Modified Milesyn 0w20 5120 miles 2018 Mazda3 2.5L

Status
Not open for further replies.
The base oil is modified Milesyn full synthetic with 10ml Max ZDDP and 4oz Liqui Moly #2009. 5120 miles on the oil over spring and summer. Filter was a Fram Ultra. There was no make-up oil and there was no perceptible oil loss based on the amount drained out. The sample was taken after a short (~5 mile) ride which probably explains the slightly higher fuel dilution. In July, I took the car on two track sessions totaling about 80 miles of road-course twists, turns and straights. Speed varied between 30 to roughly 110 MPH. The rest of the time, this is my daily driver.

By the way, as a spring/summer experiment, only mid-grade gasoline (89 octane, 10% ethanol) was used. The vehicle calls for 87 octane. There was no perceptible difference in performance or fuel economy. Average fuel economy during this OCI as calculated manually was 35.2 MPG. I've already switched back to 87 octane and will stay there. I usually use top-tier fuel.

Break-in is coming along nicely... I'll probably extend to 7500 mile OCIs which is the max recommended. Sadly though, I'll probably end-up doing oil changes in the driveway in the middle of winter (Yuk) so maybe I'll stick with 2x a year. I have no desire to extend OCI's beyond 7500 miles.

Enjoy the data...

OilReport002_Mazda3.JPG

Looks good and TBN is still strong.....just hard to tell with the additives of what benefit or detriment they are, as opposed to the oil itself.

Not sure why but the report won't show in the original post so I'm reposting a PDF version.

EDIT: Duh... looks like there's a website problem...

Last edited:
I never really understand the use of oil additives. Of course it's your car and you are free to do as you please, but what's the benefit? Modern oils are so good on their own.

Originally Posted by JoelB
I never really understand the use of oil additives. Of course it's your car and you are free to do as you please, but what's the benefit? Modern oils are so good on their own.

Well, IMO they can fall into the one size fits none categories … we hear experts say that even in well formulated lubricants the chemicals compete … things like AW additives etc …
So to toss in a random amount/mix of chemicals in a random oil formula just does not square with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back