brake fluid flush at 3yr/36K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was wondering if a brake fluid flush is considering smart basic preventative maintenance every 3 years or 36,000 miles? I own a MINT condition 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition. I plan on owning the car VERY long term, hopefully to 200K miles or so.
The 2017 Elantras are disc in front, drum in rear. I am at 31,300 miles and the car has been flawless so far, no issues.
Thanks
Michael in NJ

Last edited:
With a vacuum tool it's a half hour job. Should look almost clear after you're done.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

After 8 years, my 'original' brake fluid was a 'black' color in Reservoir.
I now change it (complete flush at bleeder valves) every two years and it's a 'straw' color.
I'm happy.

Come up with a method to DIY and save some money.
Brake Fluid is inexpensive.

Last edited:
Some automakers say to do this every 2-3 years while others never say that it needs changed. They often say "inspect" it but what does that mean ? Kinda stupid.... Inspect it, it looks like crap, but leave it alone ?
grin.gif

Change yours every 3 years if you want to. It's your car, it's your time, it's your money. Change it based on time too, not mileage.

Ok, my Elantra will be 3 years old in April 2020. I will do the service than. Interestingly though, Hyundai DOES NOT show a recommend service interval for brake fluid flush.

Every 3-4 years is good IMO. Unless you are driving a lot more. Changed the Caravan's fluid at the 3 1/2 year mark. I had a motive bleeder however the fittings only work properly when the cap is straight up and not on an angle. Got rid of it and do the 2 person bleed now.

Some guys I know never change their brake fluid and they have cars from the 80s in their collections.

Originally Posted by atikovi
With a vacuum tool it's a half hour job. Should look almost clear after you're done.

Doesn't that leave the fluid you really want to exchange still in the caliper?

OP, I just do a bleed at each caliper when it's time for new pads.

I think it's wise maintenance, but have admittedly never done it. I've sucked out and refilled brake fluid reservoirs and replaced what ever was lost during a caliper change and bleed is about it.

At least twice I've asked shops while my vehicle was in for something if they'd do a brake fluid flush/change and they suggested to not do it. "We don't live in a humid enough climate" was their reasoning. This was for a Subaru and a Hyundai and this is from a couple of shops that love to take your money!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BISCUT

Doesn't that leave the fluid you really want to exchange still in the caliper?

OP, I just do a bleed at each caliper when it's time for new pads.

I mean it takes a half hour to do the whole job at each wheel. It doesn't take a half hour to just suck it out of the reservoir.

Its a great idea to do. Once its real dirty its hard to get clean. I find the clean fluid gets dirty faster after changing out real dirty fluid. I actually bought brake fluid the other day to do the truck and car.

Unless you flush it, and flush it through each wheel, you are wasting your time.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Some automakers say to do this every 2-3 years while others never say that it needs changed. They often say "inspect" it but what does that mean ? Kinda stupid.... Inspect it, it looks like crap, but leave it alone ?
grin.gif

Change yours every 3 years if you want to. It's your car, it's your time, it's your money. Change it based on time too, not mileage.

European automakers are on 2 year schedule, and for good reason. They carry over same practice here in the US.
Majority (pretty much all) European countries (EU and non-EU) have very strict yearly or two-year inspections. They will measure boiling point of brake fluid and moisture content. If boiling point is below certain temperature or moisture is above 2% car cannot pass technical inspection and will not be registered. Asian vehicles sold in Europe are on the same schedule. In the US things are much more "shady" when it comes to these things.

Last edited:
Pretty sure most people don't change theirs and there is no noticeable effect. My dad's almost 20-year-old Silverado still has the original fluid.

I changed it on one car I owned at around 36k miles. But only because I was changing the warped rotors and I felt good about doing the fluid at the same time. But now I wouldn't even think about it until at least 50k miles.

I did notice on the Carfax of a car I traded in that the dealer selling it changed the brake fluid but no other work was listed on the Carfax. Had around 36k miles. I always wondered if they tested the fluid and found it was in bad shape or what their reason was.

Originally Posted by kam327
Pretty sure most people don't change theirs and there is no noticeable effect. My dad's almost 20-year-old Silverado still has the original fluid.

^One of my first vehicles was a 1992 Toyota Pickup with the 22RE engine that never had its brake fluid changed in 10 years/~140k miles. Spent 9 years of its life in dry California and 1 year in humid Florida. Front passenger caliper stuck one day and fried that brake pad, rotor and the wheel bearing, Toyota dealer said brake fluid was in extremely poor condition and contributed to the failure. It was a quite expensive lesson with front brake job, new rotors, new front passenger wheel bearing and brake fluid exchange - this was nearly 20 years ago, I honestly can't remember if they rebuilt the caliper or replaced it. It was ~$600 to get it roadworthy again.

Ironically Toyota did not have any scheduled brake fluid changes but the service department commented on the condition. They had serviced the truck at least 3 oil changes prior to the brake failure.

I have brake fluid flushed every 2 years now - think the German makes are the only ones that call for it as preventative maintenance.

Originally Posted by edyvw

Unless you flush it, and flush it through each wheel, you are wasting your time.

That IS after it's flushed at each wheel. Didn't think I'd have to state the obvious.

Originally Posted by edyvw

That IS after it's flushed at each wheel. Didn't think I'd have to state the obvious.

grin.gif

Two different people thinking you only sucked the fluid out of the reservoir....
confused2.gif
When you referred to a vacuum tool, I knew what you meant.

Originally Posted by kam327

I changed it on one car I owned at around 36k miles. But only because I was changing the warped rotors and I felt good about doing the fluid at the same time. But now I wouldn't even think about it until at least 50k miles.

I did notice on the Carfax of a car I traded in that the dealer selling it changed the brake fluid but no other work was listed on the Carfax. Had around 36k miles. I always wondered if they tested the fluid and found it was in bad shape or what their reason was.

Come here and start your way from Vail to Denver and let us know how your dad's Silverado did or in how many pieces came down to Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back