Best Universal Brake Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for recommendations for a Grease I can use on Calipers and Drum Hardware like Backing Plate contact points, Star Wheels too .
Super Lube some say.

There's no "BEST UNIVERSAL BRAKE GREASE", period.

seasoned/experienced mechanics should have 2 or more different types of grease for brake jobs:

Sylglide or similar for guide pins and bushings; high temp copper antiseize for drum brake backing/metal-to-metal sliding point lubrications.

Someone would also recommend using something like permatex purple synthetic ceramic grease for brake pad backing lube (I do that too), while others would recommend high melting point anti-seize (that works also, apply sparingly).

I've seen some ole mechs applying bearing grease on guide pin bushings before, and the liability concerns are on them (and not me).

Q.

Honda M77 moly assembly lube for pad ears and other points of metal on metal contact like that. Sil-glide for pins. Anti-seize on the rim where it will sit on the hub (avoiding threads), but I'm guessing that may not be a problem where you live... maybe... but sure is here.

Originally Posted by Dave9
Raybestos Silicone Paste, DBL-2T, followed by 3M Silicone Paste 08946

Curious why Raybestos Silicone Paste over 3M, just because it's cheaper?

Permatex Silicone Ceramic Extreme (Red) can be used on everything.

Permatex Ceramic Extreme (Purple) may last longer but to be safe should not be used on parts that contact rubber / plastic. For those areas, use a silicone grease such as Motorcraft XG3 or the 3M Silicone Paste.

Btw, Rockauto have good prices on Permatex so adding it to an existing order can get you a nice deal. And if you're only doing the occasional job, then the sachets from the auto store have enough.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Silicone so it's safe on rubber. Ceramic so it's high temperature tolerant. Wouldn't use anti-seize anywhere near brake parts that get hot.

The CRC brake grease is probably the closest product to a "universal" brake grease, but I have seen it gum out and dry out occasionally.

Originally Posted by diyjake

That and PTFE. As far as caliper slider pins, once they are properly cleaned and lubed with this, it's unusual to ever need lubed again unless it's a severe (not just heavy duty) use, but of course pad rails and other exposed areas will need fresh lube when they are cleaned or replaced.

Last edited:
What happened to people using the copper anti seize by CRC etc.....always worked great for me, but I am no mechanic.

Originally Posted by diyjake

That and PTFE. As far as caliper slider pins, once they are properly cleaned and lubed with this, it's unusual to ever need lubed again unless it's a severe (not just heavy duty) use, but of course pad rails and other exposed areas will need fresh lube when they are cleaned or replaced.

Thanks! I have been using Sil-Glyde for pins but I am not impressed with it so I was going to use 3M Silicone but might give DBL-2T a try. Do you use DBL-2T just for pins or metal to metal as well? I am currently using 3M 08945 Copper Anti Seize Brake Lube for metal to metal.

My current MO is Toyota Rubber Grease or Dow 111 on any rubber to metal contact like slide pins. For metal-on-metal I've been using the older version of Permatex's Silicone Brake Lube. While you can get away with the green/purple(or lilac/lavender) Permatex greases for shims, the caliper boot is often times the only defense a brake piston has and breach that, good bye piston.

I only use copper anti-seize(Never-Seez/C5-A) for drum brake backing plates/hardware and when Molykote M7439 is called for.

How does 3M or Raybestos Silicone Paste DBL-2T hold up on caliper pins? The heat doesn't affect it?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back