Accord v6 auto trans filter

Honda says there is no filter in their 5 speed auto for the 3.0 v6, but it is there. Under and behind the airbox.

At 130k miles even with drain and fills, it began to act really badly and I was ready to sell it. Instead found this filter, and changed it out. What a difference. Shameful Honda refuses to put this on the recommended maintenance schedule. Many probably died because this wasn't changed combined with lack of drain and fil long before their time.

2019-11-07_14-01-35.png

2019-11-07_14-02-34.png

It is weird that they don't mention them and I've heard of Honda service techs not even knowing they're there.

I know with the 2007 Honda Odyssey we owned years ago, the 4-shaft 5spd in it had one of these filters, but it's internal to the transmission and can only be replaced during a complete tear-down!

Pics of the old filter?

I sold my moms 98 V6 accord with around 175K..it had just begun to slip and i wanted rid of it.

My 2004 CRV has an inline filter right below the radiator and above the sub frame is hiding really well.

The cost is around 28 bucks and will be replacing it very soon.

Yep, my 2003 has that filter, and when they upgraded the 5 speed in 2006 they moved the stupid thing to behind the torque converter so you can't get to it without taking the trans and converter out. Real bonehead move on their part.

…. This is a first.....
Not really. Second link, I pm'd cchase after he did it to see how bad filter looked. His comment seen in link, not bad.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...rd-trans-filter-need-changing#Post921768

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...176284/honda-at-fluid-change#Post3176284

Actual filter element part number 25450-RAY-003. While I don't vouch for specific ebay listing, parts for change are shown and listed. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OE...0334360?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

Link member "namegoeshere" (scroll) has good information on filter change this link.

On an Odyssey forum, many people have changed these and based on visual inspection, they considered to be in great condition after 100k+ miles and felt it probably didn't need changed. Their opinion was if you change the ATF on a routine basis, which they did, it didn't need changed (just like Honda considers this filter).

I would also replace the pressure switches. There are 3 of them. I don't have the part numbers in front of me, but they tend to gradually fail over time as well.

Oops, 2 sensors. These are my notes and parts list from doing the job on my 2003:

28610-RAY-003 (1) - Sensor
28600-RAY-003 (1) - Sensor
90471-PW7-A00 (2) - Gasket for Sensor
25450-RAY-003 (1) - Trans Filter Element
91302-RAY-003 (1) - Trans Filter Element Gasket
91301-RAY-004 (1) - Trans Filter Housing Oring
94109-12000 (1) - Trans Filter Tube Washer (Ordered 1, but should replace both. In reality, I could have reused all of the metal washers)

Yep, my 2003 has that filter, and when they upgraded the 5 speed in 2006 they moved the stupid thing to behind the torque converter so you can't get to it without taking the trans and converter out. Real bonehead move on their part.
Not sure the source of that information, but know for a fact the 07 3.0L filter element location same as OP's, top of engine left side under air box housing. Diagram of 2007 3.0L confirms that, part #7.

https://www.hondapartscheap.com/aut...-cat/at-oil-level-gauge-atf-pipe-v6-scat

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
On an Odyssey forum, many people have changed these and based on visual inspection, they considered to be in great condition after 100k+ miles and felt it probably didn't need changed. Their opinion was if you change the ATF on a routine basis, which they did, it didn't need changed (just like Honda considers this filter).

True. I'm not sure it's still the case with the Odyssey, but ATF changes on them were easier than engine oil changes.

Originally Posted by JTK
True. I'm not sure it's still the case with the Odyssey, but ATF changes on them were easier than engine oil changes.

The hardest part with ATF changes on more modern Hondas was that their fill plugs appeared to have a cement bond coating that re-bonded the plug to the transmission body seemingly instantaneously. On our '05 Odyssey, I did (2) drain and fills a few months apart and I expected the plug to be tight the first time, and it was, but I didn't think it would feel just as tight a few months later. It did though ! It makes the scariest crack sound when you break it loose too ! Our son's '12 Accord was the same.

Oil changes on either the Odyssey didn't even require jacking it up. Turn the wheels to allow access to the oil filter (on the Accord as well) and it was high enough that you could squeeze under to remove the drain plug. Couldn't do that on the Accord since it's lower to the ground though.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Mine is a 2006. That filter was intact, but was in anything but good condition.

When I took the filter out the end caps broke off easily, the potting material that held the filter to the end caps was brittle, the filter was loose from the end caps on about half of one side, and the filter media was caked with friction material. Even with regular fluid drain and fill, given the erratic shifting I was experiencing, the filter media was clogged or nearly so. There is a bypass in this filter, so I bet this thing was running dirty fluid for years.

Noticed plenty of shiny metallic particles, some pretty significant, that have been in there for 13 years.

I'm really mad, but glad it got addressed.

P/N in other posts are correct. Mine came from Amazon.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Not sure the source of that information, but know for a fact the 07 3.0L filter element location same as OP's, top of engine left side under air box housing. Diagram of 2007 3.0L confirms that, part #7.

https://www.hondapartscheap.com/aut...-cat/at-oil-level-gauge-atf-pipe-v6-scat

I stand corrected. I thought they switched everything over to the same 3 shaft they used in the TL's, which is the one they put the filter in that location.

https://www.oemacuraparts.com/v-200...n-automatic--at-oil-level-gauge-atf-pipe

Last edited:
Wasn't there a TSB that added a line to the trans fill hole to dump oil right on top of 2nd gear in the 2000-ish 3.0s with the auto?
After that you had to refill the trans through the dipstick hole.

for the love of buddah, hust put a tiny spin on these things and make it easy!

The sealed transmissions freaks me out, but to be honest, the fluid in my 2003 4runner with 250k miles has always looked PERFECT when I vac out a gallon every year and replace.
Never dropped the pan, don't intend to.

Back