How nervous do you get when the gas gauge is at E?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you say, I never let the gauge get that low, I don't usually either, but just picked up this car I bought a few weeks ago. And it's not as if it was a gas or even diesel vehicle where there are a dozen stations within 2 miles. This car takes CNG, of which, stations are few and far between around here. Luckily there was a station 10 miles away, so I crossed my fingers and made a run for it. Got there ok and stuffed 11.349 gallons in the tank. Capacity is supposed to be 13 gallons.

I get start getting nervous at 3/8ths, and absolutely must fill up at 1/4. I don't go below half when it's cold out.

Last edited:
I never let the gauge get that low.
smile.gif

They're a little pessimistic (okay to say 'conservative' on BITOG?) in my experience with regard to indicated reading and actual displaced volume.

I'll top 'em off when down to ~1/4 capacity in case of mandatory evacuations as ordered by civil defense authorities.

I panic when the needle moves off of full! Between my OCD, earthquakes and fires I try to keep all my tanks full. My Jeep only has 1.2 gallons left when the low fuel light comes on. Our Toyota even less.

I fill up when 1/4 tank left. Getting any closer to E would really have me worrying.

No worries with my car. It's a 13.2 gallon tank and when the fuel light comes on, the fill-up only takes 10 to 11 gallons. It gets 34 MPG so it could theoretically go 60 to 90 miles before running dry.

I live very close to work, as dose my wife. So when the gas light comes on I can probably go 2 days without too much worry. Having said that, I almost never let it get that low. I fill up every 2 weeks, and I am usually around half a tank at that point.

I don't even fill until the "get gas light" illuminates. From that point, 50 miles in all my vehicles is easily the minimum I have left and I've gone that far on all of them. Not nervous at all.

Not at all. Its not uncommon for me on long trips to put 17-18+ gallons in a 19 gallon tank. I know how much fuel remains. From when the light comes on, I have 3 gallons until its flat dry.I typically get 20-1ish MPG on the highway, so 50-60 miles is about my limit.

Last edited:
Not too nervous, really. I know the Camry has several gallons in reserve, well after the light comes on and it's at 0 miles to E.
The most I've ever pumped in is just shy of 15 gallons, while having run on the light for quite some time. It's a 17 gallon tank, and has very conservative programming,
Ditto for the Sienna, except I've never put much over 18 gallons into its 20.9 gallon tank. Both Toyotas can be run for 75+ miles on the highway with the fuel light on.

I don't make a habit of this but I'm not afraid to occasionally run them down if I know there's gas available soon ahead.

In a cold climate getting stuck somewhere with 1/4 tank or less of fuel could be the end of you. On rare occasions the road can become literally impassible while you're driving on it and you could end up stuck right on the main road. Or you make a wrong turn, or slip off the road. Same thing - you're stuck with the fuel you have on board. And that fuel, nursed carefully, will keep you alive until you're rescued.

In winter, people on the prairies with any sense fill up by 1/4 tank or even sooner. So through force of habit, 1/4 tank means "buy fuel now". It also works in an earthquake zone.

My BMW "miles to empty" counter is deadly accurate. You can rely on it, and I've found that zero means zero.

The Focus' is total garbage. You can park the car with "30 miles", then start it and it will be at 0 within 3 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back