Ran into a cotton mouth the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stand their ground is appropriate. I have held still near a rattlesnake until it moved on. Cottonmouth likes to coil and show you how it got that name … ain't moving … but never had one move towards me. Lots of the "aggressive" talk comes from them trying to board your fishing boat. (Been there) … they sense you have bait.

Had a fat female bless me with offspring twice … finally tried to chase it on my garden tractor … back wheel caught it but it still sped away …

Then I realized what brought them. We had a bird feeder and some seeds landed on the ground. Field mice dined on that debris field … it was alongside thick monkey grass … think you get the picture

Originally Posted by 4WD
Stand their ground is appropriate. I have held still near a rattlesnake until it moved on. Cottonmouth likes to coil and show you how it got that name … ain't moving … but never had one move towards me. Lots of the "aggressive" talk comes from them trying to board your fishing boat. (Been there) … they sense you have bait.

Had a fat female bless me with offspring twice … finally tried to chase it on my garden tractor … back wheel caught it but it still sped away …

Then I realized what brought them. We had a bird feeder and some seeds landed on the ground. Field mice dined on that debris field … it was alongside thick monkey grass … think you get the picture
Cottonmouths ARE aggressive. In addition to trying to climb in my boat (because of this, I now take my 38 with rat shot ammunition with me when I go fishing), I have had them literally chase me, on shore, and they are faster on land than you think. None of the other venomous snakes will do this, if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone.
The snakes that scare me the most are baby rattle snakes. They are hard to see, have no rattles when they are young, and their bites are just as venomous as adults

Originally Posted by 4WD

My uncle had a similar experience. Since then hes remarried someone half his age.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
^^ Maybe put another way, if it has a triangle head you know to stay away from it. :eek:)
Wife was walking the dog a few months back, Copper Head was traveling across my neighbors lawn. It was dusk, didnt even care we were there, was just slowly taking his time.
I actually like snakes, find them fascinating and rather have snakes around then rodents/mice/rats etc.
He didnt even mind the flash of the camera...

Srry I would have smoked that phckr, no venomous snakes allowed around my residential walk-about areas.

I'm actually thinking it was a rat snake. That's the only black texas snake I can find in pictures that looks like it. Looks like freshly laid shiny asphalt.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
I'm actually thinking it was a rat snake. That's the only black texas snake I can find in pictures that looks like it. Looks like freshly laid shiny asphalt.

Google Black Racer, found throughout the south and east.

Can you tell which is the non-venemous Black Racer and the Cottonmouth? Fwiw, Racers will eat other snakes.

A:
[Linked Image]

B:
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
When the snake opens his mouth and bits you and the inside of the mouth is white like cotton, you have been bit by a cotton mouth. Try to get help quickly. If you don't, you may die and it will really hurt while you are dying. Ed

Originally Posted by Eddie
When the snake opens his mouth and bits you and the inside of the mouth is white like cotton, you have been bit by a cotton mouth. Try to get help quickly. If you don't, you may die and it will really hurt while you are dying. Ed

Well I suppose that's one way to identify a snake....‚

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back