Battery diagnosis

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Saturday my 89 year old Marine stepfather passed putting a lot of things in motion. I had to take care of business and he is 70 miles away. I was due for an oil change so last night when I parked I checked my mileage to get a head start on my oil change. I had one minor problem. l left the key in ignition just where I left it when recording mileage. This afternoon found the battery dead. Trying to revive it with my 6 amp charger all afternoon. I am at 25% charge. Charger instructions said it will charge fast at first then goes slower. I am hoping by morning to see some progress. Instructions say you can start the car at 77% charge. I need the car in working order by early afternoon. I have a few questions.

How much damage long term did I do?

I will be driving 2 hours tomorrow then 3 hours Saturday when returning from funeral. I am thinking all the driving will help the situation. When things settle down was going to have the battery tested. Just so happens dealership has a Free Battery Test coupon that arrived in the mail today. Autozone can do it also test it. OEM battery has been great.

Thoughts. Suggestions? Thanks!

battery charger.jpg

Since it was not dead long, you will be ok with only possible minimal battery damage. If the battery is more than 3 years old, you should probably just replace it. A 6 amp charger is not very powerful and will take at least 8hrs to charge that battery. You may have enough charge after 6hrs to crank it and drive. You should invest in a 12 -15 amp charger if you can.

Forgot to say. It is 2017 Elantra built around Thanksgiving 2016 so battery is right at 3 years old. Charger light is green/fully charged now.

As far as replacing it that is something I may do. Will be needing to make a lot of trips and hour a way for a while.

Yep , start shopping for a more " powerful " charger .

Do not be surprised if you do end up replacing the battery . Remember , winter is approaching . 34F this morning .

Sad to hear ,of the passing of your step father . :-(

When things settle down I will just go to the dealership to get a battery. I see in the future I will be going there for my service needs. I am also responsible for someone else and when they go I will not have a garage for a bigger charger. Unfortunately, they are not dong great right now.

My stepfather's passing was a blessing. He did not recognize family and friends. He had to be hoyer lifted in and out of bed. He went peacefully and unexpectedly.

Sorry for your loss, glad it was a relatively easy one.

Sounds like your battery should be replaced so it does not leave you on the road somewhere

Get a smart charger, the battery today is called upon on so many more things and doesn't last as long as in the past, but it needs smart chargers that can desulafte if necessary.

I want to do everything I can to prevent a stranded on the road situation. I will be traveling more in rural MO until some things are resolved. When I saw the lawyer Wednesday I was stuck behind a tractor and string of cars a few miles before I got to her office.

At work I am required to have a Class E license to transport people. Not pleasant when you are stranded and need to call the on call supervisor or manager and wait until they arrive.

Don't overpay for a battery at the dealer. Their batteries are not better nor special. There are only a few companies that make batteries (Exide, Johnson Controls for example) and they slap different labels on them for whoever is selling them. I have found the best deal going is Walmart's EverStart battery - 3 year free replacement/5 yr pro-rate warranty and there are 24hr Walmarts dang near in every town to service you. Plus - they are the best priced and meet specs fine.

Originally Posted by GMBoy
Don't overpay for a battery at the dealer. Their batteries are not better nor special. There are only a few companies that make batteries (Exide, Johnson Controls for example) and they slap different labels on them for whoever is selling them. I have found the best deal going is Walmart's EverStart battery - 3 year free replacement/5 yr pro-rate warranty and there are 24hr Walmarts dang near in every town to service you. Plus - they are the best priced and meet specs fine.

Agree. I've been using Walmart batteries for years. I've only had one that failed during the 3 year replacement. No issues exchanging it.

Thanks for the Walmart tip. I have one close. I think I will go that route. Battery and car performed flawlessly. Funeral went well. With battery would rather be safe than sorry. We may get snow Monday. I don't remember it ever snowing this early in Missouri? I think it is going to be one of those winters where you want a new battery.

I looked up my battery at Wal-Mart and only listed AGM battery for about $150 with 5 year warranty. Auto Zone and Advance says AGM battery close to or over $200 with 3 year warranty. Went to Wal-Mart completely out of my battery. A 15 minute wait to just have some one to tell me when they will be stocked. I left and checked SAMs next door. No batteries listed for my car in stock. Called dealership. Parts said my battery is a AGM. They have two choices. An AGM for $244 you can pick up yourself or an A/C Delco AGM they have to install for $179 with 2 year warranty. Apart from warranty is very competitive from what I see. Wal-Mart is terrible when I have used their service center. Lost a tire I had ordered in. Wait times are crazy. Batteries may be good, but what you have to go through may not be worth it to me.

Last edited:
Tested battery at dealership and it is good. They were nice and sent me on my way without a charge. AGM is pricey but amazing to me. Looks like I can get another 3 years out of this one (cross fingers).
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back