25 Intriguing Classic Police Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
How do you get a criminal in the backseat of a 2 door compact?🤔

How about those cars that have no back seat, such as the Ford RS200?

This is intimidating.

[Linked Image]

My grandpa owned a collision repair shop his entire working life, a shop his dad started and he passed it onto my dad. He worked on a lot of Studebaker Larks, is always talking about them
lol.gif

Originally Posted by dishdude
This is intimidating.

[Linked Image]

More importantly, is that a police veloster next to it?

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis

More importantly, is that a police veloster next to it?

iirc it was a Sonic
grin2.gif

I have to think some of those vehicles mentioned above are more geared towards parking and traffic enforcement. Obviously not for transport or chases. Still - they may have good use in limited applications.

The overall list had some fun and intriguing notables.

How I so badly miss our CVPIs though ...

Last edited:
A friend of mine restores and rents police and military vehicles for the movie industry. He has a 77 polara with a 440 and all the California emissions garb as it's still required here. That poor choked 440 could not run down a Jeep Wrangler.

. You won't find the German police caught dead driving a bug in the last 40 some years. It's all BMWs and it was in his 70s as well.
We used to work with the German police on occasion while I was in the army in the late 70s. I remember seeing the dog car drive up a few times. That small black window in the beetle was almost entirely consumed by the head and shoulders of a massive German police dog ithat looked to be the size of a small adult bear.
I never could see using a two door car as a patrol vehicle. It's hard enough shoveling some stoned out of his mind dirt bag in the back of a city in when he's deciding to play but a 2 door is just so much worse. Get some wound up meth head behind you even handcuffed can cause a lot of heartache to everybody in the car.

Post this before but CT State Police had SFI Turbo Regals in the mid/late 1980s.

They were replaced by Mazda MX6s; nothing more intimidating than a 4 banger police car.....

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
Post this before but CT State Police had SFI Turbo Regals in the mid/late 1980s.

They were replaced by Mazda MX6s; nothing more intimidating than a 4 banger police car.....

Weve got a police caddie complete with spinner rims
https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/K...ial&utm_source=facebook_KWTX_News_10

Which I guess was donated.

When I was in high school in Florida we had a similar car that taught kids not do be hoodlums. It was a drug bust seized C5 Z06 that was painted department colors.

These cars do pull people over in the summertime lol

Last edited:
Typical click-bait junk article. Some are real police cars, some are just PR stunts. Some are just wrong. Example: 24, "Mini Morris". They appear to be talking about the original Morris Mini and include mention of its popularity in the UK. The picture that goes with it is of a new MINI replete in mock German police markings. Wrong car, wrong country. Oh, and you could get adults in the back of an original Mini - I know, I had one.

Also the Ford RS200 was pure PR - they were never used by the police for actual police work, just as a publicity stunt.

Lazy article is lazy.

IIRC the Monaco/Fury were the fastest US car available in 1978 when equipped with a 440.
I know CA emissions controls of that era were terrible, but it makes me wonder how much it is restricted. Then again, my well worn '78 Cordoba with a 400 wasn't that fast.

Originally Posted by Chris142
A friend of mine restores and rents police and military vehicles for the movie industry. He has a 77 polara with a 440 and all the California emissions garb as it's still required here. That poor choked 440 could not run down a Jeep Wrangler.

Even in Cali trim, a 440 Polara was a legit 130MPH ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back