Brake fluid flush-best way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last time I did this the recommended way (flush thru the system starting furthest wheel from MC) that brake began leaking a week later. All the heavy crud went into the slave cylinder and settled there (drum brake) damaging the rubber. I was young and this was the first time I did this procedure.I was PO-ed since there I was trying to prevent exactly what I just caused! I guess best practice would be to rebuild the cylinders after a flush or ?

If your system has "heavy crud" in it, this would have happened anyway wouldn't it?

I don't think you can rationally say you always have to rebuild wheel cylinders after a flush. If the fluid is in good condition and you do the fluid change properly, you likely won't run into an issue.

Probably, but maybe the crud was "happy" where it was until I moved it all to that wheel. Anyway, lesson learned. I wonder if the brake shop does it differently?

One trick I use during a caliper rebuild is to butter the caliper bore surface with silicone paste. Then pack more silicone inside the dust boot. This helps keep the corrosive environment out of the critical areas while allowing movement of the piston.

i have both a motive and vaccum bleeder. much prefer the vacuum bleeder. i do it when rotating tires. put car on stands remove all the wheels . suck out fluid from the master cylinder and replace with fresh. then go to each wheel and vac out the old fluid till its comes out clear. be sure to keep the master full after each wheel.

this is a good tool but needs air. https://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html?_br_psugg_q=brake+bleeder

Thanks. I'm always looking for a reason to go to HF (especially if they're "having a sale") lol. So I'll get one of those or similar, flush, and rebuild the rears. BTW brakes are working perfect now.

Originally Posted by rekit
Thanks. I'm always looking for a reason to go to HF (especially if they're "having a sale") lol. So I'll get one of those or similar, flush, and rebuild the rears. BTW brakes are working perfect now.

there is always a 20% off coupon online for HF. just search for it

I find replacing the stock bleeder valves with speed-bleeders (has spring loaded check valve) makes is so easy it hardly qualifies as work. Just get 2 qts of fluid, crack and pump all 4. Easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back