2019 Honda Ridgeline, thoughts?

Originally Posted by dareo
Ridgeline is wide enough that you might as well have a full size half ton.

I'm so tired of hearing this.

Park a full size next to a Ridgeline/Colorado/Ranger and the full size pickup is enormous by comparison.

Maybe on paper they're similar. In the real world, it's night and day.

True, a full size drives and parks much bigger than a canyon ranger tacoma frontier. But its not much bigger than the ridgeline. Less than an inch wider per side in a parking stall is negligible. If you have a Ranger that is less than 74" wide that gives 3" per side of extra space. The full size CCSB trucks are less than 2 feet longer than ridgeline, not too big of a concern there with backup cameras.

I love the easy parking of the smaller trucks and i love the interior space of a full size. Ridgeline is a wierd in between size that doesn't accomplish the small truck feel or the large truck space. Maybe its the ideal size for a lot of people but not me.

Drive one for any length of time vs talk about it and they advantages become glaringly obvious.

No body on frame truck rides like this.
I have a half ton and get to drive all the new half tons as they come through the boat shop- and none have anywhere near the handling, quietness, or comfort of this thing.

People that dont like the Ridgeline have never driven or used a Ridgeline.

UD

Now that they fixed the seats in the 2020 tacoma it deserves a serious look.

As a guy that owns both - Im going to disagree with you.

The taco ride & handles, terribly, it gets terrible mileage, and has lame drum rear brakes. Just spent a day in one - need a kidney belt next time I go out in it.

UD

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
No doubt the Ridgeline is a very nice smooth riding truck. That is the best part about it. If it was a bit easier to park my mother would own one. She still clings to her 2002 Dakota with 55k miles on it. Tacoma was never comfortable enough until 2020. Ranger and Tacoma suspensions are far more off road oriented than she wants or needs.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

I'm so tired of hearing this.

Park a full size next to a Ridgeline/Colorado/Ranger and the full size pickup is enormous by comparison.

Maybe on paper they're similar. In the real world, it's night and day.

They are. And the Frontier is even smaller than the Ridge/Colorado/Ranger. It's one of the things I liked about it. The mid-size trucks do feel smaller when driving them.

It really comes down to what you're going to be doing with it and what you need it for.

I'd have more confidence in long term reliability with the Honda than Dodge.

I just drove from Grass valley Nevada city area to LA this morning in it. 463 miles.

My day job company is in the Sierra Nevada foothills where I experience everything from rain, mud, snow to gravel hills and mountain grade slopes in the same day.
The AWD system is simply great making the rig super sure footed without any machinations needed - just drive where you want to go.
With slightly larger offload profile tires it will do surprisingly well offroad- as it is the 80/20 Road bias is perfect for what I do

The electronic suite of both laser cruise and lane keeping assist work very well on high speed " out of town" freeway travel.
In town freeway use has the min distance on the follow still too far away resulting in large gaps, but out in the open where closure rates can be dramatic the systems work well.

Used properly (With hand on wheel always) they simply reduce the physical and mental load - its not as good as what the teslas have full stop, but aside from the ford the other mid sized trucks didnt have these in 2017 when I got the ridge.

Up front Its got more space, storage and amenities for the driver and front passenger than my Titan or my Rx400H

UD

^ Nice. And that's the benefit of that great AWD system in the environments you encounter day to day.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Originally Posted by terry274
I am thinking of buying a 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL or RTL-E. Is there anything to watch out for on these?

the hideous appearance?

+1

Originally Posted by Ed_T
I am thinking of buying a 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL or RTL-E. Is there anything to watch out for on these?

the hideous appearance?

+1

Dumb.

Originally Posted by gofast182
Originally Posted by Ed_T

the hideous appearance?

+1

Dumb.

Smart.

Wanna keep going?

I get that some people may not find the appearance of the Ridgeline appealing. But the 2019 is hideous?
So far I am really enjoying my new truck. After a month or two I will post a review. I only have 400 miles on it at this point so it's too early to really give an accurate assessment.

[Linked Image]

I like it. In the winter time when you have that light coating of snow or areas of dry pavement and snow covered roads, this is when you want an AWD system. Switching in and out of 4WD in situations like that is not ideal.

Originally Posted by buster
I like it. In the winter time when you have that light coating of snow or areas of dry pavement and snow covered roads, this is when you want an AWD system. Switching in and out of 4WD in situations like that is not ideal.

Yep, it kinda sucks actually. On the fly 4WD is great, no doubt, as is snow tires. We had a minor snow flurry yesterday, and I ran an errand in my truck, and I totally noticed what you mention. Just dusting but slick in some spots. I hit a minor bump (pothole maybe) and the solid axle did its thing, and the truck did a bit of a fishtale. Major issue? No, but not quite the same as a FWD setup. Or AWD.

Deep snow or off road, part time 4WD is great. Dry pavement, not a problem (in 2HI). It's that between area that it really falls on its face.

More and more 4WD vehicle OEM's are adding multi modes into the system … and the systems are getting "smarter"

On appearance beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I like the sleeker front compared to a boxy front all my other trucks have and had, maybe I like it because it works better for me.

In its case function follows form - the Ridgeline is exceptionally quiet and slippery @cd of .31 best midsize trucks in its class.

My employees colorado need an air dam to get 21 at the same speed that you have to take off to drive across a lawn and its a real pain- this is the " Z71 (?)" package...

I just put another 463 miles on today and got 27.5 (indicated) at 75 MPH - I can get 31 @ 70 but that extra 5 MPH buys you a half an hour extra at the end of the day. Only the diesel 2wd mid sized truck can beat it for MPG It impressive for a full time AWD 4 door pickup

5 hours tow in the right lane on Californias terrible freeways will have you reaching for a kidney belt in a body on frame truck - ALL other trucks beat you death in these situations.

UD

Last edited:
Back