Tape measure that isn't like a wet noodle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any recommendations for a good tape measure that will stay straight when it's extended, and doesn't bend as easily? I admit I usually use cheap tape measures, and that's likely the problem.. But I'm just curious to see if anyone has recommendations for a solid tape measure. Maybe I should just get a laser type tape measure instead..

Fatmax or Dewalt, both have the same blade. I've had Stanley tapes my entire life so I really hate the Milwaukee but people buy them because they are cheap.
sick.gif

16' of course, compact and long enough 98% of the time. Definitely get the laser rangefinder, they are the most accurate method for internal measurements. I lost mine and miss it but I'm too cheap to buy another.

I have a 35' stainley. lol Works fine. Just as long as it's the 1'' wide style tape, it shouldn't be like a wet noodle.

Thanks for the replies so far everyone. Good point on the width, I never thought of that. I was just thinking of the thickness of the metal, but it makes sense that the width would play an important role as well.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Fatmax or Dewalt, both have the same blade. I've had Stanley tapes my entire life so I really hate the Milwaukee but people buy them because they are cheap.
sick.gif

16' of course, compact and long enough 98% of the time. Definitely get the laser rangefinder, they are the most accurate method for internal measurements. I lost mine and miss it but I'm too cheap to buy another.

I have quite a few Stanley tape measures....All being at least 15 years or more old. The 35" Classic Chrome & Contractor Grade are my favorites & are almost identical to each other.

Stanley , craftsman , or the new Bauer tape measure at harbor fright

Originally Posted by FT92
Stanley , craftsman , or the new Bauer tape measure at harbor fright

I have a 25' Pittsburg Harbor Freight special that I got, "free with any purchase". It has turned out to be the most rigid one I own, as far as extending it before it collapses. Usually the wider the tape, the better it holds up when extended long distances.

1) Wider Blade - will not flex as much (as others have said) / try them in the Store before buying.
2) Good Lock to hold Blade extended
3) I get by with a 25' around the house / 8' kept in vehicle to use at Hardware Stores
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) Good Graduations - make sure you like the graduations on 'both' sides of blade.
Some manufactures will have 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, etc and it clutters up the scale.

Tape Measure Trivea:
Question - Why does the metal Hook on end have a little side play ?
Answer - To compensate for the thickness of metal Hook if your measuring 'inside' of something.

Cluttered:
[Linked Image]

I like:
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SeaJay
Or tape a few wooden yardsticks together

Already invented.
My Father had one of these / I don't, for obvious reasons.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MasterSolenoid
Originally Posted by SeaJay
Or tape a few wooden yardsticks together

Already invented.
My Father had one of these / I don't, for obvious reasons.
[Linked Image]

For short distances these are nice to have, I used them when I was a mason, just have to be careful not to pinch your fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back