Antique Car Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fall is a great time around here for car shows. A beautiful, sunny afternoon and dozens of shiny old cars to explore. My favorite class are the '50&60's American and British cars. Most car shows today have a fair sized contingent of much newer American cars. These of course are mostly displayed by younger enthusiasts. Even if I don't share their enthusiasm for that genre I appreciate the work and money they put into their cars. These cars will endure and maybe with luck someday become antiques too.

An observation from speaking to many of the older exhibitors about their vehicles; Most wonder what will happen to the real antiques once the owners get too old to travel to shows. Their heirs might have little interest in these cars. There can't be enough auto museums to house them all.

Thoughts/predictions?

[Linked Image]

57 chevy.jpg

Antiques? Those are the cars of my youth. And today.
I have often wondered what the value of these cars will do as people like me die off.
I love my Oldsey; it is one of the most original copies left.
But to many, it's junk.
My Vette is worth a fraction of what I have into it... Maybe $25 to $30K now if I had to guess.

The values on all but the top flight restored cars will fall precipitously. The average drivers will fall into disrepair and will wind up liquidated in countless estate auctions across the country. In 50 years no one will remember or even care. Enjoy them now while they're still relevant and you're healthy enough to drive.

I think it's like toy train sets. You would think that older pre-WWII models would be more valuable, but no its the post war models that the baby boomers are buying up the price. Not too many 85 year old's wanting to buy a train set to relive their youth and when they die, often times, their kids aren't interested in keeping them, so there's a surplus on the market.

Model T's and Model A's aren't that valuable because the people that experienced them are gone. 60's and early 70's muscle cars were king of the hill for 3 decades or more, but now can be outrun by a honda civic. And a Tesla outruns them all without making much noise at all.

I stopped going years ago. It's not that I don't like the cars. I'm tired of the lies swarming all over the place. Every small block Chevy is touted to be a 1970 LT1 out of a 70 Corvette . Every gto was owned by the monkeys etc..

I guess back in the early 70's Corvettes were just lying on the side of the roads ready and willing to give up their engines!

It so happens that I have Chevy casting numbers and head I d. In my brain. The last so called LT1 was a 1986 305!

Originally Posted by Chris142
I stopped going years ago. It's not that I don't like the cars. I'm tired of the lies swarming all over the place. Every small block Chevy is touted to be a 1970 LT1 out of a 70 Corvette . Every gto was owned by the monkeys etc..

I guess back in the early 70's Corvettes were just lying on the side of the roads ready and willing to give up their engines!

It so happens that I have Chevy casting numbers and head I d. In my brain. The last so called LT1 was a 1986 305!

Many other 350 cu in LT1 from the 90's. I own one, CASTING # is 327 used in 94-96 B and D bodies. Also F bodies and Corvette.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back