Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20, 9600 miles, 2017 Sienna 3.5 liter v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't ask for a better report. 35K on the vehicle so far, no make up oil was added between changes. Was concerned about Toyota's 10K mile, 1 year oil change schedule as I have always been a 5-7k OCI guy. Looks like I didn't need to worry and Toyota engineers got it right, at least with this engine and Pennzoil Platinum oil. So all you 5K synthetic oil change stalwarts (like me), please get a UOA as you may be wasting resources. Was about an 8 month interval with combination highway/short trips. Now have to check my Camry with the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder and 0w-16...................

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 245
It is a combination port and direct injected engine. I think Toyota and Ford are going with this dual setup. You get the benefit of no carbon buildup on the intake valves as the port injection cleans them, but the added power and fuel economy of direct injection. Hopefully it is reliable as there are 12 injectors that could fail instead of only six.

Honda seems to have avoided the carboning up of the valves with their GDI engines, but have fuel dilution in the lube oil. It is a waste to change syn at 5k miles, but until they can solve both issues, so be it.

As soon as I need to replace my 2003 4Runner with 4.7L v8 with 240,000 miles, I'll have no problem buying Toyota again...but that probably won't be for another 15 years at this rate.

Mazda hasn't had any serious carbon build up either in their Skyactiv engines.

Originally Posted by buster
Mazda hasn't had any serious carbon build up either in their Skyactiv engines.

I personally only know a guy who had to have his son's VW pulled open for CBU (while at college) …
Was looking at some F150's last year … the new V6 had the dual port injection …
(got a V8/V4 Silverado)

Originally Posted by mbell1968
It is a combination port and direct injected engine. I think Toyota and Ford are going with this dual setup. You get the benefit of no carbon buildup on the intake valves as the port injection cleans them, but the added power and fuel economy of direct injection. Hopefully it is reliable as there are 12 injectors that could fail instead of only six.

I had this in my 2007 Lexus. Dual injection is actually for performance purposes rather than cleaning.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...nes-have-both-port-and-direct-injection/

Couldn't ask for a better report. 35K on the vehicle so far, no make up oil was added between changes. Was concerned about Toyota's 10K mile, 1 year oil change schedule as I have always been a 5-7k OCI guy. Looks like I didn't need to worry and Toyota engineers got it right, at least with this engine and Pennzoil Platinum oil. So all you 5K synthetic oil change stalwarts (like me), please get a UOA as you may be wasting resources. Was about an 8 month interval with combination highway/short trips. Now have to check my Camry with the 2.5 liter 4 cylinder and 0w-16...................

thumbsup2.gif

I'll be watching re the Camry !!!!

Just emailed Polaris yesterday.
Will be following up myself, with my Lexus and UOAs.

I had this in my 2007 Lexus. Dual injection is actually for performance purposes rather than cleaning.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...nes-have-both-port-and-direct-injection/

I disagree, this is a direct quote from the article you cited. "The ultimate strategy is combining both PI and DI benefits, using each to diminish the other's negatives. Toyota, for example, fires both injectors during low to medium load and rpm conditions—in other words, during normal driving. This raises the density of the incoming charge without boosting and flushes carbon deposits off the intake valves. During high load and rpm circumstances, when maximum combustion chamber cooling is needed because detonation is more likely, DI handles all the fuel delivery." As I said, it is for BOTH cleaning and performance.

Last edited:
*Curious how Honda is avoiding intake valve carbon with their GDI engines ?
Originally Posted by zaffo757
Honda seems to have avoided the carboning up of the valves with their GDI engines, but have fuel dilution in the lube oil. It is a waste to change syn at 5k miles, but until they can solve both issues, so be it.

As soon as I need to replace my 2003 4Runner with 4.7L v8 with 240,000 miles, I'll have no problem buying Toyota again...but that probably won't be for another 15 years at this rate.

Probably similar to Mazda wth Skyactiv engines - making the valves run hotter to reduce buildup.

Very reliable. D4-S port and direct injection system is not new. Toyota has been using it for almost 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back