Do you need a receipt to warranty a NAPA battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought a car with a NAPA Legend Premium battery and a 9/17 date sticker. Battery won't hold a charge after 24 hours on an advanced charger. Does NAPA require a receipt for a warranty replacement?

In this case, yes.

However, if you made the purchase and are registered with NAPA (or AZ or AAP or O'Reillys) they would have a record of the purchase and you might be able to warranty it that way.

Most East Penn batteries have shorter warranties than other manufacturers

That is a financial decision on their part, the quality of the batteries are top notch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by NASTI
Legend Premium batteries only come with a 24 mo free replacement. Rest is prorated.

That's fine, It's at month 26. Can't be too much I would have to kick in.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Legend Premium batteries only come with a 24 mo free replacement. Rest is prorated.

That's fine, It's at month 26. Can't be too much I would have to kick in.

If I'm not mistaken, once it's in it's pro-rated part of the warranty, they calculate it from day 1. Meaning if it is pro-rated for 5 years and you're 2 years and 2 months in, you're paying between 40-50% of the battery cost. I was shocked when I had to do mine. I'll check in a few to confirm.

All this great technology they used to build batteries with an 84 month warranty and they weren't prorated and most of them lasted
longer than that if maintained.

Typically warranty is not transferrable. If you had the receipt they probably wouldn't care but no receipt, well, too bad.

Depends on the individual store. When I worked at the local NAPA, we just went by the date on the battery...no receipt needed.

Originally Posted by zrxkawboy
Depends on the individual store. When I worked at the local NAPA, we just went by the date on the battery...no receipt needed.

How long ago was that? Just got back from NAPA and no warranty without receipt. Even with a receipt, I'd have to pay $52 when it's just 2 months out of the 2 year free replacement. Wouldn't buy a NAPA battery for that reason alone. New it sells for $159 when I can get 2 Walmart batteries for $100 a year apart and still be ahead.

If you have a vehicle you want to keep, the Sam's Club East Penn Duracells seem to be the best deal at $100-105, 3 year replacement warranty. If you're selling it, the $49 WM Value Power is cheapest-but with only 1 year warranty & Exide made, better be sure you unload it. I tried to get my local East Penn stocking AP store (Smyth Automotive) to price match Sam's, they about laughed me out of the building, & theirs only had a 2 year warranty!

Originally Posted by motts

Not necessarily-the (no longer sold) Meijer Platinum & the Sam's Club Duracell Gold ones both had/have 3 year replacement warranties. For some reason, pretty much every manufacturer left is shortening warranties & raising prices. Got to pay for those corporate takeovers somehow.

Had the battery on a Battery Minder overnight on desulfating mode. Went from 170 CCA to over 500 this morning. Does that mean it might still be good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back