how to document diy work

Status
Not open for further replies.
reading the issue with the pathfinder guy i was thinking what is the best way to document ones own service to a vehicle for warranty purposes? its seems to some places that reciepts are not enough.

So what would be good enough to prove that stuff was really done? video?

Ridiculous extent to go to, keep receipts for oil, and parts. If they are trying to fight you on oil, it can be sampled, if it's parts...either take a pic of said part being installed/along with receipt. Some parts may have manufactures number on there that can be corroborated.

Last edited:
It's got me thinking too.

The last bunch of used car purchases I've made did not necessarily have documentation to support oil changes were done per manufacturer recommendations. My 2019 Pathfinder is one of them. Since I log all my DIY maintenance on myCARFAX, you can also upload a pic of the receipt and oil/filter if you wish.

I give my used purchases my best once-over before buying, but you can't see everything. I haven't had any major issues yet, but I don't typically keep my vehicles more than 4yrs/100K miles.

I take pictures of the oil and filter on vehicle with pic of speedometer. May or may not work. I also log mine in several places

I'm using my.carfax app. it keeps all the maintenance I've done (allows to upload receipts), as well any other repairs done elsewhere would automatically pop up. also you can track miles since last oil change, tire rotation etc. very handy app, use it for both of my hondas

Originally Posted by Anduril
Buy cars that are out of warranty!

That's pretty much it.

You could have all the documentation you want from say 36-59K miles. If you've got nothing for the vehicle's first 36K, you are at the mercy of the dealership and how they decide to handle it with the OEM.

Out of curiosity I emailed my sales person in regards to this topic for my recent used 2019 Pathfinder purchase. It's only got 2 documented oil changes per carfax for it's first ~7mo/23K miles of life. Almost immediately the service manager called me and said all I can do is document going forward and they would have to examine the engine and oil for signs of lack of maintenance should a situation arise. He did mention they do send out oil samples.

Last edited:
I have a 2019 Atlas with a 6/72 warranty. I'd don't plan on documenting any of my DIY maintenance and I plan on doing it all.

But I have a good relationship with my dealer.

What I do is take pictures of the new parts with date and time stamps. I take pictures of the old parts off the car. Then take pictures of the new parts on the car. Then I print out the pics and store them. So far I have only had to document oil changes. This should be good enough. If not F'em

Don

Mopar has a "owners site" thing where you can manually put in the maintenance you've done. Car fax also allows you to do that. I probably should do it for the van, I forgot last time
eek.gif

Originally Posted by Dadillac
What I do is take pictures of the new parts with date and time stamps. I take pictures of the old parts off the car. Then take pictures of the new parts on the car. Then I print out the pics and store them. So far I have only had to document oil changes. This should be good enough. If not F'em

Don

Exactly, if a picture with certain things disassembled on vehicle..and sometimes something's require a lot of disassembly is not enough for them...a big eff off. People think I just went through this because I was bored. Normally if someone is detailed enough to compile receipts notes etc, you can be assured same detail went into car.

Originally Posted by domer10

Don

Exactly, if a picture with certain things disassembled on vehicle..and sometimes something's require a lot of disassembly is not enough for them...a big eff off. People think I just went through this because I was bored. Normally if someone is detailed enough to compile receipts notes etc, you can be assured same detail went into car.

I'm trying to think of anything that extensive to require a lot of disassembly the dealer would care about to deny warranty coverage. In fact, that kind of evidence would likely work against you for taking the car apart instead of making a warranty claim. They can claim you broke it.

Myself, I don't keep any records.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by domer10

Don

I'm trying to think of anything that extensive to require a lot of disassembly the dealer would care about to deny warranty coverage. In fact, that kind of evidence would likely work against you for taking the car apart instead of making a warranty claim. They can claim you broke it.

Myself, I don't keep any records.

Go and look at 2019 Tacoma and what you have to do to change the filter. And I was also speaking in terms of resale etc and other people asking for documentation.

Some manufacturers have an owner's webpage where you can create an account based on your VIN number (which recognizes the year and model), then you can log entries into the service history. I do this for my Chevy and Toyota, as well as a document on my computer describing my work, mileage, fluids used, how the repairs went, etc. Might sound like overkill but my vehicles don't need a lot of repair, just regular maintenance.

With a permanent Sharpie...I write the date and mileage on the new oil filter before I put it on. Keep receipts and write vehicle mileage on them as well.

I taped the receipts for the oil and filters into a notebook and kept a tally of the date, mileage and what oil and filter was used. When it went off warranty I no longer taped receipts in the book.

Write down the lot/batch numbers for oil and filters in the maintenance book. If there is ever a question, the manufacturers can validate if the batch number is legit.

Originally Posted by WhyMe
reading the issue with the pathfinder guy i was thinking what is the best way to document ones own service to a vehicle for warranty purposes? its seems to some places that reciepts are not enough.

So what would be good enough to prove that stuff was really done? video?

I use mycarfax.com to track my DIY and professional services for my vehicles as well as any receipts. Some will get picked up by the VIN automatically from different service stations (ie dealer, state inspections, etc).

https://www.mycarfax.com/garage

Last edited:
You do not have to prove you did the maintenance, the manufacturer needs to at a minimum to deny the warranty claim assert that you (a) did not do the maintenance, and (b) the lack of maintenance was the cause of the failure.

They would need some sort of basis to make this assertion. Some places will play games and try to avoid the repair, usually to avoid doing the repair for the reduced labor charge on repairs if they are a busy shop. Usually (but not always) the manufacturer will stand behind the repair if the dealer does not have a good reason to think that there was a lack of maintenance and that it was the one and only cause of the failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back