Convert B&S Engine to Self Propelled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My free mower saga continues. I swapped engines over the summer and got the mower running good!

About a month ago, I decided to run the rotted out deck mower and the bad engine up to the recycle pile at the dump. The next day I managed to drive over the good mower with my pickup (long story). It's mangled pretty good and I probably could have salvaged parts off of the one I threw out to make it work. That's what I get for de-hoarding.

So I was given a Murry self propelled mower. It, too, has the same Briggs 675 190CC engine. It has no spark. Rather than checking the coil and figuring out why it doesn't work I was going to swap the engine. But it appears the bottom of the crank may be different? It doesn't appear to be some sort of keyway I can change. Unless i'm missing something.

Is this even possible? Or should I start playing swaptronics with the coil and shroud from the crushed mower.

Dumb stuff happens, I was putting the winter tire set away from the 2010 accent and somehow I left the sockets(2) and lug nuts on the trunk in a box and drove off.. never found them again.

I'd probably just start over with a clearance mower or craigslist cheapie.

If you have the 'stubby shaft' PTO remaining, you would resort to a crankshaft swap between the two to get that extra key way to drive a self-propel pulley.
Time consuming yes but self-propel is my favorite push mower feature.
Do it & save any spares you salvage, junk the rest........again. Most of the newer engines have that extra keyway. : (

Originally Posted by Rand
Dumb stuff happens, I was putting the winter tire set away from the 2010 accent and somehow I left the sockets(2) and lug nuts on the trunk in a box and drove off.. never found them again.

I'd probably just start over with a clearance mower or craigslist cheapie.

So that's where those came from.

It may work as long as the blade adapter swaps over and snugs up. But if your location is like mines, just keep an eye on the free classifieds and something will pop up. I told myself I was done hoarding when the leaves fell, but I've been finding freebie Toro's almost every other day.

I could just swap the other engine and not use the self propelled. Not that it's something I would use anyway. The blade adapter and pulley for the front drive doesn't seem to come off. I tried to get it off. So looks like it may be a unique crankshaft.

Originally Posted by Miller88
I could just swap the other engine and not use the self propelled. Not that it's something I would use anyway. The blade adapter and pulley for the front drive doesn't seem to come off. I tried to get it off. So looks like it may be a unique crankshaft.

There should be a set screw on the thicker part of the engine pulley. They tend to lock in place after a few years.
And finding another engine (as mentioned above) would be easier than a crank swap I mentioned earlier.

It's not a special crankshaft. There's no way the engine could be put together if it were a permanent part. Like @vw7674 said, the blade adapter is supposed to come off, but they often get hopelessly rusted in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back