What can cause this type of HID failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it does not. I also had pulled the fuse for the DRL because supposedly my car flashes the lights super fast to give the appearance it's running at half power.

So they're either on, or they're not.

For my several years of HID experience, when the HID bulb going yellow. It would die soon. Seems the quality and the duration of the HID bulb is not as good as several years before. I was needed to have replace several sets even from different local stores. Had to replace more frequently.

If it's no name brand bulbs, the quality is no difference from bought at local store, eBay or Amazon. Depending on the QC and the production batch of the factory.

Just got a cheap $20 / pair from Amazon but the quality and color was much better than a $80 / pair from a local store.

Also the color is not the same too even from the same source.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
One of my 8000K HIDs has been looking yellow for awhile now so I finally swapped them for LEDs.

Upon closer inspection, the "bad" bulb looks like it has glaucoma compared to the "good" bulb.

Just curious what could have made this happen. Bulbs were about 2.5 years old.

Image link because for some reason the tag won't work:
https://preview.redd.it/zrf5l2vk27x...95238bf287ad87c57ac35b749a8d8afee39be314

If it is not Osram or Phillips it is not going into my car.

China.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
One of my 8000K HIDs has been looking yellow for awhile now so I finally swapped them for LEDs.

Upon closer inspection, the "bad" bulb looks like it has glaucoma compared to the "good" bulb.

Just curious what could have made this happen. Bulbs were about 2.5 years old.

Image link because for some reason the tag won't work:
https://preview.redd.it/zrf5l2vk27x...95238bf287ad87c57ac35b749a8d8afee39be314

Those look like rebased Chinesium HIDs which I don't trust nor recommend. Regardless, a new HID bulb is nearly clear but you can see the metal salts(the halides that are responsible for the gas plasma inside of an HID capsule) if you look closely. The metal electrodes do get eroded and eventually there's not enough metal to create the arc. That's failure mode of an HID, the cloudiness is the vaporized remains of the capsule electrodes and whatever is left of the metal salts.

All HID bulbs work on the same principle - the ballast generates the high voltage needed to start an arc at the capsule electrodes in order to vaporize the metal salts(or vaporized mercury/sodium) in the capsule. It's all just ions working to give off light.

8000K HIDs? Good grief, I don't want anyone on the road with those blue blinding atrocities.

Every vehicle that has them should be stopped, driver ticketed, vehicle impounded, registration revoked until an inspection shows the problem was rectified.

Originally Posted by Dave9
8000K HIDs? Good grief, I don't want anyone on the road with those blue blinding atrocities.

Every vehicle that has them should be stopped, driver ticketed, vehicle impounded, registration revoked until an inspection shows the problem was rectified.

It is amazing what kind of LED stuff people put on, especially on JEEP's and pick-up trucks.
Worst thing is they blind others and still do not provide visibility of OE stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back