Measuring and adding fuel treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
What tool do you guys use to accurately measure and pour into the gas tank without a mess, a fuel treatment like redline si1 at maintenance doses? Something you can carry in the car that doesn't become a hazard now that you've put fuel treatment in it.

It would be nice if redline si1 or other products where you only use a small part of the bottle had a built in measuring and dispensing spout making this easier.

SI-1 used to be marked for 10 gallon maintenance dose increments. They did remove that I recall....

Honestly I just go by the less is more philosophy, and err on the side of less.

You could get some sort of measurement cup and pour appropriate quantities out, mark the bottle, then put it back in. Assuming you're going to consistently use that add, and the bottle doesn't change, no big deal. Pour half the bottle out, mark it, then use a ruler to mark the other appropriate points.

I use a metal measuring tablespoon. If you have steady hands it is easy to pour out a tablespoon or two and the spoon fits nicely into the fuel inlet of our cars. I can get all but maybe a couple of drops into the tank without spilling any. Measuring tablespoons come in a number of different shapes, so pick one that will mate with your inlet. I think gas tank inlets are standardized, so this should work on just about any make and model.

I found a PVC measuring cup at Bomgaars (home and ranch) used by the ag people for mixing whatever it is they spray. Graduated in ounces. Use it to dose each tank of fuel with Techron and A StayBil product. Seems impervious to additives. Little pricey though. Seems all that ag spray equipment is $$.

I use an old, empty bottle of "Stabil" fuel stabilizer (The one with a ounce incremented measuring device built into the container that you "squeeze")
I'm able to accurately measure the amount needed in relation to the fuel I used.

McMasterCarr sells a 100 mL graduated cylinder made from translucent white plastic that is very good for measuring additives like Redline SL-1 down to the mL.

I use to add Redline SL-1 to the gas-tank before each fill-up. If I remember correctly the recommended dose on the Redline bottle is 4.45 mL per gallon of gasoline.

McMasterCarr has a web site. You can order from them. There shipping is very fast and low cost. They have a special deal with UPS.

Last edited:
Store the graduated cylinder upside down in a plastic bag with no holes in it after you use it. Redline Sl-1 is extremely hydroscopic. It will pull water right out of the air and if stored upright there will be some water in the cylinder the next time you go to use it if stored upright.

Who measures! i just pour the whole bottle in and fuel up, i err on the most is best.
11.gif

No need for maintenance dose if you use top tier especially Costco which is usually the cheapest.

Otherwise, I typically buy fuel system cleaner bottles that treat my fuel tank size.

On the occasions where I have bought the "treats 35 gallons" Gumout All In One Complete, the tool I used to measure splitting the bottle between two vehicles was my eyes.

I use s twin neck dispensing bottle. Its a 16oz bottle with a 1oz dispenser. You squeeze the bottle, it fills the dispenser.

I used an empty sta-bil bottle previously, which works good. But I don't like carrying around an entire quart of additive. I went to a local plastics shop (Tap Plastics, they sell sheet acrylic, laminates, plastic strands, buckets, bottles, containers galore, it's really cool) and found some small 5-oz HDPE plastic bottles with lids that seal up well, I think they were $0.50 apiece.
Here's the webpage: Tap Plastics - Plastic Bottles with Lids

Anyway, I used the sta-bil bottle to measure out 1oz increments and marked 1oz lines on the side of the small bottles. Now I just carry asmall bottle with me in the car or truck all the time and refill as needed.

The plan was for si1 maintenance doses but now it's no longer recommended to use that way? Then I may not pursue this further as that was what kicked off the idea.

I think the stabil bottle idea works well. That is the ideal bottle for this it seems. All self contained, easy to measure, easy to pour in the gas tank.

Buy a measuring cup at Dollar Tree and use a funnel. Most gas stations have paper towels at the pumps so you can wipe them out. I use a gallon milk jug the top cut out as a caddy since I use additive every fill up. (An old diesel that needs help with ULSD) It keeps the carpet clean from residue and it's just handy to grab and put back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back