Premium Fuel-Porsche Cayenne

Status
Not open for further replies.
wife just got a Porsche Cayenne- V6-

Is premium fuel the way to go? WOuld definitely think so with the turbo V8, but is it needed with the V6?

I know best performance will come with premium but it is my understanding that computer makes adjustments for regular fuel. so for Just everyday driving is regular grade oK or is damage/negative effects a concern?

In before the "You bought a rich people car so use the rich people gas" crowd joins

If premium is required, running lower octane fuel might not hurt it, but you'll get worse fuel economy and lower power. Around here 93 premium is ~$0.60 more per gallon vs 87... or about $8 on a 13 gallon fill up.

Last edited:
it definitely says premium recommended.

but so does our GMC denali and we have run 87 for the last 50K miles without any issues.

i get the porsche isn't the same as a GMC but also dont feel the V6 porsche is on the same level as most other porsche when it comes to performance

will probably go ahead and run premium but wanting to get some ideas of issues 87 would cause

Originally Posted by ad244
In before the "You bought a rich people car so use the rich people gas" crowd joins

While True ^^^

However... If an extra say $12 a tank fill up is a issue for this person.... They should not have bought a car like this.... Seriously that is not a huge amount of money at the end of the day.

My car gets 93... $12 extra per tank 20 gallons.... It does not bother me... My car manual recommend 93 octane in there for a reason. Run that gas and the car runs in optimal fashion or run cheap gas and the car run poorly.

Nothing like seeing someone buy el welfaro tires for their really nice/expensive vehicle... It made me just shake my head.

Last edited:
My cost per year total is around a extra $1200 a year spread out across 52 weeks. Cable had cost close to double that... Just cut that bill by $110 a month. That alone just about off sets the gasoline price difference.

Is that a decent bit of money $1200?? Ok, sure maybe. But it does not come anywhere near being a proverbial "bank breaker" .

Not trying to give you a hard time here. Just think about what else you spend a lot more money on throughout the year... It may surprise you a bit.

I buy a bag of charcoal every week throughout the year... At now $13 a bag for what I use... Kingsford Hardwood... It cost about $700 per year... Plus I get big wood chunks that add about another $50 to that total. That a bit of money there too...

However... I may go out to eat in a restaurant 2 maybe 3 times in a year. The money I spend on charcoal easily is way cheaper than eating out a whole, whole lot more often.
I just made 2 ribeye steaks that we're actually graded Prime for $21.... That meal out in a restaurant would have cost my lady and I well over $80-90 probably $100 in all likelihood... Now that charcoal looks cheaper by the second. I cook on the grill 3 times a week. We have meals off that throughout the week.

Last edited:
Even our three Volkswagens spec premium, and they get it. You can tell the difference when they don't. Surely your Porsche should. I prefer Shell's Nitro Plus stuff if its handy.

Last edited:
I owned an FCA product that had a sticker inside the gas door that read "91 octane recommended,, 87 octane acceptable ". Car lived it's whole life on on 87 octane without issues. It wasn't like I actually needed that last 5 horsepower.

Originally Posted by JunkdrawerDog
I owned an FCA product that had a sticker inside the gas door that read "91 octane recommended,, 87 octane acceptable ". Car lived it's whole life on on 87 octane without issues. It wasn't like I actually needed that last 5 horsepower.

The difference is FCA explicitly allows for that on some of their vehicles. My 5.7 hemi recommended 89 but said 87 was acceptable. I couldn't tell any difference. Put 87 in a SRT 6.4 or Hellcat though and you'll have a bad time. Just depends how the manufacturer has it tuned.

I'll tell you right now that even though my Atlas specs 87, it runs a helluva lot better on premium.

I tried premium at the urging of some members here; I didn't think it would make a difference but hoo boy - it smoothed out amazingly. Makes sense since the engine is unchanged and was spec'd for premium in every other car it was in. (Touareg, Passat, etc.)

I'll never go back to 87.

Originally Posted by jdw1222
it definitely says premium recommended.

but so does our GMC denali and we have run 87 for the last 50K miles without any issues.

i get the porsche isn't the same as a GMC but also dont feel the V6 porsche is on the same level as most other porsche when it comes to performance

will probably go ahead and run premium but wanting to get some ideas of issues 87 would cause

so you have the 6.2L in your GMC?
I have that engine in my Silverado...hook up a scanner and watch spark retard. With regular gas you will get double digit spark retard numbers under acceleration. With premium it will drop to single digit numbers...with E85 it will have full ignition advancement. Clearly there is a huge difference in performance/efficiency with higher octane fuels. I would predict the same is for your high performance Porsche, which is most likely pushing that timing even harder to get the most out of the engine.

if you don't care about max power and efficiency...run whatever you want.

3 of the four cars in my signature require premium, and only get fed the best. The X lives on whatever is cheapest ;-)

Last edited:
Every vehicle in my sig gets Top Tier 93 octane fuel except the Wrangler.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I'll tell you right now that even though my Atlas specs 87, it runs a helluva lot better on premium.

I tried premium at the urging of some members here; I didn't think it would make a difference but hoo boy - it smoothed out amazingly. Makes sense since the engine is unchanged and was spec'd for premium in every other car it was in. (Touareg, Passat, etc.)

I'll never go back to 87.

Yeah it should get premium for sure. I believe the change is simply trying to manipulate the cost of ownership numbers, rather than what is really best. JMO.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
If premium is required, running lower octane fuel might not hurt it, but you'll get worse fuel economy and lower power. Around here 93 premium is ~$0.60 more per gallon vs 87... or about $8 on a 13 gallon fill up.

There is no reason why it would get worse fuel economy decreased power definitely.

What's the manual say?

I use the minimum recommended octane rating. Mazda requires 87 minimum so I use 87. Alfa requires 87 minimum but recommends 91 so I use 91.

Been putting 87 in my is350 for about the last 120k and it's been fine, I drive 150 miles to work and back a day though so it's all freeway. In Cali 93 vs 87 is anywhere from $12 to $16 a tank, fill up every 2 days and that adds up to around $1800 to $1900 a year. There is a noticable difference in power vs 91 though, I don't see 93 around here.. been wanting to try some of that 104 they sell out by I5 near coalinga but I think it's like $13 a gallon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back