2017 CR-V, Tin ‘Skid-Plate’ Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was driving yesterday & ran over a chunk of mud from a farm tractor. I thought I should have enough clearance, but no. When I got home the aluminum/ tinny center part of the engine cover was on by one fastener. It's the part one has to remove to change oil.

Truth be known I never liked it, mild pain to remove. The surrounding plastic seems moderately secure in place, no other damage. Today I will look at the damaged center piece, don't think it can be bent back into shape to connect up.

Before I run out and order new, any other options? My 1st thought is to leave it off. Our CR-V about never leaves pavement, not that the cover protects anyway. I don't care about slight changes in airflow.

I guess one could get more spray around the engine area, a concern on Winter salted roads.

The part is cheap, I am leaning to replace. Just checking if there are other ideas. Thanks. No I don't feel like tracking down the farmer to complain. With more effort I could of swerved.

Originally Posted by Mr_Joe
........... The part is cheap, I am leaning to replace............

I would simply replace it and motor on. I think leaving it off would enhance what you want to avoid. (Snow and salt spray in and around the engine compartment).

I think you answered your own question. What would have happened to the oil pan if the sheet metal was gone? Replace it.

Originally Posted by Boomer
I think you answered your own question. …. Replace it.
+1 Thinking the same thing. "Part is cheap. I'm leaning to replace." Right call imo.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
+1 Thinking the same thing. "Part is cheap. I'm leaning to replace." Right call imo.

+2

Our CR-V about never leaves pavement, not that the cover protects anyway.

Well apparently it protected something if IT got damaged and nothing else above it it.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by Sayjac

+2

+3

Thanks, yes, I'll order & replace. The rest of the area looks unaffected.

The one that came off is to banged up to hammer in shape, plus the holes are ripped.

Time to get more fasteners too.

The one on my civic has been replaced and is gone for the second time. Unbelievably flimsy aluminum. I will not replace it again. Why it is made from aluminum and not plastic is beyond me. Poor design.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
Don't know why they are so expensive.

Because most people will rather pay $4 each for two from the dealer than $12 for a box of ten aftermarket clips they probably will never use again. Get the part number and Google it. If it's a common part, there is probably an aftermarket alternative.

It's made for aerodynamics and possibly to keep some water/debris out away. I'm thinking it's metallic due to the potential of high heat?

If I couldn't fix it and the part is reasonable enough, I'd probably want it back on there. My experience with Honda when we owned our Odyssey minivan was OEM parts I ordered were relatively cheap. Door hardware, side mirror assemblies, etc.

O.K, still researching, yes they are very flimsy.

My current thought is to take a piece of tin and make my own? I think I can attach it just fine. I would cut similar and even copy the air venting holes.

Thoughts? Not so much as a $$ saver. I can see it happening again with the weak setup.

Last edited:
O.K, still researching, yes they are very flimsy. My current thought is to take a piece of tin and make my own? I think I can attach it just fine. I would cut similar and even copy the air venting holes. Thoughts? Not so much as a $$ saver. I can see it happening again with the weak setup.

How about calling a few sheet metal fabrication shops. They might be able to make you one out of a piece of scrap they've got laying around. It might not be all that much. They may even be able to make it out of something a bit more substantial. Can't hurt to ask.

Is it really tin or just coated steel? Coated steel will rust away, should be aluminum or stainless.

I'd have to see pictures to be sure but I imagine you could salvage the existing shield unless it has a substantial tear. If the holes are ripped, what about using big fender washers under them?

Metal fab shop, even if they have a scrap lying around, the labor would probably be higher than you can pick the piece up for elsewhere, especially at a junkyard.

DIY, that depends a lot on your experience working with metal. You will probably need some bends here and there if it's sheet metal thickness, to keep it from flexing excessively due to engine and road vibrations.

If you really want something durable then you're going to have to use plate metal not sheet metal. Then you could get away with using mild steel, painted to slow down rust. Depending on the size that could add about 20 lbs. addt'l weight you're hauling around but would then be closer to a true rock guard if the mounting areas for it are robust enough.

Last edited:
Volvo has a plastic shield under the engine for all their cars. Keep rain, debris, slush etc. out of the rotating parts. Provides some impact protection for impact situations that are similar to the OP.

The plastic breaks pretty easily.

I've replaced several. They're not cheap. Even so, I remain thankful that the oil pan stayed intact, and nothing got caught in the serpentine belt.

The aftermarket has offered an aluminum version which looks quite sturdy and allows filter and drain plug access without removal.

I would see if similar options exist for your CRV.

Here's a Volvo example:

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/114...baZde9AGK5GbRxfbP-zChaCwYKgaAgPlEALw_wcB

O.K, still researching, yes they are very flimsy.

My current thought is to take a piece of tin and make my own? I think I can attach it just fine. I would cut similar and even copy the air venting holes.

Thoughts? Not so much as a $$ saver. I can see it happening again with the weak setup.

I wouldn't do a Bubba repair on a 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back