BITOG Forums really need a RATING SYSTEM for Threads or Replies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some threads and/or replies are just plain horrible and stupid, mine's included I'm sure.

Simple examples would be bad subject titles, non well thought out threads, etc...

Please consider a 5 star rating system or something!

You know I'm right.

Oh and BTW, not one member here gave me a welcome smiley.
mad.gif

I've lurked here on and off for many years, learn lots, some shilling exists but that's okay
sick.gif

Glad to be here!

happy2.gif

Last edited:
There could be merit in your suggestion ...

The upside is that perhaps folks who post silly, inane topics might "get the hint" after getting pummeled with a thousand dislikes.
The downside is that it can become a "pile on" mentality, and just start a war of words.

The staff and owner will consider the topic.

I think that the rating system already exists...sorta!
It's in the number of responses a specific thread garners compared to their hits. I look at lots of thread due to their subject/title and don't respond for whatever reason. When a thread dies quickly with few responses, that sorta tells us something doesn't it?

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Even a simple "Like" button would be nice.

Like button is enough (similar to folks who use + now) …
IMO, too much critique will incite word riots …

Controversial subjects … or subjective matter ("best" should ring a bell) seem to run for many pages while members try to micrometer a brick.

10 ppm vs 15 ppm is a huge percentage increase, right ?

Originally Posted by discountdon

Just outta curiosity, would putting a whole bunch of those little annoying, meaningless cartoon things in a post be a good reason to rate a thread as thumbs down or zero stars?

And if you don't get yer deserved "welcome smiley", do you get to give a thumbs down to everyone who failed to prop up your self esteem and include that little cartoon that means so much to you?

Inquiring minds want to know how it would work.

Folks mentioned Amazon having fake ratings … often in the positive direction.

What's more annoying to me, is to know the subject is a high quality product … but they get the lowest mark because the moron at checkout can't count 35 cents …

I don't see the value in such a system and with the recent troll army influx it would give them a tool to irritate members even more.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

Just outta curiosity, would putting a whole bunch of those little annoying, meaningless cartoon things in a post be a good reason to rate a thread as thumbs down or zero stars?

And if you don't get yer deserved "welcome smiley", do you get to give a thumbs down to everyone who failed to prop up your self esteem and include that little cartoon that means so much to you?

Inquiring minds want to know how it would work.

We also need an 'ignore button' and a 'enemy list' here!!!

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Even a simple "Like" button would be nice.

Not unless there was also a "dislike" button as well. But I guess that wouldn't be politically correct as it could hurt the feelings of some sensitive members who view posting in internet forums as some sort of validation.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I don't see the value in such a system and with the recent troll army influx it would give them a tool to irritate members even more.

That's where a like button would shine. It won't help or hurt trolls.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Controversial subjects … or subjective matter ("best" should ring a bell) seem to run for many pages while members try to micrometer a brick.

10 ppm vs 15 ppm is a huge percentage increase, right ?

I'd buy any snake oil that advertises 50% more additives than the next leading competitor
banana2.gif

On the Mercedes Forum which I frequent, there is a "like" button. I find it useful. When another poster makes a good suggestion, or diagnosis, I can simply hit "like", instead of typing out a replay that simply says "+1". Other posters can see who "liked" a post. I find it convenient and useful.

There is only a "like". No "dislike". No "thumbs down". So, it's only positive feedback/reinforcement.

I spend my time in an obscure corner of that Forum, in the W220 (S-class 2000-2006) section*, so I don't see the traffic or volume that BITOG generates.

I wonder how it would work in the BITOG context.

There is no way I would want a full "feedback" system, a la Facebook or eBay, it would provide a means for "piling on" and some real "mob mentality" on particularly controversial topics and posts.

But the "like" button is worth considering.

* https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220-s-class.25/ if anyone is interested in how the "like" button works/appears.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
On the Mercedes Forum which I frequent, there is a "like" button. I find it useful. When another poster makes a good suggestion, or diagnosis, I can simply hit "like", instead of typing out a replay that simply says "+1".

But that wouldn't increase your post count, which some users live for.

I go to Reddit when i want to see the deeper discussions.. upvoting or downvoting on every post. When someone gets downvoted they usually retort back.

I prefer this forum to stay as is.. instead of a like, or thumbs down people actually still have to use words to say their opinions and dont feel the need to be scrutinized for their opinions or thoughts.

If you asked me on the street how i liked the brand of tires on my car.. should i give you a thumbs up?

We also need an 'ignore button' and a 'enemy list' here!!!

You have one already, you can ignore anyone you want. But it's kind of a joke that a new user is already sufficiently agitated to want an enemy list.

With some of the attitudes here and constant need for affirmation, I think some individuals should have an "allow" button instead.

No way, IMO. What makes those "voting" to be any more qualified than the poster that they're giving a rating to ? It will become a buddy boy network with folks up-voting anything and everything that someone they like posts and down-voting posts from people they don't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back