Anyone still using 20w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Brazil it's widely used specially in older vehicles, not to mention that more than a half of our country don't have temperatures below 30 degrees celcius (86 Fahrenheit). And the 20w50 it's commonly the cheapest oil on the shelf, which make some people use it no matter what oil the owner's manual asks for.

It really depends on your clearances. If you have an old school forged piston small block with,005 to ,007 piston clearance, .0015 to .0025 main clearance and .0025 to .0035 rod clearance like back in the day 40 years ago then 20w50 is a good choice. Modern engines are made much tighter. You can run into a situation where there is sufficient throwoff to keep the cam lubed in cold weather with tighter modern clearances.

Rod

i still use it but only in small engine or mower applications my zero turn transmission calls for that weight and i use it in a old oil burning pusher i use to trim with.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
No point really unless it's an oil burner. I have literally had that same engine making over 650 hp and used 10w30.

Many European cars from the 60s and 70s spec 20W-50 as the preferred oil viscosity, like my Capri.

It really likes 20W-50, i have used Shell Helix HX3, Valvoline VR1 and currently trying out a syn-blend ACEA A3/B4 20W-50 made by Repsol which it seems to like too.

Last edited:
Definitely, 20W-50 full synthetic POA/Ester in my bike....and have stepped up to 15W-60 synthetic A3/B4 in the car. You can have a little weep about that, but I am very happy them them.

I used 20W50 in my 300ZX (which is an oem spec if it's to be driven at extended high speeds). I have two impeccable uoa's on 20W50. One with RP and the other with GTX.

I need this visc for my hydrostatic transm on my Husky lawn tractor if only i could find it... all i have at a decent price is the Castrol 5-50
i can get RP 50 wt.. but its so dang expensive, even when it goes on sale
J.

Originally Posted by Silk
Definitely, 20W-50 full synthetic POA/Ester in my bike....and have stepped up to 15W-60 synthetic A3/B4 in the car. You can have a little weep about that, but I am very happy them them.

I'd love to try Penrite HPR15 15W-60 or HPR30 20W-60.
But i can't bring myself to pay 50€ + shipping for 5 liters of oil
frown.gif

If you're really interested in the Castrol 5/50, check your local Napa. Mine stocks it, and it can be had on sale quite a few times a year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
I'd love to try Penrite HPR15 15W-60 or HPR30 20W-60.
But i can't bring myself to pay 50€ + shipping for 5 liters of oil
frown.gif

Not cheap here either, but I wait for sales. I bought 1 litre of the 15W-60 for top up last week...$16, That's a good price.

Originally Posted by FastLane
I use it in my airplane. I have no idea why anyone would run that tar in a modern engine.

In a modern engine no, but many 60s-70s European engines run sweetest on it
smile.gif

I've used more GTX 20W50, HPR 20W60, Edge 10W60 or M1 15W50 than any other oils. Winter and Summer. But I live in a very hot climate.

Now days I would go for a good mixed fleet HDEO 15W40, or the local Castrol GTX Ultraclean 15W40 semi-synthetic that's rated ACEA A3/B3 and API SN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back