2015 Toyota Highlander V6 100k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Bitogers, I'm needing some quality advice on what I need to do. Our 2015 V6 Toyota Highlander just turned 100,000 miles. I have had no issues with it whatsoever - not one. Other than replacing tires and engine oil, the thing has been flawless.

This is where my questions being. I am getting so many different opinions on what fluids need to be changed out and when? Coolant? Brake fluid? trans fluid? diff fluid? The Toyota schedule is telling me one thing (coolant) and the dealer something else (trans, brake, coolant) and the Facebook forum is scattered with differing opinions on what fluids need to be changed. Theres the "lifetime" fluids club, the 30k fluids club, and the who cares as long as its running club.

My wife and I have no plans on getting rid of this car anytime soon. We love it and it serves our family of 4 perfectly. I will say this, I currently do not have time with graduate school and two kids under 4, nor an interest in doing it myself - will be done either at dealer or independent shop. What should I do? Which fluids?

Thanks in advance for your help and quality advice!

Not a Toyota expert at all but here are my thoughts:
Coolant - probably okay. I think most anything now (at least my newer Jeeps) use 10yr/150k mile coolant. There's a decent chance within the next 50k you might want to do the water pump or radiator or tstat, so I'd leave that.
Diffs (if AWD) - probably.
Trans - probably.
Brakes - some peoples heads will explode, but I've never done a complete brake fluid flush on anything I've owned, just bleeding as I've replaced components.

Has far as coolant replacement goes...

Take a look at the Peak 10x antifreeze coolant... Not a dex clone or dexcool.. No 2h-ea at all in it at all... Meets the Japanese standards for most Asian vehicles... And last for 300,000 miles...

That coolant may well be a perfect possibility for your Toyota. Just check your owners manual to truly make sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
If you've been doing your 30k 60K 90K maintenance and you don't have time just take it in at the next service interval.

+1

OP..unless there's something going on like a leak or what not, shut out the noise from FB and even the dealership. Follow the owners manual, they built the darn thing. This will give you the best chances of getting the most out of the vehicle....

Last edited:
ATF - at least a drain 'n fill.
Brake fluid - change it! It's a safety issue.
Coolant - drain 'n fill.
Diffs and transfer case fluids - change 'em.
Power steering fluid - at least a drain 'n fill.

Originally Posted by cos
ATF - at least a drain 'n fill.
Brake fluid - change it! It's a safety issue.
Coolant - drain 'n fill.
Diffs and transfer case fluids - change 'em.
Power steering fluid - at least a drain 'n fill.

This is exactly what I would do. Solid advice.

If you have a manual, go through it. If not, here is the link https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om-s/OM48E98U/pdf/OM48E98U.pdf

It also depends on what maintenance you have done so far. I agree with @cos that is the least I would do.

With regards to brake fluid, I change it every 4 years because this is hygroscopic whether it is required or not. It costs about $100, that's definitely worth peace of mind.

Don't trust the forum folks who take of OTC coolants - it is a very dangerous and expensive game to play.
I have learned one thing never ever mess around in the coolant department - period. Everything else there is a give

Drain the coolant from the radiator and refill OEM coolant
Brakes are a must and replacing the fluid all across
PS flush is a must
OEM ATF flush is a must
Plugs are around the corner

As a Toyota "expert", at least in ownership, here are my recommendations.

The cars I own were all purchased "til death do us part." Remember this in my recommendations.
This point of view changes my maintenance schedule as I have no plans to ever sell any of them.
I've had Toyotas since 1983 when I purchased the only new car I ever owned, a Toyota Camry so "we" have a history.

Find a local Toyota mechanic. I use a Toyota mechanic that does my work at his home.
Toyota by day, self employed by night. He charges me $50/hr. We only use Toyota OEM parts.

Change the coolant and only use Toyota pink cap (it's early at 100K but I don't care)
Change the differentials gear oil. I use Amsoil but any synthetic would be fine.
Change the transfer case but it takes a special oil. Use Toyota only to be safe.
I would change the brake fluid as it has been about 5 years.
Change Power Steering Fluid. I use Toyota Dexron III in all mine but that's not the law.

As far as the Transmission, that can be a little delicate. Do you have an ATF dipstick where you can check the fluid level?
My son's '09 Highlander has a dipstick and it is a breeze to do a drain and fill.
If your transmission is sealed, you need someone who knows what he is doing to change it. But it must
be changed with only Toyota WS fluid. Don't believe what many will tell you about using a Multi-Vehicle ATF.

I am an adamant, die hard, cigar chewing, donkey kicking proponent of using only Toyota Coolant and Toyota ATF.

From this point on, I would change the coolant and ATF (drain and fill) every 30k, gear oils every 50k, brake fluid
and power steering fluid every 3 year. Lube your driveshaft every oil change.

What has been your oil change interval?

I have Toyo and Lexus - the manual says replace brake fluid every 24mo on Lexus and not Toyota.
Brake fluids need replacement every 24mo

I would consider changing them all , one at a time if you need to stretch it out some . Does the transmission fluid smell burnt / bad ?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I would consider changing them all , one at a time if you need to stretch it out some . Does the transmission fluid smell burnt / bad ?

WyrTwister makes a good point. My son just purchased an '09 Highlander with perfect maintenance records from Toyota with 138K and it had never had the ATF changed and
it still "looked" and smelled great. I would still change it at 100K.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Change the coolant and only use Toyota pink cap (it's early at 100K but I don't care)

This is wrong. I made a mistake. The owner's manual says initial replacement of coolant at 100K
It is NOT early.

Toyota knows your Toyota. Go by the Maintenance Schedule precisely, despite what people on the internet tell you.
And dealers love to make money with more stuff than what Toyota says is necessary.

" Initial coolant anti-freeze replacement at 100,000 miles/120 months. Replace every 50,000 miles/60 months thereafter." --
https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/doc...ander/pdf/2015_Toyota_Highlander_WMG.pdf

If you "Driving while towing, using a car-top carrier, or heavy vehicle loading" you are supposed to change the automatic transmission fluid every 30,000 miles.
Same for all transfer case and both differentials, it is all in the PDF file referenced above.

I would maybe make an exception by getting a brake fluid flush and re-fill. 100,000 miles seems like a great time to do that. (Toyota disagrees.) I'd be concerned about corrosion and water absorption every 5 years.

Its a complicated Maintenance Schedule in the PDF file above.

The 1st thing I do when I get a used vehicle is to service all the fluids.
Perhaps pretend you just bought your Highlander....
Have fun with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back