The BITOG Oil Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bitog is more like "I just bought a [cheap beater] and i insist on over maintaining it and changing the oil more often than deemed necessary by the MFG and oil analysis."

Originally Posted by Fawteen

You need 2 people to tell you that you should have purchased a Ferrari. One more to tout the benefits of Maserati over Porsche or Ferrari. At least 3 to tell you all the ways that Toyota is superior to Porsche even though Toyota is boring. 5 more will scold you for making payments, and one to tell you how much faster his Honda is after he put Porsche badges on it.

WORD!

I'm having the same problem with wifey's Tesla.
Try finding an oil filter, or spark plugs...

Lemme know what you find out.

Originally Posted by buster
Guys I just bought a new $85,000 Porsche. I went to the store to buy Mobil 1 @ $23 per 5qt jug, but it was too expensive. Should I run Dollar General 0w40 instead? Thanks

You meant ... " I bought a new $ 85 000 Porsche, and I went to the dealer for the first oil change, but decided that $ 400.00 was too expensive ... !

If I were on the hook for $85K in a car, I probably couldn't afford the gasoline, let alone the oil....

Oils can't meet 0W-40 without using a significant quantity of synthetic base-stocks. All 0W-40 oils currently available are synthetics. So if Dollar General offers a 0W-40 synthetic, either the contents of the bottle are complete fakery, in which there might be a basis to sue the company for damage to your engine if it causes damage. Or they're marketing what may very well be a decent quality 0W-40 fluids for cheap (even Mobil-1 or Amsoil probably doesn't cost the manufacturer more than $1/quart to make from basestocks, especially given cheap natural gas these days).

So using the Dollar General 0W-40 might not be the end of the world...

Nah, you don't have to change the oil, it is too expensive.
banana2.gif

Just make sure that you buy an oil that has the latest PF - A40 (Project Farm Approval)

Last edited:
Nowhere in your part of the country that you can run that car hard enough for long enough to need a forty grade and Porsche seems pretty backward with their oil recommendations anyway.
A couple of jugs of ST 0W-20 should be all the oil you need along with the cheapest Chinese knock-off oil filter you can find on fleabay or scamazon and we all know that the average Porsche owner is concerned about another .5 mpg in typical use.
The engine will likely survive the length of the lease and the wannabe who buys it as a CPO runner will have a nice warranty to fall back on.
Win-Win!

Hey Buster … when are you going to update your signature with this "dream car" … ?

Originally Posted by buster
Guys I just bought a new $85,000 Porsche. I went to the store to buy Mobil 1 @ $23 per 5qt jug, but it was too expensive.

If a proper high protection oil is too expensive your new toy, you can't afford the toy in any event.

Just never change the oil. Just top off as needed with what you can find at Dollar Tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back