World's largest welding rod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by tig1
Many years ago I welded with 2021 drag rods that were 36 inches long on cargo ships.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=457755075097595

I have only welded with 7018 and 6013 welding rods. I had no idea welding rods were as long as 36" inches let alone 4 footers!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by irv
Originally Posted by tig1
Many years ago I welded with 2021 drag rods that were 36 inches long on cargo ships.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=457755075097595

I have only welded with 7018 and 6013 welding rods. I had no idea welding rods were as long as 36" inches let alone 4 footers!
crazy2.gif

My bad. They were 7024 rods.

Steel mill I used to work for used 36 inch wide electrodes that were 20 feet long and would screw together to melt the scrap steel into a 300 ton puddle. This was called an EAF or electric arc furnace if your interested enough to look it up.

Originally Posted by spk2000
Steel mill I used to work for used 36 inch wide electrodes that were 20 feet long and would screw together to melt the scrap steel into a 300 ton puddle. This was called an EAF or electric arc furnace if your interested enough to look it up.

EAFs are impressive and frightening!

Arcing and sparking all around. It's been years for me, but I used to help run/service onsite oxygen plants at steel mills, etc.

Last edited:
Wow! Its still red while they were chipping away the slag!

I'm surprised a regular welding helmet is enough, could you even use auto darkening or would the brief flash be too much? Has to be a lot of UV coming off that rod.

Originally Posted by JTK
Originally Posted by spk2000

EAFs are impressive and frightening! Arcing and sparking all around. It's been years for me, but I used to help run/service onsite oxygen plants at steel mills, etc.

I remember when I was an apprentice, our class took a tour of Finkl Steel in Chicago. They had a huge carbon arc furnace they melted scrap in. They were just finishing loading it when we showed up.

The guy giving the tour said we would stay to watch the initial start up, it would be worth it. They loaded just about everything into that heat. From old engine blocks to just about any type of scrap you could think of.

When they finally cranked it up there was a loud crackling roar, and you could hear big pieces and whole engine blocks banging around inside. He told us the amount of electric it consumed, but I can't remember what it was. He did say it was so much that in the Summer they only ran it at night, because it was much more cost effective. This was back in the early 70's.

In the Summer it got so hot in the place, that the guys running the open die forging presses could go home without an excuse if the outside temperature was over 90F.

Originally Posted by spasm3

I'm surprised a regular welding helmet is enough, could you even use auto darkening or would the brief flash be too much? Has to be a lot of UV coming off that rod.

The shade isn't what protects from UV and IR even clear plastic protects from UV and IR. The shade is for comfort and to see the work clearly.

Originally Posted by tom slick
Originally Posted by spasm3

The shade isn't what protects from UV and IR even clear plastic protects from UV and IR. The shade is for comfort and to see the work clearly.

For comfort? I guess like keeping your eyes from the flashes.

Been over 30yrs since the shipyard for me,new work mostly. Main deck and hull seams were Veed with a track torch and then welded by a tacked welder running 1/4 wire through a bed of flux.Largest stick were 7/32 x 2'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back