Surprise found in HF Predator 3500 Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm betting they were getting returns for bad plugs.

5 years ago if not more, the consensus was that they were good units, but needed the Honda equivalent plug to run properly.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Op just curious what transfer switch you went with.
Reliance 3140CRK Pro/Tran

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Were you able to do the install yourself?
Yes and no. I installed the switch and the interconnects to the breaker box, but had a licensed electrician install the inlet box and power feed. My concern was the conversion from a split phase 240 VAC transfer switch to a 120 VAC generator. The electrician explained that everything inside the house had to be ready to accept 240 VAC should the next owner have a larger generator, but that it was perfectly okay to make the conversion outside. He made the conversion in the short pigtail cord supplied with this kit. He also bumped up the wire gauge inside due to the length of the run. Were it not for that, I would have done the entire job myself.

[Linked Image from srrl-rr.org]

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I run the Torch plugs until they dont run any longer. Which is forever.

They seem to be hit or miss. I've re-powered a lot of machines with HF Predator 212cc engines. Some of them still have the same Torch plug years later without issue, and others failed shortly after the engine was installed. Like anything else it seems to be more of a quality control thing than the design of the plug.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

They seem to be hit or miss. I've re-powered a lot of machines with HF Predator 212cc engines. Some of them still have the same Torch plug years later without issue, and others failed shortly after the engine was installed. Like anything else it seems to be more of a quality control thing than the design of the plug.

5 years ago i bought a Troy-Bilt snow blower with a Chinese Powermore engine. It came with a Torch spark plug. It ran fine but took ~5 pulls to start it. After the first year I swapped the Torch plug for it's equivalent NGK plug. As soon as I installed the NGK it starts on the first pull and runs great. I just bought a Ryobi 2 cycle leaf blower that came with a Torch plug. I'm going to get a NGK plug because the first start was quick, two days later it took many pulls to start it even though I followed the exact same start up procedure. I'm using a new can of 2 cycle fuel so that's not an issue. Once the blower is running it runs fine, it's the starting. Hopefully the NGK plug will restore the quick starting as it did with the snow blower.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by jeepman3071

My Champion gen ran better after changing the torch plug.

I purchased the HF Predator gas two stroke auger, came with a torch plug. I use it for fence posts, live stock pen poles and planting stuff around the house. After one and a half tanks of fuel the plug went bad and bought a NGK replacement which has worked fine ever since. However, I also have the first gen HF 2500/2200 inverter generator which also came with a torch plug, it ran for three years without a problem. I changed it to an NGK just as a preventive measure, since it will be run for hours when its used. So in my experience, the torch has worked most of the time 50% of the time.

If anyone is interested in the performance of the gas auger, its terrible. You would probably be better of renting one.

NGK is the way to go IMO. I have two HF Predator 212s that I use frequently. One in a mini bike has a NGK plug. Runs like a scalded cat and has a LOT of horribly abusive hours on it. The other is on a sidewalk edger and has the OEM Torch plug. I was going to change the Torch out right away but never really got around to it. The Torch lasted the season without any issue. Granted the edger is ridiculously overpowered and doesn't see near the use the mini bike does but I'll see how far it goes. Might die on the next tank of fuel, might last a few decades. Who knows, maybe I got a good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back