Fram extra guard or Orielly's Microgard

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Fram extra guard has silicone ADBV, higher efficiency. The microgard seems to be built better with a stronger shell, at least to me. Both about $4.
Third option Fram Ultra for two oil changes for me would be 8,000 to 9,000 miles total.

Last edited:
I can generally get a Fram anyplace the Microgard basically at O'Really's. O'Really's stock is over $400 a share for a reason. Did the light turn on?

Is it for a Corolla?
Because if it is, the filter isnt going to matter much, that car could go 200-300k easily on the cheapest filter and in spec oil avaliable

Originally Posted by Corollaman
2011 4.3 silverado. Olm goes off at about 4,000 miles.

Why not run an Acdelco?

Originally Posted by czbrian
Fram Ultra for two intervals. I wouldn't be afraid to do 3 intervals if you are only talking 15K miles.

Yup. What he said. Easy peasey.
To answer your question, flip a coin. Both are fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

Why not run an Acdelco?

I was actually running the Supertech 3387a which is a clone of the AC pf47E. The filter location is easy but makes a mess, that's why running a Ultra for two oil changes sounds appealing.

Why not run an Acdelco?

I was actually running the Supertech 3387a which is a clone of the AC pf47E. The filter location is easy but makes a mess, that's why running a Ultra for two oil changes sounds appealing.

The Supertech is rated to 10K miles though, why not just run one for two 5k ocis?

I understand filters being in horrible areas, my Ram is the same way, i have to finagle my arm in unnatural positions and when it does come loose, everything under it's now rust coated with used oil. But, I'm not one to run a filter twice, since I'm crawling under anyway, but if its rated that long, why not? Then cut the filter open for all of us to gush over.

Last edited:

Why not run an Acdelco?

The Supertech is rated to 10K miles though, why not just run one for two 5k ocis?

That is true but I'm not that convinced yet about running an ecore for 9,000 miles, I'd like to know if anyone here has run one that long.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Stude cut open a Champ ran for 2x 5k ocis.
It was fine.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...67037/champ-ph-500-10-000-miles-cut-open

If you're still hesitant, I think AcDelco UltraGuards are around, and are steel centertubes.

Yeah, I would run a Champ Labs to 10k without issue. Hard to go wrong with AC DELCO

I mean. They do make SuperTech filters that are rated to 10k, I highly, HIGHLY doubt walmart is gonna pay Champ for a better filter than the regular old white can.

OP I was in the same boat once as you, hesitant to use Ecores, when they first came out we saw media blowouts almost daily, those days are gone, the cages have tighter clearances and are fine. I've ran LuberFiners for 8-10k miles, no issue. The best thing is you can literally see if theres media tears usually. Plenty of semi trucks run Luberfiner ecores as well, for 20k+ miles.

Last edited:
I've got two Supertech ecore filters the ST3387a and the longer version ST3890, I was thinking of trying to use the larger capacity filter for the year interval. I know many people use the longer ac pf52 in place of ac pf47.

Why not run an Acdelco?

Ditto

I've got two Supertech ecore filters the ST3387a and the longer version ST3890, I was thinking of trying to use the larger capacity filter for the year interval. I know many people use the longer ac pf52 in place of ac pf47.

I used to do that in my 3800 powered Firebird. In that car it had a lot more room than other cars that use that engine, like the Buick Lucerne, LeSabre, Lacrosse, etc. I have to stick to the smaller PF47 size in a 3800 Series III Lucerne I maintain because of the way the filter is angled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back