how does a tire warranty work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
moms 2017 CRV has 22500 miles on it. i did mo pre winter inspection on her car today. Her tires are down to 6/32 all around. So i estimate they should be at 4/32 around 33 to 35k. tires are bridgestone Ecopia tires with a 70k mile tread wear warranty. tire have been rotated regularly .

So how do these tire warranty work? DT is the usual place i go when i need new tires .

Are these the factory tires? If so, I'm not sure they come with the same type of warranty as tires bought from DT or other retail outlet.

Anyway, the tread doesn't wear down at the same rate throughout the tires' life. It initially wears faster, then it slows down.

You'd have to have all 4 tires wore down uniformly to 2/32" before you can ask for some pro-rated amount based on treadwear warranty. If there is any kind of uneven wear, all bets are off.

Are these the factory-installed tires ? If so, you should contact Bridgestone to see how they handle warranty claims. A tire shop that didn't sell them may not have a clear procedure even though they could be an "authorized dealer" for that brand.

DT does sell a Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus (w/ a 70k warranty), for what it's worth. Call DT ?

Originally Posted by skyactiv
There is ZERO tread life warranty on OEM tires, period.

Well i guess that answers the question. just gotta budget for new tires for mom next year

Not necessarily true. Sometimes Honda/Acura will warranty their factory tires. The Michelin tires on my wifes MDX were covered by warranty. They wore out in ~25,000 miles. Contacted Michelin, they told me to go to any authorized seller and get them replaced. I went to Discount Tire and got a new set of Michelin tires ~50% off.

Last edited:
Tire warrantie are pretty much worthless anyway, since they are prorated and they always are pro rated against the cost of the tire at full retail and you can probably buy that tire at discount less then with the warranty coverage. Useless warranty IMO. Not worth the paper they are printed on

I had a set of OEM Contis go bad on an ‘03 Vibe I bought new, developed a messed up wear pattern on the inside of both rears. GM replaced the first set & checked the alignment (which was fine), when the 2nd set did the same thing I gave up & got something different.

Sometimes I have seen OEM tires covered under warranty, but it is only at the discretion of the tire manufacturer. We have to take pictures and measurements and send those to the tire manufacturer who then usually says they will give $5-10 per tire after we pay to ship them in for inspection.

WhyMe said:
moms 2017 CRV has 22500 miles on it. i did mo pre winter inspection on her car today. Her tires are down to 6/32 all around. So i estimate they should be at 4/32 around 33 to 35k. tires are bridgestone Ecopia tires with a 70k mile tread wear warranty. tire have been rotated regularly .

I would contact Bridgestone and see what they will do.

Honda Tire Warranties

Check the tire warranty information that should come with the owners manual. Most times they want proof of rotating every xx miles, tread depth etc. Continental used to be really good for standing behind it, it would be 2 pictures of DOT and damage to tire, tread depth in each groove, original purchase date, and mileage on tire. They would usually warranty almost every single one that had issues. This was also in the beginning of the DWS timeframe, and soft sidewalls were known, so they didnt really fight.

Originally Posted by kjbock

Honda Tire Warranties

From page 30, "What is Not Covered":

2. Rapid tread wear or wear-out. Original equipment tires have no mileage warranty.

The tires that come with a new car are seldom very good. You don't want another set just like them anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mk378
Originally Posted by kjbock

Honda Tire Warranties

From page 30, "What is Not Covered":

2. Rapid tread wear or wear-out. Original equipment tires have no mileage warranty.

The tires that come with a new car are seldom very good. You don't want another set just like them anyway.

That's is the same as my '12 Honda policy. The original Contis only lasted about 36k and the Conti rep confirmed the lack of warranty on OEM tires. He also assured me that their newer models have better treadwear, but I haven't tried another set of Contis.

Notably, OE tires also start with less tread. 8.5/32 (17/64?) is typical.

Other posters explained where your luck ran out.

Just so everyone understands:

OE tires are designed to the specs put out by the vehicle manufacturer. In most cases, these specs result in a tire that the average consumer will be unhappy with - because the tire is designed to give good fuel economy, and they get that by sacrificing treadwear and/or traction.

Because the tire manufacturer isn't designing the tire, and the vehicle manufacturer doesn't want the extra cost of doing tire warranties, tires usually don't come with a mileage warranty. There are a few exceptions.

General Motors provides a bumper-to-bumper warranty for 3 years/36,000 miles - and that includes tires.

Mercedes has something similar.

Michelin provides a mileage warranty on some of their OE tires.

But in general, OE tires - the ones that come on a new car from the factory - do NOT have a mileage warranty. They also do not have a road hazard warranty - BUT - they DO have a materials and workmanship warranty - which means that if the tire has a defect, it will be covered by warranty, but if it wears out prematurely, or suffers a roaf hazard, the tire is NOT covered by the warranty.

You may hear people say that XYZ covered worn out tires under warranty, but the reality is that that one a one-time, customer relations type of situation and not warranty coverage at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back