Porsche Cayenne -v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for some help with a newly acquired 2104 pORSCHE cayenne.

Looking for an off the shelf oil from auto parts store that is Ok to use. have seen a few different recommendations here and saw saw different oils for the VW, Audi and Porsche even though it appears to be same engine?

ALso would appreciate input on oil filter - looks like either mann or a mahle filter would be best?

It also appears as if i need ot purchase a scan tool to reset oil light so open to any suggestions on that also . Was looking at the iCarsoft POR II Multi-System Diagnostic Scanner Tool for around $150

Last edited:
different oils for the VW, Audi and Porsche even though it appears to be same engine

it appears to be the same engine; difference is in the details.... /

Not trying to be a wet blanket, but when you enter the Porsche world you need to leave behind the penny-pinching mindset. Buy the best oil, best gas, best anything and enjoy the smiles (miles) of driving a Porsche!

The VW Touareg that year can use a VW 502 oil, but yours needs lower SAPS oil for some unknown reason. You could just use VW 502 I suppose. Castrol Edge 0w40 at walmart is cheap. Or M1 0w40 there.

If you decide to stick to Porsche's official spec:
advance auto parts has a Porsche C30 spec oil for this. Mobil1 ESP 5w30 is a great choice. Amazon can send it to you. Other auto parts stores. google Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 shopping
Walmart will ship to store if you want. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-1-124044-ESP-5W-30-Full-Synthetic-Motor-Oil-6-Quarts/398390343

Oil filter: No clear winner on that. I might pick Mann.
Originally Posted by jdw1222
It also appears as if i need ot purchase a scan tool to reset oil light so open to any suggestions on that also . Was looking at the iCarsoft POR II Multi-System Diagnostic Scanner Tool for around $150
Alfa Romeo's suffer from this. Its incredible. Most cars just have you hit some buttons, thats it.

Ok thanks for all the help

looked at this Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4 Full Synthetic Motor Oil - will looks at the ones mentioned also

If you call durametric they sometimes have refurbished cables for a little cheaper than the price on the web.

I plan on using Castrol 0w40 when we get our cayenne

Big question is: Why is Porsche asking for VW 504 Porsche C30 oil (low saps like Mobil1 ESP 5w30) ?

I know most people think it won't matter if you deviate from what Porsche tells us to do. I'd like to know why though.

Are they concerned about valve stem carbon buildup with the DI engine?

Most probably its because of the same reasons like your CAFE...

Its 21st century and its trendy to be in BIO/ECO mood
smile.gif

Its got more to do with fleet tax discounts then with enything else...

We have a 2011 Cayenne Hybrid, which uses the 3 liter audi Supercharged V6. I have been using either M1 5W-30 ESP or Liquimoly 4200 5W-30, for the last 50k miles. The car has 92000 miles on it and uses no oil to speak of. I am considering using the Total Quartz 5W-30 on the next oil change cycle. I change at 8--9k intervals, based on a UOA from Blackstone.

Schwaben makes a scanner for Porsche, available through Pelican parts, that allow you to reset service intervals, etc, and do many more tasks on the as well. For instance, monitoring the transmission temperature, which allows you to do a tranny fluid and filter service yourself. Very similar to the Durametric from Softronic (have one of those for another Porsche we own). I would recommend either the Durametric or the Schwaben.

Parts from Pelican parts or Suncoast Porsche.

Also, the transfer cases can be problematic on some of the Cayenne's. Changing the fluid seems to prevent issues. Ravenol makes the appropriate Tcase fluid. I also serviced the tranny with Ravenol ATF. It happens to be an Aisen transmission, so WS spec fluid will work (follow all the cross references from the Porsche spec and you get there eventually).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by paoester
Big question is: Why is Porsche asking for VW 504 Porsche C30 oil (low saps like Mobil1 ESP 5w30) ?

I know most people think it won't matter if you deviate from what Porsche tells us to do. I'd like to know why though.

Are they concerned about valve stem carbon buildup with the DI engine?

In Europe C30 is being used in Porsche's since 2009. It is less damaging to CAT and there is less potential for CBU, though CBU on V6 non-turbo is not an issue.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Most probably its because of the same reasons like your CAFE...

Its 21st century and its trendy to be in BIO/ECO mood
smile.gif

Its got more to do with fleet tax discounts then with enything else...

VW508.00/509.00 yes, VW 504.00/507.00 NO.

Dont forget that EU suddenly started to fancy 5w30 oils some 15-20yrs ago over anything else...prior to that it was all 5/10/15W40 here...

99% of DPF friendly oils here comes in sae30....you really have to struggle to find options in 5w40...

Now we are moving towards low HTHS versions in 0/5W30.....and sloooowly also towards sae20 grades...

Thats our "CAFE".....or EPA as we call it...

Thanks for all the help.

Still a little confused on the spec

Castrol 0w-40 is what I was leaning towards but see it isn't the exact spec needed for Porsche but seems fine for vw

Seems that the Castrols edge 0w-40 meets the Porsche a40 spec but not the c30 recommended for this engine by Porsche. Am I over thinking it or is it worth spending more for the Mobil 5w-30 c30 oil?

Also - what oci should I plan on - fairly normal/ easy driving. Will not be doing black stone samples

There is nothing to be gained by running a C30 oil over an A40 oil in this application.

Using an A40 oil, I would be comfortable with 10k/1yr.

My two cents. It's possible that Porsche doesn't spec 504/507 for marketing reasons but who knows. After all, just about every 504/507 oil on the shelf also has C30. Theses oils are based on the ACEA C3 specification. BMW LL04 and Mercedes 229.51 are as well.

I would stick with the C30 flavor and just order it from parts houses. Sure you can find A40 buy I don't like running 40w oils for urban driving. ,Yes I know these oils are light 40's and the C30 is a heavy 30 but still.

FCP Euro has a kit for sale. $90 for everything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back