Decent 1911 For Less Than $500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My youngest son has a passion for these pistols (the .45ACP bug never bit me, but I do have a Glock 30S).

Any recommendations for a decent pistol I can get him as a first time pistol?

TIA!

9mm, 10mm, 45acp?

Though a little over your budget,
Cabelas currently has new LW Kimbers in 9mm and 45 acp for 599$ here:
https://www.cabelas.com/product/KIMBER-LW-SEMI-AUTO-PISTOLS/3471092.uts?slotId=2

I looked at one over the weekend. They're pretty decent.I guess kimber is making these budget models to compete with the budget market.

Speaking of the budget market:

The newish Taurus 1911s are decent, they're around 100$ cheaper than the Kimbers through Davidsons/Gallery of Guns I rented one and had 2-3 in groupings in 45 acp, no FTF/FTE in the 150 rounds fired.

Rock Island is around the same price as the Taurus, the ones I've shot left me with more to be desired. Felt loose, had 2 FTF in 50 rounds. I would buy one honestly to upgrade or use as a range toy, but I wouldnt let my life depend on it

Last edited:
Has he ever shot one? I bought one without ever shooting one, much less a couple pistols. Way to big and powerful for me. I could shoot it fine, accuracy wasn't there though. And .45ACP is way more pricey than 9MM.

I had a cheap full size Rock Island 1911-A1. It was nice, especially for the money. I just couldn't master it, off it went. I did get almost all my money back out of it. So it was a nice "rental".

The Rock Island GI models are hard to beat at that price.

I have one in 38 Super, and a couple of friends have them in 45 ACP. My Super is old enough that it still has the much maligned "billboard" on the slide. The newer ones have dispensed with that for more subtle roll markings.

In any case, they're nice and sloppy in the places that they're meant to be, so consequently tend to run very well with about any ammo right out of the box. Don't take "sloppy" to mean "inacurate" though-they're not a hand fitted match gun, but can certainly hold their own against similarly specced models from other makers.

Rock Island or maybe a Springfield GI/Milspec (you might find one for slightly over 500.)

Thing to know about Taurus is that nothing on them is really standard, proprietary sights and such... Kimber has some of that as well, but at least they are common enough for there to be spares available. I'm not a Kimber fan but if it was them or Taurus...

I'm sure I'll take heat for this, but for what you can buy a Colt O1991, O1970CS, O1911M or O1911C for.... I wouldn't even think of anything else... granted it extends your budget quite a bit.... Springer would be my second choice and after that I'd probably just buy a camshaft or something...

lol.gif

I'd go RIA, just because that means you can get something other than an entry model GI grade for the budget. Something with dovetailed adjustable sights and checkering on the grip should be a place to start.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
what experience with handguns does he have? A 1911 .45 is not a gun for a novice to start on
Quite a bit; he shoots .357SIG regularly and my Glock 30S. He manages .45ACP with no issues.

For what it's worth, most of the used 1911s I've found have been shot little, and have been in great shape. I started with a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup (bought it in the early 70s), then went to Commanders after finding I liked shooting a buddy's at the range. Ended up with 2 Colt Commander range guns and a Para Ord P13 for the extra capacity. The Para was dirty and the mag was bad (probably weak spring left loaded for years), sold to me for cheap, ran like a champ with a cleaning and new mag.
If you have time to look for a used Colt it will be a quality piece that takes standard parts, and will never lose value. All the used ones I bought were cheaper than a new lesser brand.

Edit, just saw the above post. Springfield also has an excellent reputation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Thanks all; I will see if I can find a used RIA for him.

Not that there's any downside to buying used(I highly recommend it, and probably have only bought a half dozen guns new out of easily 50 or better I've owned in my life) but the RIAs are inexpensive enough that you can buy new under your $500 budget. A quick check at Bud's shows the GI model selling for either a bit over or under $400 depending on the specific configuration.

Springfield Mil/Spec mentioned will be just a bit over 500, the new Kimber (they make a heck of a 1911 despite the haters on the net) is an absolute steal. In a Phillipine gun the Metro Arms American Classics are a bit more than Rock Islands but they are also a step above them as well.

Gotta love a 1911 whatever he gets have fun.

Originally Posted by Mr_Joe
Check TX Armslist for a slightly used one. Yes, take normal precautions when doing a meetup.

When I meet to do this its always at my Gun club very public with lots of people around that also have guns.

Originally Posted by JasonC
Springfield Defender 1911 for $499 is the best deal for an American made 1911.

THIS is the correct answer in this post. Why? Because Springfield for the past 18 months or so, have been putting guns (first the XD line, now the mil spec 1911) on deep discount for 3-6 months, and selling them in their "defender" line. Same gun, $100-$200 off. So right now you can get a Springfield Defender 1911 for about $500. Normally this is an over $700 pistol. Its made in America, and is a good pistol.

Or you could get a Turkish gun for $450 or a Philippines gun for $450-$500.

I'd rather get the $700 American gun (for $500), that appreciates $200 the minute you buy it. Because once the Defender sales program is over, and you cant buy $500 Springfield's any longer, now its a $700 gun again.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-mil-spec-defenders-series/

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Springfield+PBD9108L&s=g

As cheap as about $450.
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/706397926588

I have this gun. I couldnt pass it up. Paid $450 for it. And stole it at that price. The positives are that its been 100% reliable though 500 rounds so far, and it has better sights than mil-spec sights. I never cared for the mil-spec WW2 style sights, and this gun has very decent sights out of the box.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Originally Posted by JasonC
Springfield Defender 1911 for $499 is the best deal for an American made 1911.

THIS is the correct answer in this post. Why? Because Springfield for the past 18 months or so, have been putting guns (first the XD line, now the mil spec 1911) on deep discount for 3-6 months, and selling them in their "defender" line. Same gun, $100-$200 off. So right now you can get a Springfield Defender 1911 for about $500. Normally this is an over $700 pistol. Its made in America, and is a good pistol.

Or you could get a Turkish gun for $450 or a Philippines gun for $450-$500.

I'd rather get the $700 American gun (for $500), that appreciates $200 the minute you buy it. Because once the Defender sales program is over, and you cant buy $500 Springfield's any longer, now its a $700 gun again.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-mil-spec-defenders-series/

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=Springfield+PBD9108L&s=g

As cheap as about $450.
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/706397926588

I have this gun. I couldnt pass it up. Paid $450 for it. And stole it at that price. The positives are that its been 100% reliable though 500 rounds so far, and it has better sights than mil-spec sights. I never cared for the mil-spec WW2 style sights, and this gun has very decent sights out of the box.

Thanks Bubbatime - the Springfield fits the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back