ATF fluid life sitting in cold garage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found a case of Toyota WS fluid from a different vehicle I had sold. I recently bought a Scion xB and it uses WS fluid.

This case has been sitting in my garage for two years in 90 degree heat down to 0F here in South Dakota.

Should I use the fluid given the severe temp extremes and how long it has been sitting?

Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Well.

If it was in your transmission for two years you wouldn't second guess it, would you?

This

Shake it up, anything that isn't fully in suspension will come loose in the bottle and be mixed once your tranny gets hot enough.

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaDad
I found a case of Toyota WS fluid from a different vehicle I had sold. I recently bought a Scion xB and it uses WS fluid.

This case has been sitting in my garage for two years in 90 degree heat down to 0F here in South Dakota.

Should I use the fluid given the severe temp extremes and how long it has been sitting?

Thanks for the replies.

If the seals on the caps have not been broken or bottles opened you're good to go.

Is it a 6 pack or a 12 pack case? All the "newer" cases are 6 packs with little punch out finger holes to help carry. Very nice, indeed.

Ain't it great when something like this happens? Like finding money in your underwear drawer

Originally Posted by Gebo
Ain't it great when something like this happens? Like finding money in your underwear drawer

Even better is finding cash in some of your ex's stuff that was left behind.
55.gif

OP, use it. I'm using locktite from my first job in the late 80's and it still works fine!

I know pretty much nothings about Toyotas , but I would use it . Not like it was milk , left sitting in your garage for that long ( not refrigerated ) .
s

Originally Posted by SouthDakotaDad

Those "severe" temp extremes are nothing compared to the temp extremes ATF experiences in a transmission. Think about it.
Consider that fluid to just be in hibernation until someone puts it in their car.

Last edited:
As long as the bottles are sealed from the factory, you're good to go.

WS is hygroscopic, the original formulation from Idemitsu or XOM Japan turned purple upon exposure to air. The current blend from XOM doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back