Jatco CVT with a chain

JTK

Apparently Jatco has gone with a chain as opposed to their typical belt on some of the JF017E units used with VQ35 engines. I didn't know this. Sorry if it's been posted.
[Linked Image from sc02.alicdn.com]

[Linked Image from sc01.alicdn.com]

[Linked Image from machineryoffers.com]

no matter! i will NEVER own or recommend a CVT. for me its a 3 pedal affair or NO sale!

Originally Posted by benjy
no matter! i will NEVER own or recommend a CVT. for me its a 3 pedal affair or NO sale!

Unfortunately, it's only a matter of timer until the MT goes the way of the dodo.

Just to add to the above. The chain has been used since the 2013 Pathfinder came out, thus the 5000lb towing capacity of the 2013-2016 model years and 6000lb for the 2017+. 2017+ got the extra 1000lbs due to the direct injected engine.

Originally Posted by Miller88
Do the pathfinders suffer from the chronic CVT problems that the rest of the lineup does?

From a fella on the Pathfindertalk site:

"This issue has never been the belt/chain, its the pressure control valve in the CVT Oil Pump, which regulates the flow of CVT fluid contracting and expanding the pulleys that the chain is attached to.

The Valve is made out of aluminium and scores easily and sometimes even seizes due to wear from metal particles in the CVT fluid, which then creates the domino effect, pulleys to expend contract correctly, chain slips and bounces, creates more wear with metal particles entering the cvt fluid and gradually it gets worse and worse.

There are after market valves which are made from titanium, to fix this, but you need to basically tear down the whole CVT to replace this $20 part. Hence why Nissan did F.. All about it. There has been new oil pumps designed, to do away with the pressure control valve altogether, and suspect these are in the newer builds, like 17 onwards as this pump was late 2016 design.

It's anyones guess if Nissan started updating the pumps in the reman CVTs for the ones prior to this or if they even used titanium valves, guess we won't know unless they disclose it."

I saw one video online where someone dissected a failed CVT out of an older rogue and , while the metal belt failed, it was determined that it was small ball bearings inside the pump that failed. Could be similar.

But it's definitely not a change made to the smaller units right? I really could see myself picking up a mirage with a CVT or a Versa note with a CVT as a small DD / runabout vehicle. I just wouldn't want to have to scrap the thing with a $7000 CVT fails.

I think that's how it goes with this. It's not the belt or chain that fails, it's other components that cause a fluid pressure loss, which causes slack in the belt, then more wear.. until it snowballs to the point of failure. I feel that fluid changes early on and then done regularly help the above, but then you hear of units going 200K miles with no fluid changes. As much as I don't mind CVTs, I'd avoid a Versa with one. You don't seem to hear of issues with CVT powered Mirages, but there's so few of them out there compared to Nissans.

Yep, same here. I'll never buy anything but manual transmission vehicles new.

For those that are too lazy to drive a stick they should buy a traditional geared automatic box, NEVER a CVT.

Originally Posted by jbutch

Unfortunately, it's only a matter of timer until the MT goes the way of the dodo.

The US military decided back in the early 80s that it was a huge waste of resources training recruits to drive manuals.
Also that some of the women coming in were smaller and struggled with the force and reach of a truck clutch pedal.
So we've sold a LOT of Allisons to them in the years since.

Originally Posted by nascarnation

The US military decided back in the early 80s that it was a huge waste of resources training recruits to drive manuals.
Also that some of the women coming in were smaller and struggled with the force and reach of a truck clutch pedal.
So we've sold a LOT of Allisons to them in the years since.

Yep, the higher ups at work haven't ordered a new over the road tractor without automatic in a few years now. I'm not sure if it's a cost, personnel or fuel savings thing? I know the truck drivers hate them. They buy mostly bottom of the barrel Freightshakers with the 10spd auto.

Originally Posted by AC1DD

For those that are too lazy to drive a stick they should buy a traditional geared automatic box, NEVER a CVT.

BINGO!

Originally Posted by JTK
I think that's how it goes with this. It's not the belt or chain that fails, it's other components that cause a fluid pressure loss, which causes slack in the belt, then more wear.. until it snowballs to the point of failure. I feel that fluid changes early on and then done regularly help the above, but then you hear of units going 200K miles with no fluid changes. As much as I don't mind CVTs, I'd avoid a Versa with one. You don't seem to hear of issues with CVT powered Mirages, but there's so few of them out there compared to Nissans.

I think it's hard to kill any tansmission with 73 horsepower!

Originally Posted by Driz
Originally Posted by AC1DD

BINGO!

My mom went through not 1 but 2 traditional 4 speed automatic transmissions in her 99 Ford Expedition in less than 160k miles... A Lincoln Mark 5 or 6 whatever one it was the transmission went out in less than 130k miles... A Pontiac Grand Prix a traditional 4 speed automatic transmission went out 2 times in less than 6k miles. ..

So much for that great reliability of the 4 speed automatic transmission...

While my Altima VQ CVT has 286,000 miles on it with zero issues... And still counting...

The 89 Ford Probe 5 speed manual transmission I got had 130k miles on it when I first got it..after I had it had 230k miles on it when I gave it away and it was never a problem.

I am not saying there are not it have not been issues with CVTs... Absolutely have been. I have noted a similar patterns though... Small displacement motors paired with a CVT have issues... A 1.8 L motor or even a 2.5 L motor does not seem to work well with a CVT transmission. While a 3.5 VQ motor seems to have a lot less issues than the smaller displacement motors. It is my hypothesis that the bigger motor works far better and reliably due to it's working in a much more synergistic way with the bigger displacement motor. A weak motor paired with a CVT just does not work has well in everyday operation. A stronger motor with more torque and horsepower will assist the CVT transmission in not operating in a unfavorable manner. I think a stronger motor also keeps more consistent pressure on the belt which greatly helps the CVT has well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
[

My mom went through not 1 but 2 traditional 4 speed automatic transmissions in her 99 Ford Expedition in less than 160k miles... A Lincoln Mark 5 or 6 whatever one it was the transmission went out in less than 130k miles... A Pontiac Grand Prix a traditional 4 speed automatic transmission went out 2 times in less than 6k miles. ..

Thing is those cars were well known to be junk overall in almost any aspect.
crackmeup2.gif

You got lucky with the Altima....lucky you.
20.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
Just to add to the above. The chain has been used since the 2013 Pathfinder came out, thus the 5000lb towing capacity of the 2013-2016 model years and 6000lb for the 2017+. 2017+ got the extra 1000lbs due to the direct injected engine.

I can recall a chain being used in GM's older units from the 90's (4T60E).

Ahh that was not the case... The Ford Expedition was perfectly fine.... Except your vaunted 4 speed automatic transmission... Which at that time Ford, Lincoln GM Mopar all had major problems with their 4 speed transmissions.

A vehicle at least the way I think of it is not junk if everything else overall was fine throughout someone owning it...

Why did Ford, GM get together to work on a 6 speed transmission in the 2000s?? They knew that their 4 speed automatic transmissions were not good...

Honda and Toyota and Nissan overall had much much better 4 speed transmissions vs the NA car manufacturers. The transmission in my step father's Toyota Avalon from 1996 with 320k miles on it still works perfectly. . No work ever done to it either. I had a Nissan Sentra from 1995 that I had gotten with 118k miles on it and took it to 242k miles on it... Original transmission in it with zero issues.

I am glad I got a Ford aka Mazda 1989 5 speed manual transmission.... Way way better than the 4 speed garbage Ford and GM and Mopar were putting out in the 1980s through the entire 1990s..

Seems like the Honda and Toyota makes started having issues with their 4 speed automatic transmissions in the 2000s....

Nothing is perfect... Some are just worse than others...

Again... I certainly agree there have been issues with the CVTs in vehicles. Just read up on which ones... Small cars with small displacement motors and a CVT is and has not been a good match for reliability.

Huh … my BiL's 2002 GM did 400k on original 4 speed. Every company went to more gears (or CVT) for efficiency

Back