Supertech oil who makes it now

Kind of hard to find where the oil is made, it seems that it's either Warren or Citgo, I assume either is a good oil.

The Supertech Full Synthetic SAE 5W30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil seems to be by Citgo. So is the Citgo stuff any good?

Originally Posted by gryffinwings
Kind of hard to find where the oil is made, it seems that it's either Warren or Citgo, I assume either is a good oil.

The Supertech Full Synthetic SAE 5W30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil seems to be by Citgo. So is the Citgo stuff any good?

I have Citgo SuperGard full synthetic 5W30 in my F150 right now and it has been just fine...purchased at Farm and Fleet when Citgo was running their rebate...

Bill

Warren Distribution here in Council Bluffs doesnt make bottles, they brings in truckloads of them from somewhere else and store in the warehouse.
I also stumbled upon and isle of huge 330 gallon tanks of Sinclair oil with the dinosaur logo on the front of the tanks. Id like to take pictures but they would fire me and kick me out probobly.

I have it in my mower and 1 truck now and Kirkland(Warren on label) in another. This will most likely be my last run of it. I don't like not knowing or them switching manufacturers. I think I have Warren supertech now but will not support Citgo.

I have it in my mower and 1 truck now and Kirkland(Warren on label) in another. This will most likely be my last run of it. I don't like not knowing or them switching manufacturers. I think I have Warren supertech now but will not support Citgo.

As they stated if it's the Dexos Approved Synthetic look up the Dexos License Number and it will tell you.

SuperTech:
WPP is all we have ever had in 5 quart jugs and Synthetic.

We had some conventional quarts that may have been Citgo for a few weeks after a supply disruption a few years back. I believe they were likely shipped in from another region to cover the lack of supply. I wasn't interested enough at the time to notice much other than the different bottle shape and that it didn't appear to be Mobil.

After reading all these posts, aside from some personal negative opinions, I see nothing that says Super Tech, as long as it meets all the specs for ones vehicle, is fine to use. Do I read this correctly?

After reading all these posts, aside from some personal negative opinions, I see nothing that says Super Tech, as long as it meets all the specs for ones vehicle, is fine to use. Do I read this correctly?
I think you have that messed up a bit. There's nothing wrong at all with Supertech oil.

Still By Warren Dist....they still have the contract, and may have it for. While.....

Not worried anyways....my cars will rust out here in MI well before I see any engine problems anyways...

You all worry too much....😉

But would it run any other oils made by Warren that are likely the same?

All Warren D oils are very close to the same. Just like Ashland does for NAPA oils being close to Valavoline’s oils...

I don’t get why folks think Walmart is going to cheap out so much on oil. I happen to know a few Walmart buyers (thanks to the industry I am in) and they are much pickier than folks think. A few of their buyers are ACTUALLY car people.....:cool:

All Warren D oils are very close to the same. Just like Ashland does for NAPA oils being close to Valavoline’s oils...

I don’t get why folks think Walmart is going to cheap out so much on oil. I happen to know a few Walmart buyers (thanks to the industry I am in) and they are much pickier than folks think. A few of their buyers are ACTUALLY car people.....:cool:

My memory is not too good these days so you will have excuse me. My comment was made two years ago.

No I don’t think Walmart is going to cheap out on oil. It meets the current specs and that is what matters.

My memory is not too good these days so you will have excuse me. My comment was made two years ago.

No I don’t think Walmart is going to cheap out on oil. It meets the current specs and that is what matters.

Sorry about that! I didn’t even notice It was two years old myself.......

And I do agree with you......:)

Nothing wrong with it. The ST Synthetic 5W-30 is Dexos 1 Gen 2 which means it meets higher standards than just a API SP ILSAC GF-6A Certification. It's not Mobil 1 ESP but it's not intended to be and it's $14 for 5 qt not $50. I think it's the best oil in it's price range (unless you can get another WPP Synthetic cheaper).

I’ve always considered Super Tech “good enough”. It just depends on if good enough is good enough for you, and chances are if you’re on bob is the oil guy, talking and reading about oil and oil changes, it’s not. But I have used it before, it seems “fine”. I just wouldn’t go over 5,000 miles with it - then again I won’t go over 5,000 miles with any oil (unless it’s a port injected engine, then 6,500 is my limit).

When I was younger I ran super tech conventional religiously in my 1999 Honda Accord (3,000 mile oil changes, 5w30)...made it to 289,000 miles before I sold it. It did start using some oil at 250,000 miles and by the time it reached 289,000 miles it was burning around 1 quart every 1,000 miles (maybe more than a quart).

When I first started drinking beer, there was this cheap dark beer, Prior Double Dark sold in 6 packs, When Guinness Stout appeared in 4 packs, Prior changed to 4 packs and RAISED the price ! 😃

I’ve always considered Super Tech “good enough”. It just depends on if good enough is good enough for you, and chances are if you’re on bob is the oil guy, talking and reading about oil and oil changes, it’s not. But I have used it before, it seems “fine”. I just wouldn’t go over 5,000 miles with it - then again I won’t go over 5,000 miles with any oil (unless it’s a port injected engine, then 6,500 is my limit).

When I was younger I ran super tech conventional religiously in my 1999 Honda Accord (3,000 mile oil changes, 5w30)...made it to 289,000 miles before I sold it. It did start using some oil at 250,000 miles and by the time it reached 289,000 miles it was burning around 1 quart every 1,000 miles (maybe more than a quart).

I seen a couple of near or 10000 mile UOA for Super Tech that looked pretty impressive on here over the years. If I ran my OCI on miles rather than October/April I wouldn't think a thing of using it for 7500 miles in the Toyota which is severe service basically.

Last edited:
Back