You Tube and ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by azjake
We have Dish and with the exception of NFL/NBA games all shows we watch are on DVR so we can skip over ads. Some networks even have a hop option that automatically skips over ads without having to fast forward.

You can all but bet they are working overtime to come up with a way to prevent that. Sooner or later you will not be able to skip over them. It's only a matter of time. Before you say no, remember that when cable television first started to make it's debut decades ago, it was sold on the principal you paid to get it, but part of the reward was you did not have to sit through commercials. That lasted 15 minutes.

The millennial generation hasn't been around long enough to remember that. They've been born and bred on this crap, to the point they've become used to it.

I now have Dish Network, and it is without question the WORST cable / satellite / pay TV I've ever had. It's practically unwatchable. (Reruns of many 30 minute sitcoms go for 40 to 45 minutes so they can cram in more commercials, than when they were broadcast free on the network airwaves).

Remember that an average 30 minute program is only 22 minutes long to start out with. So now it's rerun on pay TV for twice as long. That's up to almost 50% commercial time. Many movies are broadcast much the same. (2 hour movies can go for up to 3-1/2 hours). Especially if they're broadcast late at night.

And not only are there seemingly non stop commercials on every channel. But over half of the stations I get are nothing but infomercial channels. 15 coin collector channels. At least a dozen air fryer, super cooker, channels. More than a half dozen, "Women, do you want to look younger", channels.... All selling crap 24/7.

And to frost the cake and light the candles, they now have lawyer law suit, fishing expedition channels. "Is talcum powder causing your cancer?"... "Have you used Round Up weed killer?"..... "Have you been diagnosed with cancer after being prescribed this, that, or the other thing?"... It's unbelievable.

So enjoy your DVR skipping while you can. Because it's a sure bet they are on track to train wreck that as well. There is a very good reason why cable / satellite TV companies are some of the most despised corporations in America, with the lowest customer satisfaction rates.

Someone has to pay, if you dont, then the ads have too.
There is a lot of complaining about this stuff and honestly, no need for it unless your life depends on a particular thing like YouTube, just switch.
Doesn't matter if its pay TV, Streaming TV or Free TV, find something new, life doesn't end over a TV show or Movie... :eek:)
Tons of choices out there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy

It really doesn't matter about the "choices", because they're all the same in regards to being overburden with commercials. The entire television viewing industry has evolved into this kind of crap.

Why do you think you deserve YouTube for free? Videos aren't free to host, and the content isn't free to create.

Pay the $10 or deal with ads; you're not entitled to free [censored] just because "it's the internet."

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by alarmguy

It really doesn't matter about the "choices", because they're all the same in regards to being overburden with commercials. The entire television viewing industry has evolved into this kind of crap.

Ill have to disagree, Ive been around since Color TV was the newest invention as a kid.

With a Roku player you have tons of free choices, literally what, a 1000 different options? I have no idea but its retarded there are so many. Never in my life have I watched less commercials then I do now and my TV monthly bill with Roku and Hulu+ is $10. Unlimited ad free choices, some choices do have 1-ONE commercial before the show/movie starts, much less then a movie theater does.
We also, my wife works from home, so we did add another pay channel with no ads, Netflex. TOTAL unlimited movie and TV channels with the Roku player less then $20 a month but you could EASLIY get buy on $10 a month and if you didnt care about commercials, then 100s of other channels are completely free!

There are so many shows and movies, its almost stupid, my wife asking me what I want to watch, this, that, the other thing, drives me nuts *L*
Also keep in mind with the Roku. you do have TONS more options then we use, heck, we cant even take full advantage of the channels we watch, never mind all the free stuff. We would NEVER emerge from the house! *LOL*

TV is dirt cheap compared to the old days, in time and expense of the equipment.

Last edited:
Solution is :
First off make sure autoplay is off
Then with your mouse....move the player button to the end of the video
Then hit replay...ads are gone.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by azjake
We have Dish and with the exception of NFL/NBA games all shows we watch are on DVR so we can skip over ads. Some networks even have a hop option that automatically skips over ads without having to fast forward.

You can all but bet they are working overtime to come up with a way to prevent that. Sooner or later you will not be able to skip over them. It's only a matter of time. Before you say no, remember that when cable television first started to make it's debut decades ago, it was sold on the principal you paid to get it, but part of the reward was you did not have to sit through commercials. That lasted 15 minutes.

The millennial generation hasn't been around long enough to remember that. They've been born and bred on this crap, to the point they've become used to it.

I now have Dish Network, and it is without question the WORST cable / satellite / pay TV I've ever had. It's practically unwatchable. (Reruns of many 30 minute sitcoms go for 40 to 45 minutes so they can cram in more commercials, than when they were broadcast free on the network airwaves).

Remember that an average 30 minute program is only 22 minutes long to start out with. So now it's rerun on pay TV for twice as long. That's up to almost 50% commercial time. Many movies are broadcast much the same. (2 hour movies can go for up to 3-1/2 hours). Especially if they're broadcast late at night.

And not only are there seemingly non stop commercials on every channel. But over half of the stations I get are nothing but infomercial channels. 15 coin collector channels. At least a dozen air fryer, super cooker, channels. More than a half dozen, "Women, do you want to look younger", channels.... All selling crap 24/7.

And to frost the cake and light the candles, they now have lawyer law suit, fishing expedition channels. "Is talcum powder causing your cancer?"... "Have you used Round Up weed killer?"..... "Have you been diagnosed with cancer after being prescribed this, that, or the other thing?"... It's unbelievable.

So enjoy your DVR skipping while you can. Because it's a sure bet they are on track to train wreck that as well. There is a very good reason why cable / satellite TV companies are some of the most despised corporations in America, with the lowest customer satisfaction rates.

Dish Network is a jewel compared to DirecTV...

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Why do you think you deserve YouTube for free? Videos aren't free to host, and the content isn't free to create.

Pay the $10 or deal with ads; you're not entitled to free [censored] just because "it's the internet."

I don't expect it for free, but inserting more ads buried in the middle of videos is getting a bit ridiculous...

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Download the BRAVE web browser. It is automatically setup so you wont have ads on YouTube.
https://brave.com/

Will this work on an Android phone version as well?

Here you go, Sir YouTube Vanced

Google makes a ton of money in many other ways, many not so ethical ways but due to the size and expanse of it, it is impossible to live without it. So I kind of chuckle when people defend ads on YouTube.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Download the BRAVE web browser. It is automatically setup so you wont have ads on YouTube.
https://brave.com/

Will this work on an Android phone version as well?

Here you go, Sir YouTube Vanced

Google makes a ton of money in many other ways, many not so ethical ways but due to the size and expanse of it, it is impossible to live without it. So I kind of chuckle when people defend ads on YouTube.

Your not serious, are you? or am I just misreading your post?

Impossible to live without google?
ummm... of course you can live without google, dont use their services.

It ends when you pay YouTube to remove them. YouTube is a business and targeted ads make them a ton of money to keep content up there.

A bunch of work arounds exist too but they are moving target once YouTube stops it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back