2004 F150 4R70 life expectancy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at picking up a cheap high miles (190k) ex highway commuter truck and was wondering what if any common issues may arise?

35.gif

I've been looking at a 2006 E-350 with the similar 4R75E, the 249K has me a little concerned, although it was fleet maintained & never overloaded (12 passenger van, no trailer hitch).

I have an 2004 f150 2wd with the 4r75w tow package. Bought from a buddy at 100,000 he had a dealer fluid exchange at 45,000 and I did a pan drop and filter when I bought it.

I am only at 110,000 now so I am not much help but everything seems fine.

I have spent some time on the f150 forum and there is not a lot of discussion about trans problems, of course when you get over 200K any trans is probably a potential problem IMHO

That's the issue I have-guy wants $2500 for it, but if it ends up needing a $3K or so transmission, not worth it. We had legendary problems with Econoline E4ODs in ‘90s era vans, I hope they've improved since then.

We have one in our 1999 E-150 that has 220k+ of hard miles on it. We bought the van with 180ish thousand so its very possible it was replaced/rebuilt at some point. Its old enough it has the drain plug on the torque converter though. It shuddered going into o/d when we purchased, but a full change with mercron V and a bottle of lubeguard red and its been perfect ever since.

If the truck you're looking at shifts good now I'd buy it and do a fluid change and drive without worry.

Originally Posted by The_Eric
Looking at picking up a cheap high miles (190k) ex highway commuter truck and was wondering what if any common issues may arise?

I was talking to the local trans guy recently saying how bullet proof the 4r70ws are and he told me he gets some in of that vintage with a snap ring that shatters and screws things up. I think it holds the OD servo. It is fixable if you drop the valve body. He showed me one on the bench.

Originally Posted by ford46guy

I was talking to the local trans guy recently saying how bullet proof the 4r70ws are and he told me he gets some in of that vintage with a snap ring that shatters and screws things up. I think it holds the OD servo. It is fixable if you drop the valve body. He showed me one on the bench.

Thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by ford46guy

Thanks for the tip!

Yup, FordTechMakuloco on Youtube has a video showing how to do it.

The 4R70W/4R75W are decent units!
When the Servo Snap Ring breaks......It can break the case right at the Snap Ring groove.
It probably worth while to preemptively change the snap ring & install a Sonnax O-ring 4th band apply pin part# 76833E.

The E4OD developed into a decent transmission......The 4R100
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back