Some people are thieves

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll just leave this picture here. This was Meijer Highland Indiana

60B0E424-0EA2-4917-9658-1AAF58FF318B.jpeg

Sucks on various levels, not to mention it screws up your receipt records if recording for warranty purposes and something goes wrong while one of these is on the engine.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Theft by deception?

Most likely just classified as shoplifting. That's all it would be here in GA, other states likely the same.

Either way, thieves are thieves. Hang them high.

Oil filters used to have a cellophane window on the box so you could see what you were buying. Unless it's in tamper proof packaging, nowadays I open the box just to make sure the product inside matches what it says on the box.

Plenty of people out there that want something for nothing.

This happened to me a year or two ago. I was purchasing a Fram Ultra for my mom's van, opened the box during the oil change to find a Fram Extraguard (orange can). I wasn't worried about using the orange can, but had paid for the Ultra. I always open the boxes before purchasing to make sure I am getting the correct filter. That was the only time I didn't check, and it bit me.

Originally Posted by ctechbob
Originally Posted by skyactiv
Theft by deception?

Most likely just classified as shoplifting. That's all it would be here in GA, other states likely the same.

Either way, thieves are thieves. Hang them high.

I agree the reason why shoplifting continues to be an epidemic in the USA is because we don't do anything to actually deter it.
I say if caught the FIRST time and over 18 you do at least 6 months in jail, if caught a second time you do 3 years, and if again you get 15 years with no parole.

That being said I tend to agree with corporal punishment offered up in other countries where they cane you.

A couple of years ago I stopped in the Wal Mart in New Orleans East (on Bullard Ave) to look for Fram TG's on clearance. Without exception, every Fram Ultra XG7317, plus many others, had been opened and swapped out for other cheaper filters. I took the filters out, put them on the shelf bare, wadded up the boxes and took them to the TLE counter and asked them to throw them away. They really didn't care. You just have to check before you buy. At least the thieves appreciate a quality filter and change oil.

Work boots at Meijer... I opened a box and it contained a pair of worn-out used boots. The [censored] wore the new ones out the door.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Been going on here for years. They just passed a law that makes it impossible to arrest and charge people for a crime if it's less than $750.

Wait, seriously? As in, someone can take a $700 item and flee and that's it?

One must be fairly desperate to risk a shoplifting charge to save, what, $ 4 dollars ?

But it seems to happen a fair bit. Our local Walmart now carries ONLY Fram Extra Guard oil filters. They used to carry Ultras, Tough Guards and Mobil 1 filters. Not anymore ...

I started reading articles about shop lifting … mother and daughter arrested for stuffing crab legs in purse.
Hit the store manager (in face) who intercepted the theft.

Can't make this up …

If I had a dollar for every "OEM" Nissan Infinity part I've come across, well lets just say I'd have enough I probably wouldn't be driving an Infiniti.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back