Some people are thieves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly happens all the time around here.

Most places have the good filters behind the counter or in the back....

Originally Posted by daves87rs
Sadly happens all the time around here.

Most places have the good filters behind the counter or in the back....

Most of our filters at the part store I work at are up front... If it's not busy I check the boxes while I'm ringing up the customer. I did catch someone trying to play the filter swap game but I happened to be stocking ATF right behind them and straight up was like "can I help you with something?" And they put the boxes back on the shelf and ran out the door lol.

Originally Posted by WondrousBread
Originally Posted by Chris142
Been going on here for years. They just passed a law that makes it impossible to arrest and charge people for a crime if it's less than $750.

Wait, seriously? As in, someone can take a $700 item and flee and that's it?

No..... First off it's $950.00. And that is not to be arrested. It is the amount that has to be taken, in order to be charged with a felony. But basically you can steal quite a bit from a store in California before you find yourself behind bars. Because the stores are not going to spend more than it's worth to try and prosecute people on minor shoplifting charges. Only to have them walk anyway, and only be charged with a petty misdemeanor. So in that regard, yes, they basically get away with it.

So what will happen, is what always does when these idiotic laws are passed. The honest masses will pay for it all through higher prices. Much the same as they do with higher minimum wage laws. Someone has to pay, and it's sure not going to be the employer.

https://losspreventionmedia.com/welcome-to-california-a-shoplifters-paradise/

"As part of the bill, shoplifters would now have to steal over $950 worth of goods to be charged with a felony."

That's typical of Walmart in my area. If I'm buying an oil filter I check the contents of the box every time.

I don't understand this. It's incredibly easy for an employee to look back at the cameras. Don't thieves know this?

Our local farm store has photos of shoplifters from their security cameras at the checkout lanes.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by WondrousBread
Been going on here for years. They just passed a law that makes it impossible to arrest and charge people for a crime if it's less than $750.

Wait, seriously? As in, someone can take a $700 item and flee and that's it?

No..... First off it's $950.00. And that is not to be arrested. It is the amount that has to be taken, in order to be charged with a felony. But basically you can steal quite a bit from a store in California before you find yourself behind bars. Because the stores are not going to spend more than it's worth to try and prosecute people on minor shoplifting charges. Only to have them walk anyway, and only be charged with a petty misdemeanor. So in that regard, yes, they basically get away with it.

So what will happen, is what always does when these idiotic laws are passed. The honest masses will pay for it all through higher prices. Much the same as they do with higher minimum wage laws. Someone has to pay, and it's sure not going to be the employer.

https://losspreventionmedia.com/welcome-to-california-a-shoplifters-paradise/

"As part of the bill, shoplifters would now have to steal over $950 worth of goods to be charged with a felony."

Oh California.

What is one to do in order to protect ones things? A security system won't help. A family only highly protective watchdog perhaps?

The Fran Ultras at the Miejers near me have a round clear seal over the top flap on the box so you can tell if it has been tampered with. But, yes there are not many store clerks around at these large stores anymore...

BTY, the Ultras are $8.99, and $5 off if you buy two...so like $6.50 ea. Only in select sizes though!

So this phenomena (theft/shoplifting etc) isn't restricted to WM? Who'd a thunk it. It would seem low life individuals, low lifes, can be found in many places. Sad but true.

One reason why where practicable, inspecting filters prior to purchase, always good practice.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
So this phenomena (theft/shoplifting etc) isn't restricted to WM? Who'd a thunk it. It would seem low life individuals, low lifes, can be found in many places. Sad but true.

One reason why where practicable, inspecting filters prior to purchase, always good practice.

Sure … we have identical Walmart's 12 miles apart … I know that other town has more crime … and guess which store is loaded with the CCTV screens in the aisles … ours is not …
(Both have the same overhead cameras … more surveillance was added later)

Originally Posted by GZRider
Seems that more and more these days honesty is hard to find in the automotive industry.

Exactly what does some jackwagon switching filters in a store have to do with the auto industry? Just curious.

Last edited:
Some of the Fram Ultra boxes at my Walmart look so rough that I won't buy them even if the filter inside is what it's supposed to be. I was gonna try an XG9100 on my Duramax but all of the XG9100s that WM had were in boxes that looked like they've been ran over by a lawn mower. The boxes are ripped and crumpled to the point I'm not sure they'd sell on clearance. I usually end up just buying the OEM acdelco PF2232 or an Mobil 1 M1-303a.

I always open my filter boxes when I buy a filter, especially at Wally World because if you open 10 filter boxes there, at least 2 of them will have the wrong filter in them. It was really bad a year or two back, before Fram started sealing BOTH sides of the Ultra boxes, not just the top. The clear plastic sticker sealing the top of the box was real neat and all, but it was brain dead stupid when the bottom of the box was simply the four cardboard sides simply folded over on themselves. Now they glue them shut, but who was in charge of security of these boxes back then? That's like locking the doors on a parked convertible with the top down. Stupid.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I started reading articles about shop lifting … mother and daughter arrested for stuffing crab legs in purse.
Hit the store manager (in face) who intercepted the theft.

Can't make this up …

I worked closely with the loss prevention department at a large local store back in my high school and college days. The number one stolen item (or class of items) was...…......seafood. Mostly crab legs and shrimp.Go figure. I never would have guessed that.

Nothing but bottom feeders. I always open the box for a look.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Burn them at the steak!:

I would try burning them at the stake instead. If you try burning them at the steak, they might eat it first, and I doubt they would fit on the grill.

That goes right hand In hand with banning clear cutting and removal of dead brush and debris under power lines. You really have to wonder about the overall intelligence of the sort of idiots demanding these things. 🤨.

Originally Posted by quint
I always open my filter boxes when I buy a filter, especially at Wally World because if you open 10 filter boxes there, at least 2 of them will have the wrong filter in them.

Same here. What I have come across several times is they, (insert whoever jackwagon), will take a Fram PH orange filter out of the box, and replace it with a TG or XG filter of the same application. Which is no different than stealing. With the exception you can play stupid if caught and get away with it.

I guess at least it wasn't a used filter.
I've heard stories here with people buying a jug of oil only to find it was used oil in the jug. Customer presumably returned oil for money back.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Burn them at the steak!
shocked2.gif

Was it medium or medium rare? I've never had steak cooked on a stake.
grin2.gif

OP: I wonder if they bought and "returned" motor oil as well?

Last edited:

That sounds like there more thieves in the legislature than out on the street ! :-(

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

That sounds like there more thieves in the legislature than out on the street ! :-(

This and we have living proof everyday.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back