How nervous do you get when the gas gauge is at E?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran some Techron through a tank and got it down to 30 miles left on gauge. If I'm not cleaning, I like to fill when it's above 1/4 tank-- doesn't gas cool the fuel pump?

Last edited:
My work truck I try not to go below 1/4 tank (electric fuel pump is cooled by gas).

In my personal carbureted cars (mechanical pump) I run them down to empty way more than I should. Sometimes to the point of being very nervous when stuck in traffic.

Also in the work truck the bosses gas card is paying the bill, not me.

Wife and I have half full or half empty views … but if a round trip is going to burn over half a tank, gonna buy the gas in my town before we take off …

I tend to fill on 1/4 otherwise

[Linked Image from curbsideclassic.com]

Doesn't bother me. But I drive a fair amount so it doesn't sit on E very long. I'm not afraid to take it down to 0 miles range and continue on for 10 miles to get to Costco close to home.

Both of my vehicles can get the whole needle below the empty line and not run out of gas. So i feel very safe when it gets low

Originally Posted by csandste
Ran some Techron through a tank and got it down to 30 miles left on gauge. If I'm not cleaning, I like to fill when it's above 1/4 tank-- doesn't gas cool the fuel pump?

Yes it does. I had a co worker with a Ford V-10 Excursion who was constantly running around with an empty tank. And never put more than $10.00 in when he finally did manage to buy gas. He went through 3 fuel pumps in just over 6 years. (All OEM dealer installed).

I explained to him why you should keep the fuel pump submerged in fuel, because it helps cool it. (Not to mention you won't have to be living at the gas station, pulling in every day for a few lousy gallons).

From then on he never let his tank get below 1/2. He's still running the same pump several years later. I'm not saying every make and model will do this. But his did it 3 times, and stopped as soon as he did. Take from that what you will. It made it pretty clear to me.

I never let my tanks get under 1/2 full because of this. Except if and when I'm running a cleaner or additive in the fuel. Then I'll top it off, and run it down to just below 1/4... But never lower. No reason to. It's all risk with no reward.

I don't get nervous as long as I'm in town but, I don't let it bet below 1/4 tank during highway travel out of town/state etc.

Originally Posted by billt460
Originally Posted by csandste

Yes it does. I had a co worker with a Ford V-10 Excursion who was constantly running around with an empty tank. And never put more than $10.00 in when he finally did manage to buy gas. He went through 3 fuel pumps in just over 6 years. (All OEM dealer installed).

I explained to him why you should keep the fuel pump submerged in fuel, because it helps cool it. (Not to mention you won't have to be living at the gas station, pulling in every day for a few lousy gallons).

From then on he never let his tank get below 1/2. He's still running the same pump several years later. I'm not saying every make and model will do this. But his did it 3 times, and stopped as soon as he did. Take from that what you will. It made it pretty clear to me.

I never let my tanks get under 1/2 full because of this. Except if and when I'm running a cleaner or additive in the fuel. Then I'll top it off, and run it down to just below 1/4... But never lower. No reason to. It's all risk with no reward.
THIS! I've had to put several FPs in company vehicles, and it usually resulted after I ran it pretty low because I was running late to get somewhere. Now I fill it every day on the way home-but, of course the last Transit blew one at 55K or so anyway & had to be towed in on a flatbed...
mad.gif

The fuel light in my 2001 Sequoia comes on around "20 miles to empty" on the display, and I have never once been able to get more than 20 gallons in it, with a 26.1 gallon tank. So the light means I have 6 gallons left, so it no longer freaks me out.

My 240sx on the other hand, oh my word. The fuel light in this thing means "you just ran out of gas and stalled". It has happened twice in 18 years of driving this poor worn out old girl. I was on my way to get gas one day not long after I had just bought the car, and at the intersection before the gas station I was at the stoplight and the fuel light flickered on, and when the stoplight turned green I started to turn into the gas station and the engine stalled and I literally coasted up to the pump. Happened a second time while pulling off the interstate to get gas, the light flickered on as I was coasting up to the stoplight and before I even got to the intersection at the end of the ramp it stalled. Had to push it about a hundred feet or so into the gas station right at the exit. So both times the light came on I had less than 20 seconds or so of run time. I tend to gas this thing up around 1/8 tank or so now.

Actually my 84 Cutlass when completely full shows just under 3/4, then it will slowly rise closer to full the next 1/8 of a tank and then drop quickly. Half a tank seems to mean 3/4 and 1/4 means half, so I don't completely freak out at empty anymore but the gauge isn't so consistent that I want to trust it at empty.

The 83 Caprice has a twitch in the gauge since I replaced the instrument cluster (because the speedo was worn out). It twitches up and down by about an 1/8th, so I don't let it run lower than 1/8th especially in winter.

Originally Posted by Chris Meutsch
I top off once I know the Kenny Loggins Danger Zone is in play.

lol.gif

This will play in my head every time the light comes on now.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Before you say, I never let the gauge get that low, I don't usually either, but just picked up this car I bought a few weeks ago. And it's not as if it was a gas or even diesel vehicle where there are a dozen stations within 2 miles. This car takes CNG, of which, stations are few and far between around here. Luckily there was a station 10 miles away, so I crossed my fingers and made a run for it. Got there ok and stuffed 11.349 gallons in the tank. Capacity is supposed to be 13 gallons.

I once read that a CNG vehicle could run on fumes practically forever, not sure if that is true, but would be a good safety factor if true.

I normally fill up just under 1/4 tank to maximize my fuel rewards points, but during "weather season" I try to stay close to full.

During our annual hunting trip, I rented a Jeep Sahara and can testify the fuel gauge is accurate. On the Kansas turnpike, I could not find a gas station for many miles. I should have filled up in Salina, but assumed like most freeways there would be gas stations sprinkled everywhere, but there were not. We had 6 miles to E before we found a station.

So-so. When the light comes on I figure out where I'm going to fill up. Then I ignore the light. There's gas stations every 10-20 miles out here. And if I did run out, I'd get some much needed exercise on the walk.

I usually wait to fill up until I'm below a quarter tank, then figure out where I want to fill up. I might do it right then, I might wait another 100 miles. Mind you, our daily drivers have to be filled up once per week (they each get around 500 miles per week) so it's driven by a desire to waste less time at the gas station. If there is a storm blowing in, sure, we might proactively fill up (just like we would before heading out on a road trip), but since we shelter at home during storms, it's not really that necessary.

I let my MAZDA drop to the red warning light which is slightly below E. I then filled the tank and discovered that MAZDA was correct because there was 2.3 gallons remaining in the talk when it showed E. I generally refill at 1/4. Ed

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by atikovi
Before you say, I never let the gauge get that low, I don't usually either, but just picked up this car I bought a few weeks ago. And it's not as if it was a gas or even diesel vehicle where there are a dozen stations within 2 miles. This car takes CNG, of which, stations are few and far between around here. Luckily there was a station 10 miles away, so I crossed my fingers and made a run for it. Got there ok and stuffed 11.349 gallons in the tank. Capacity is supposed to be 13 gallons.

I once read that a CNG vehicle could run on fumes practically forever, not sure if that is true, but would be a good safety factor if true.

When full, the tank is at 3,600 psi. As the car is being driven, that drops. Once it's gets below a certain psi, it won't run. I'm not sure what psi is but assume around 50-100 or so. When filling up, a gauge on the pump shows the pressure in the tank and it was around 250.

My Camry has the x miles until empty data display. I've taken it past the 0 miles left a few times. Based on the published gas tank size and how much gas it takes to fill it when it's on 0 miles until empty, there are 2 extra gallons in the tank when it says the tank is empty. That's a healthy safety factor.

My ram has an extremely conservative fuel gauge. I've got a 32 gallon take and I've never put more than 27 in it and that was on E. My other cars I generally fill up at 1/8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back