Filled With Wrong Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE:
I contacted an employee that works in the service department that I have known for 5 yrs. The tech did put 5w30 in and the invoice was incorrect. As there is zero difference in performance and no additional startup or running noises, I am going to run it for 5 months until my next OC.
Thanks everyone for the input.

Not surprising. . Unless you have variable valve timing, it won't be an issue. Have seen many engines with VVT react badly to 30 weight oils if 20 is spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zaffo757
Not surprising. . Unless you have variable valve timing, it won't be an issue. Have seen many engines with VVT react badly to 30 weight oils if 20 is spec.

Interesting, how does it react badly?

So when the oil is cold or warming up (at least not at operating temperature) it does the same thing?

Originally Posted by kschachn

Just internet hearsay. Used 5W50 on a car spec'ing 5W30 with no ill effects. Better idle oil pressure when hot.

So when the oil is cold or warming up (at least not at operating temperature) it does the same thing?

VVT is electronically controlled by solenoids. They don't operate until the engine is at operating temperature.

O.P., Nissan corporate may be interested to know that a dealer is using the wrong materials and saying "it's OK don't worry" when you question them.
It "may not" hurt your engine to run this interval on thinner oil viscosity, but if you do change it out, at least you will know it's running the specified oil. I don't know about anyone else but I call that peace of mind... running proper fluids in the vehicle(s) that I depend on for so many things.

There are threads on many of the Dodge, Ram, and Jeep forums of problems occurring with the VVT and MDS systems on 5.7 HEMI V-8's, coming from using non specified oils. Computers throwing codes, excessive "ticking", along with other issues. I'm not seeing any advantage to using thicker, non specified oils in these engines. Even if you were to get away with it, where is the supposed reward?

I live in one of the hottest cities in the nation. The Jeep dealer here puts in 5W-20 in all their 5.7 HEMI's. All year long. Summer (120F), or Winter (50F). It's much the same in Phoenix. All I've ever used is Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20 and I've never had any oil related issues.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx

VVT is electronically controlled by solenoids. They don't operate until the engine is at operating temperature.

Interesting. Since the acronym VVT is many different things depending on platform/make/model, one should be careful.

Since most any model that actually moves the cam uses OIL PRESSURE to do so, then how do they function with improper viscosity every time they start up cold?

My 14 RAM 5.7 will drop to 4 cylinder operation even when first started and driven dead cold, 30W or 20W no perceptible difference. Cam rotation is not detectable except at high rpms....

One of the biggest issues to pop up from using heavier viscosity oils in these engines, (5.7 HEMI V-8), is the P1521 Code. Basically caused by using incorrect viscosity engine oil.........

P1521-INCORRECT ENGINE OIL TYPE
•When Monitored: Engine Running.
•Set Condition: Using the oil pressure, oil temperature and other vital engine inputs the PCM can determine the engine oil viscosity. Incorrect viscosity will effect the operation of the MDS by delaying cylinder activation.
Possible Causes INCORRECT ENGINE OIL TYPE
ENGINE OIL CONTAMINATION ENGINE OIL
Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding.
Diagnostic Test

1. ACTIVE DTC
NOTE: Review the customers oil change history. Ensure the customers is using the correct engine oil viscosity. If the incorrect oil is being used, change the oil, using the correct engine oil viscosity.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Just internet hearsay. Used 5W50 on a car spec'ing 5W30 with no ill effects. Better idle oil pressure when hot.

Um...OK. There are some systems like the Ford used on the Duratech that will act up with heavier oil. It needs 5W20. Not heresay or conhjectur. If you engine acts up, change the oil. Don't; just dumb a$$ your way through it.

Last edited:

Um...OK. There are some systems like the Ford used on the Duratech that will act up with heavier oil. It needs 5W20. Not heresay or conhjectur. If you engine acts up, change the oil. Don't; just dumb a$$ your way through it.

Are you saying these Duratech engines will "act up" running on 0W30 or 5W30 oil? I have my doubts.

Are you saying these Duratech engines will "act up" running on 0W30 or 5W30 oil? I have my doubts. [/quote]

Yes. My mother's Mazda CX9 with a 3.7 FORD Duratech and several other Explorers near me with VVT experienced "no valve timing advance"
conditions with 10W & 5W/30 from quick lube places. I told them to read the oil cap and the manual.

Fluid - 5w20 / 0W20 fixed. The tolerances are very tight. Just cause BMW sells 5W60 does not mean you can put it in all cars and it will be OK.

Specs matter.

GM 3.6L with over 150K. Oil gauge read on the low side though no light on. Nothing actually wrong, just don't like seeing the gauge so low. 5W50 took care of it will no ill effects.

GM 3.6L with over 150K. Oil gauge read on the low side though no light on. Nothing actually wrong, just don't like seeing the gauge so low. 5W50 took care of it will no ill effects.[/quote]

Amen to that! I had a 69 Mustang with over 150k miles and the mains had so much slop the crank would slam around till the oil pressure came up with 10w30. Moved to straight 30 and 40 as the miles added up.
A cut out switch for the coil allowed me to crank for 5-10 seconds or so to get the oil moving before hitting the "CONTACT" switch and blammo! Off she went.

Many engines can run on about anything from the discount store...these new fangled things...not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back