4Runner 2wd front suspension noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our 2016 4Runner has just under 40,000 miles. It's a 2wd, so no drive components up front.

It's been making front suspension noise for a month or so. A loud creaking sound when turning into the driveway. I just assumed it was a dry or bad sway bar bushing. Now it's started popping when turning while driving slow (like in a parking lot). I could feel the pops last night when I took it to the gas station. I don't drive it often, but my wife says it also makes a groaning sound above 55mph.

Long story short, I took it to Toyota today and we couldn't recreate the noises. It was cooler last night (~50) and today was around 75. I plan on pulling off the skid plates this weekend and checking all the nuts just to make sure they're not loose. I'll also take a look at the sway bar bushings. Anyone have any other ideas? I've never had a car so new make suspension noise.

I've seen more than a few steering racks make noise coming from the bushings and/or bolts that mount the rack.

The steering stopper bolts with their nylon caps were on the old recirculating ball steering systems. Those systems disappeared on 4Runner's with the end of the '95 model year.

My 2015 Tacoma (with less miles on the odometer) probably uses the same front suspension components and it's just as noisy. Lots of creaks when rolling up my driveway and going over speed bumps. It's totally normal, although annoying and absurd given how much these vehicles cost.

A less then 5 year old 4Runner has a mechanical problem?! Geez somewhere in Texas Scotty Kilmer is breathlessly mouthing the lines to Shelly's Ozymandias.

No expert here, but at least check the sway bar bushings. If they are bad you can get all kinds of noises and clunks that really sound expensive to repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back