Fleet Ford Transit 250 - Pennzoil Gold 0w-20, 5,300 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fleet vehicles running a 0w-20?! Yes! And with the best results so far! Surprised me too. Two of my 2015 Ford Transits with the 3.7L V6. These vehicles are ran with a minimum of 1,300 lbs payload at all times, and often more than 2,500 lbs. About a 50/50 split of highway and urban driving.

Pennzoil Gold 0w-20, Amsoil EaO17 filters

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Thanks for the info!!ðŸ‘
I've often wonder how good Pennzoil Gold might be since it states on the bottle that it's 50/50 Syn Blend
Both engines look really good
Thanks

Originally Posted by danez_yoda
what were the previous oils used in the three right hand columns?

Top report, left to right:
Pennzoil 10w-30
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w-20
Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w-20

Bottom report, left to right:
Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w-30
Castrol Edge 0w-20
Pennzoil Platinum 5w-20

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Looks good. Any idea where copper may be from?

Can't go wrong with SOPUS products
smile.gif

Thank You for UOA's also

Unfortunately, no, I don't really know where the copper might be from. I'm sure someone on here might have a better idea than I do. Blackstone only commented on it as being pretty common for "new parts" to have high copper. It's been pretty steady after the break in period, so I'm not too concerned about it at all.

The first couple UOAs can be ignored; that's break-in stuff in addition to the wear.

The 3.7L is the larger bore version of the 3.5 Duratec; generally a very solid engine and they wear quite well regardless of what lube you use.

The issue with this engine family is the internal coolant pump. The MOST important thing to track in the UOA is the coolant; catch the pump leak prior to serious damage due to oil thickening to a gel.

i think the reductions are due to a young engine moreso than the 0w20. then numbers are tending downward as the engine breaks in.

copper is usually bearings. normal and nothing to be concerned about,

Great reports! Looks like great oil!

I can't find PG anywhere around. Of course, there are so many good deals on full synthetic, I don't know if there is a market for it. I recently picked up a jug of Rotella GT 0w20 for 20 bucks minus a $10 rebate. I also picked up a couple of 6 quart boxes of Havoline Pro DS for 19 bucks each, as well.

If you can find it, it looks like it is worth continuing!

I found a six gallon box on eBay ...
became donation to family oil trusts when the M1 AP went on clearance

I'd never run Amsoil oil filters on fleet purchases. Too expensive. Fram Ultras perform better and are cheaper too.
SuperTech full synthetic 0w20 or Havoline DS 0w20 in 6 quart boxes at walmart is likely cheaper than the syn blend you're using too, and both still have the key dexos1 performance rating we look for.
For fleets, I'd think cost and performance would be important.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
The first couple UOAs can be ignored; that's break-in stuff in addition to the wear.

The 3.7L is the larger bore version of the 3.5 Duratec; generally a very solid engine and they wear quite well regardless of what lube you use.

The issue with this engine family is the internal coolant pump. The MOST important thing to track in the UOA is the coolant; catch the pump leak prior to serious damage due to oil thickening to a gel.

Agreed. The water pump is the part of those engines I am most concerned about. Not a small deal when those things go.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Great reports! Looks like great oil!

I can't find PG anywhere around. Of course, there are so many good deals on full synthetic, I don't know if there is a market for it. I recently picked up a jug of Rotella GT 0w20 for 20 bucks minus a $10 rebate. I also picked up a couple of 6 quart boxes of Havoline Pro DS for 19 bucks each, as well.

If you can find it, it looks like it is worth continuing!

Walmart has PG available in my area. This was more or less an experiment since I've always wanted to see what a UOA would look like after running it. There are probably more readily available synthetic oils for around the same price. I picked up this run for about $17 per 5-quart jug. The 6-quart cases I usually find tend to be much more expensive.

Originally Posted by paoester
I'd never run Amsoil oil filters on fleet purchases. Too expensive. Fram Ultras perform better and are cheaper too.
SuperTech full synthetic 0w20 or Havoline DS 0w20 in 6 quart boxes at walmart is likely cheaper than the syn blend you're using too, and both still have the key dexos1 performance rating we look for.
For fleets, I'd think cost and performance would be important.

I don't usually run anything other than the stock Motorcraft FL-500S on these vans. I can pick them up locally for around $4-6 each and they work just fine. The Amsoil filters were given to me by one of my employees who sold his truck and didn't need them anymore. Not knowing their complete history and not being in any kind of sealed package, I opted to run them on the fleet vehicles instead of my personal F150 (in my sig) that uses the same size.

Havoline and Super Tech are marginally cheaper than the Pennzoil Gold. As I said above though, I wanted to see some UOAs from this oil. I normally run whatever is available on hand for the fleet, which is usually whatever I could get a good deal on when I make a large purchase. I buy a year's worth of oil for the whole fleet at a single time.

what surprised me here is that some of his earlier runs of xw-20 had UOA viscosities well into the 30 weight zone. Hmmm. Different Transit motor, but my 5w30 PP & PUP returned lower visc's well below his 0w20's. Full disclosure: I'm not happy with Pennzoil (Plat & Ultra Plat)...for that reason.

I wouldn't worry about the copper as your other wear metals are low to non-existent.

Copper in UOA

Excerpt:
"The appearance of Copper in a used oil analysis should not be cause for alarm or repair unless other abrasive wear metal such as iron, aluminum, chromium, etc. are present at higher than normal levels. There are several possible sources for high Copper levels. Leaching as mentioned before from oil coolers, leaks from cooling systems, external contaminates, an oil additive, or from excessive wear."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back