Wrong part listed on sales receipt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently ordered a Bosch battery, to be sold and installed by PepBoys. They were unable to locate the specific Bosch battery I ordered, so at the time of install they substituted it with a comparable Champion one. They informed me about it in advance, and I gave them the go ahead. However, the final sales receipt still shows that I bought a Bosch battery, because that's what my original online order stated. I asked the PepBoys employee that rung me up if this would pose a problem if I were to ever try to make a warranty claim. Of course he said "don't worry about it." He had major problems trying to ring me up in the first place, so I'm guessing trying to fix the error on the receipt would have exceeded his skill level.

Would you go back to the store and ask them to straighten out this receipt?

I'd roll the dice and hope I never needed any warranty service on the battery. Usually they are good for the life of the warranty. Trying to get the records change is probably as easy as trying to pull a sore tooth from an angry and hurting grizzly bear out in the wild. Life be too short to try and accomplish the impossible.

Yes, I would. At the minimum, have a store manager write on the receipt about the substitution, model number, sign & date it.

Yeah you dont have a warranty. Some guy in 2.5 years is going to believe your story that you bought a Bosch battery and they installed a different brand?

Your receipt says one thing and if they look it up it says the same thing. What's under your hood is different than both of those. You have no warranty as far as anyone in the future is concerned.

Yes, go back and get it corrected for sure. Chances of that employee being around or recalling what happened in the event you have issues with the battery are slim to none. At this point you have no proof you purchased the battery that is in your vehicle.

Originally Posted by atikovi
I'd definitely want the Bosch if putting in the BMW or Audi if for nothing else but looks.
It wasn't an option. PepBoys told me they just stopped carrying Bosch batteries because they were getting too many complaints/returns/warranty claims. No idea if true, but it is what it is. I really don't care about the logo on top of the battery, especially on a 17-year-old winter beater.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by atikovi
I'd definitely want the Bosch if putting in the BMW or Audi if for nothing else but looks.
It wasn't an option. PepBoys told me they just stopped carrying Bosch batteries because they were getting too many complaints/returns/warranty claims. No idea if true, but it is what it is. I really don't care about the logo on top of the battery, especially on a 17-year-old winter beater.

I'd get it fixed. Champion also has rebates. Champion is made by JCI, Bosch was Exide. Champion was the right choice.

http://img.rewardpromo.com/1/7664/22335.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Seems like the cashier should have refunded your Bosch purchase and given you an override price on the Champion battery substitution. A 10 year old could figure that out.

++++ A refund and rebill would have been the simple and proper way to handle this. I'd go back to the store and do this, otherwise you will have problems if warranty issues arise.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
I recently ordered a Bosch battery, to be sold and installed by PepBoys. They were unable to locate the specific Bosch battery I ordered, so at the time of install they substituted it with a comparable Champion one. They informed me about it in advance, and I gave them the go ahead. However, the final sales receipt still shows that I bought a Bosch battery, because that's what my original online order stated. I asked the PepBoys employee that rung me up if this would pose a problem if I were to ever try to make a warranty claim. Of course he said "don't worry about it." He had major problems trying to ring me up in the first place, so I'm guessing trying to fix the error on the receipt would have exceeded his skill level.

Would you go back to the store and ask them to straighten out this receipt?

Yes, if you're concerned about warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back