M7060 calls for 45 cetane, preferably 50. Can only find 40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I have a Kubota M7060 and an RTV-x900 that call for a minimum of 45 cetane No. 2 Diesel, and preferably 50 cetane in cold temperatures and at high elevations. I've only been able to find off-road diesel pumps stamped with 40 cetane stickers. There is a local Exxon gas station/small truck stop with an off-road pump, and there's Ellington Energy Company in the closest town of any significant size. I tried asking the front desk guy at Ellington what the actual cetane rating of the fuel they sell is, but he didn't know, just that it was at least 40.

So far I've been adding adding Diesel Kleen to all fuel I use at a double dose, like it says you can on the bottle. This comes out to about 3.5oz for every 5 gallons. Diesel Kleen claims that their product can increase the cetane number by 7 numbers, but it that really possible at the treat rate? Do they actually mean 0.7 cetane instead of 7.0 cetane or something weaselly like that?

Now the real question is, does it really matter all that much? Can low cetane damage my diesel engines, or will it only affect fuel consumption and power output? Is there a diesel equivalent to LSPI? High Speed Post Ignition or something? If it's not hurting anything, then I'll keep on doing what I'm doing, but if I'm shortening the lifespan of the engines I'll try to scramble and find a solution.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Your fuel pump will thank you for the Diesel Kleen...for the lubricity. Low cetane just causes your engine to run like crap, or not at all. Lower power, more consumption etc.

If you're worried about the cost....try mixing a little 2-stoke oil with the diesel and use a normal dose of diesel kleen. (That's just what I do, along with a diesel stabilizer (Stabil diesel), and algae preventer (Biobor)).

Last edited:
most likely the cetane differs seasonally and is at least 40..
so if its a reputable place it will have fuel with higher cetane rating when needed.

https://www.amalgamatedinc.com/refineries-terminals-marketers.aspx

By law the min cetane for diesel fuel is 40 but in reality the actual level fluctuates between 45-48. This is why IF a diesel pump happens to indicate cetane it's always going to be 40. Basically I wouldn't worry about cetane but I would worry about stale fuel. If you live in an area which has high demand for off-road diesel (which is sounds like you do) then there's a good chance that the tank has a lot of turnover. In any case when in doubt you can always use an additive. I used the company above for my "on-road" diesel because of their price per dose and that they used 2EHN has the cetane improver which PowerService does not. In addition the amount of improvement in cetane depends on the composition of the finished fuel itself (which the consumer does not and never will know). For example an additive may move one batch of fuel from 40 to 46 (6 points) and the same additive at the same treat rate may only move another batch from 47 to 48 (1 point).

Higher cetane really only makes starting easier, reduces smoke on start up, smooths out the engine at idle. When running at full power the cetane level won't make a difference. LSPI is a gas phenomenon.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the cetane debacle for the Ford 6.0 liter.
Try to get a fleet of 500 6.0 truck drivers, spread all over the country to add specific amounts of additives to boost the cetane.

It's not happpening.....

Hot Shot's Scret Everyday diesel additive. Best on the market for the price with 1 oz treating 20+ gallons.. Oreilly's or Amazon to buy it. Oreillys has $5 off rebates for it though when purchased in store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back