I know the parts will be what I want and not cheap junk. Plus, its fun.

I've been building my own since about 1990. I've never had anything break other than a video card fan. If you do your homework, you'll avoid buying parts that are incompatible.

My new build is coming together. Not as high end as Glock's. That is a beast of a PC. Even the old one is a beast. I'm still running a Phenom 9950 with 4GB RAM and onboard graphics since the GPU died.

Are you going to use an optical drive in the new beast?

Originally Posted by Leo99

OPs case of choice doesn't have any 5.25" bays. External is the only option. But these days it's hardly ever needed.

[Linked Image]

I'll be building this new PC and keeping my current PC which has a DVD drive. That being said, I haven't used the DVD drive in years so I'm not too worried that I can't transfer it.

Originally Posted by Leo99

OPs case of choice doesn't have any 5.25" bays. External is the only option. But these days it's hardly ever needed.

[Linked Image]

I'm debating if I should use my old case and keep the optical drive or move to a fancy new case with glass window and abandon the optical drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back