brake fluid flush at 3yr/36K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Honda's call for it every 3 yrs, so I just follow that same schedule for all my cars. It's amazing how much better the pedal feels afterward.

Is this Mitivac Brake Bleeding Kit or similar what you would use to flush from each corner?
My 4Runner is 9 years old and 100k miles, the pads have never been replaced. I was going to do the fluid with the pads but looks like that could be another 100K.
Toyota does not call out a brake fluid flush interval in the manual.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 1000MPH
Is this Mitivac Brake Bleeding Kit or similar what you would use to flush from each corner?

You COULD use that but it would be pretty tedious and your hand would be pretty sore afterwards. For the price of what a shop or dealer charges for one flush, get the canister style, either pneumatic if you have air or with pump if you don't.

[Linked Image from tooldiscounter.com]

https://www.tooldiscounter.com/prod...nxKbAP1UtU5TCfpaBgIPluYxSccaAmNFEALw_wcB

That's the one I have and you pump/squeeze the trigger a few times mostly just to get the fluid flowing. You don't have to continually pump the handle.

Toyota does not call out a brake fluid flush interval in the manual.
It's odd how some say to replace it and others don't. They all use the same basic brake fluid. The ones that do recommend replacement know that this adds in to "cost of ownership", which all automakers try and keep low, but they consider it important that they still want it done.... Take that for what it's worth.

I've never flushed brake fluid. Toyota doesn't mention it. Did have a rear caliper on the Rav4 go at around 320,000 miles. Who knows if changing the brake fluid would have prevented that.

ABS unit merits fresh fluid it seems to me 'cuz they are so expensive. Now properly getting fluid to flow through the ABS unit... that's another thing. If you use a vacuum method at each caliper bleed point, I am not sure that the ABS unit actually gets flushed in the process. Others, more sage than I, please chime-in. Finally, it is possible that you need to "command" the ABS unit to operate, to be able to get fluid through it for purging purposes.

don't most cars now with abs need a scan tool to properly bleed brakes? if so this would discourage many from diy on this brake fluid flush

That was what I was just saying... Not so much to be able to purge MOST of the system... but to also purge the ABS unit. Now if the system has been purged, save for the ABS unit, by way of Brownian Motion (I think it is) - I think it will in pretty quick order improve the fluid within the ABS unit in terms of how much moisture there is in that fluid... 'cause of molecular exchange and becoming uniform and all.

I should also mention that some systems - cannot be purged with an ABS unit present. My Mazda6 system, with ABS of course, CAN be purged using the vacuum method.

Last edited:
I changed the brake fluid in my 2005 Tacoma (only 50K miles on the truck) for the first time. I was surprised on how clean the original brake fluid was. Changed it because of time, not color. Saw no signs of debris in the 14 year old factory brake fluid. I should have done it way before now, so maybe I got lucky (?).

See this post, and the post following it.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...238989/re-brake-fluid-change#Post5238989

Originally Posted by flinter
Hi,

I was wondering if a brake fluid flush is considering smart basic preventative maintenance every 3 years or 36,000 miles? I own a MINT condition 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition. I plan on owning the car VERY long term, hopefully to 200K miles or so.
The 2017 Elantras are disc in front, drum in rear. I am at 31,300 miles and the car has been flawless so far, no issues.
Thanks
Michael in NJ

Probably overkill. I have two older vehicles which I finally flushed a couple years ago. They both had fluid in there over ten years and I had no problems whatsoever.

Originally Posted by super20dan
don't most cars now with abs need a scan tool to properly bleed brakes? if so this would discourage many from diy on this brake fluid flush

I have an'08 Infiniti and the FSM says to disconnect the ABS via it's locking electrical connection and then proceed like normal. Other vehicles say to disconnect the battery.

I recently replaced calipers on an 08 Jeep and did them the same way I've done calipers since they were first used in the 1970's on domestic cars.
21.gif
I'm thinking if the ABS valve remains intact and the system full or close to it there should be no problem.

Can't imagine the teaspoon of fluid trapped in the abs system that will get mixed with new fluid the first time the abs is activated, will cause an issue. Especially if you change every 2 or 3 years.

My Toyota FSM describes using TechStream to bleed each wheel one at a time after a basically normal replacement procedure...except they suggest front wheels first.

Originally Posted by atikovi

Can't imagine the teaspoon of fluid trapped in the abs system that will get mixed with new fluid the first time the abs is activated, will cause an issue. Especially if you change every 2 or 3 years.

I change my Brake Fluid every two years in Summer.
Every Winter, I will brake on the ice (in a parking lot) to activate the ABS.
I figure this will possible help circulate the fluid in the ABS Valve.

Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Every Winter, I will brake on the ice (in a parking lot) to activate the ABS.
I figure this will possible help circulate the fluid in the ABS Valve.

No need. Everytime you start the car and drive it above 4 or 5 mph the abs solenoids activate as a test and to keep the system from seizing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back