Havoline Pro DS 10W-30; 2004 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on the OCI I just completed on my 2004 Corolla on 10/29/19
6764 miles over 90% of the driving during this time was sever service.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by a moderator:
A nice series of UOAs.

Can you describe your driving so I can understand what you consider severe service?

I will add one small note to that this is the Corolla's highest usage of oil. It jumped from its normal half cup in 7K miles to a half quart in just under 7K miles.

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
A nice series of UOAs.

Can you describe your driving so I can understand what you consider severe service?

70 to 90% in town driving.
I only had one good stretch of Freeway driving on this OCI that was a trip to Pendleton, OR and back home a total of 56o miles.

Last edited:
That's a good report and the oil had some life left as well. Looks like a winner considering your driving routine.

Since you are in western WA, the traffic congestion is another factor to consider. While most metro areas experience traffic this area is one of the worst.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I will add one small note to that this is the Corolla's highest usage of oil. It jumped from its normal half cup in 7K miles to a half quart in just under 7K miles.

There is a good possibility that this 'usage' would abate if you kept running this oil....I've seen this happen.
I have a 2008 Corolla with the same 1ZZFE engine....I usually change the oil around 5K so I see no usage....but I think it would
use about the same amount as yours if I went 7K....I wonder how these 1ZZFE's do on 5w20 since they were backspec'd?

Originally Posted by PimTac
That's a good report and the oil had some life left as well. Looks like a winner considering your driving routine.

Since you are in western WA, the traffic congestion is another factor to consider. While most metro areas experience traffic this area is one of the worst.

I agree. It looks like a winner to me.

May I ask why the 10W30 instead of the recommended 5W30 (might even be back specced to 5W20)? I maintain three 1.8 Matrix/Corolla 1.8s in my family (‘06, & 2 ‘07s), they never had any issues with 5W30 nor 5W20?

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
May I ask why the 10W30 instead of the recommended 5W30 (might even be back specced to 5W20)? I maintain three 1.8 Matrix/Corolla 1.8s in my family (‘06, & 2 ‘07s), they never had any issues with 5W30 nor 5W20?

Because when I bought it yes it was marked down two bucks cheaper than 5w-30 Pro DS.
My car has not imploded or burst into flames. I used it for my summer OCI but really here on the wet side of WA I could run that oil the year around.

Oh and my 10/29/19 OCI is Pennzoil 5W-20 HM. Why because it was $4 a Jug after sale and rebate.

Last edited:
Nice UOA Johnny.. looks like 7500 is very doable w/that lube... and proof positive that you don't necessarily need a fancy grp4 oil with gobs of moly to achieve low wear rates. I'd stick with it.. you got a winner on your hands.ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by zorobabel
Impressive results for city driving. How long is a regular city drive?

3 to 28 miles it varies I'm retired

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Nice UOA Johnny.. looks like 7500 is very doable w/that lube... and proof positive that you don't necessarily need a fancy grp4 oil with gobs of moly to achieve low wear rates. I'd stick with it.. you got a winner on your hands.ðŸ‘

I think I'll know for sure if I ever get another 200K on the Corolla.

That's the main reason I dumped Havoline ProDs early. In all my lawn equipment I am having to add oil where none before and in Caravan it dropped not to mention fuel mileage. Seemed like oil was breaking down. Changed at 6 month interval on Caravan and will change lawn equipment next spring before yard work. Was going 2 years on equipment or 50 hours but since used up left over from 5w30 box I will just change. Was 1 year oil change on Caravan.

2018 Grand Caravan

Last edited:
Well my mileage has dropped zero and if you look at the viscosity on the report it sure doesn't look like its breaking down. Still looks like a strong 30 weight to me.

Oooh, didn't know that. If usage doesn't drop like pbm said, I would choose another.

Oil looks good to me - 6qts may be convenient for my wife's Sedona next year. I won't have any hesitation on having it high on the list, of the oils on sale - hopefully.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice stable string of reports showing a nice sustainable pattern regardless of brand.

I was interested when I saw this thread as I have run an OCI with this oil and have more waiting in the oil cabinet.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
Looks like a nice stable string of reports showing a nice sustainable pattern regardless of brand.

I was interested when I saw this thread as I have run an OCI with this oil and have more waiting in the oil cabinet.

And that's a good point, that the engine has as much to do with a good UOA as the lube. Having said that, this ProDS is holding up well for a nearly 7k mile run. Add pk looks intact, plenty of TBN left after 7k, still in grade for an SAE30 and wear metals are virtually non-existent. Some oils don't don't hold up in some engines, this lube is doing great in this one. ðŸ‘

A half qt of make-up oil in nearly 7k miles is not problematic IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back