Keys from a dealer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by GearJammer
Just left a different Chevrolet dealer. I got the key for $26.09. Seems the other dealer was out of line as I suspected.

Excellent! That makes a whole lot more sense.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Originally Posted by JTK
I paid $4 each for copes of my 2015 Nissan Versa 1.6 S key. Without a key to go off of, I'm sure a copy would be way more $.

The locksmith couldn't believe a 2015 model year vehicle had a plain old key with no chip in it.

The copies kind of look like old school GM trunk keys. Funny thing is, one of the factory keys takes some fiddling in the ignition, where the copies are perfect.

Home Depot and Pep Boys can copy a regular key cheaper than that.

That would laughable to price shop something below $5 that is unlikely to happen anytime soon.

Originally Posted by GearJammer
The keys I have for my 2001 Silverado have fairly worn teeth and are getting difficult to turn sometimes. I stopped by a local Chevrolet dealer to get one cut by VIN. Of course after showing required documents I asked him how much the key will cost. He told me $15 for the key and I thought it was somewhat reasonable. Then he said another $50 for the key code! This is a plain rubberhead key with no transponder. Am I missing something or do dealers really get $65 for a plain key?

Had the same thing done at my local Chevrolet dealer for my 2002 Silverado. It was $15...plus sales tax of 8%.

Most dealers see keys as a hassle and would prefer you go somewhere else. GM can be a real pain in the [censored] about key code documentation, and a key is more time/work than selling most other parts. Also, a lot of key customers tend to be difficult to put it lightly.

I don't charge that much for a plain key, usually more like $30-40, but I'm hard pressed to do it for any less than that. People who are key addicts will see their price go up...like the used car lot that lost keys to the same Trailblazer about four times.

Thankfully, GM has taken our key code access away again, because they are once again unhappy with our documentation, and I am so happy. They sent a scolding email to us and said "key codes are a privilege" and I so wanted to respond "no, they are a curse, thanks for taking them away."

I had one lady come in for a Cruze flip out key/fob last week. I just traced it because no key codes, then programmed it for around $70 after tax...she said another local dealer quoted $300.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
If they gave you an actual rubber (not plastic) OEM key I would be happy with that price. You're not paying locksmith prices at the dealer, I'm not sure why you would think that you would.

I love those OEM rubber keys! The mid 90s GMT400 ones with the thick rubber are so cool!

Rubber head is gone...the small coated head keys for 90s trucks are more of a hard plastic now.

Last key I had made was at I think Pep Boys and it was maybe $2 for my Camry. I do not look forward to replacing the keys on any other vehicle! What a ripoff! I don't live in an inner city and I don't need a fancy key. I'd gladly give up RKE to have a key that is cheap to replace.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
then programmed it for around $70 after tax....

That was generous, seeing those can be self programmed by the customer.

Would have charged $70 (list) to sell them an uncut, unprogrammed key/transmitter blank, so yes it was, especially since most dealers charge something (maybe $300) for their time. I will match any other dealer's price, because I'm sure it's higher than mine.

I also provide instruction sheets for cases where the vehicle is not present, but most people prefer I do it.

My old 2006 Accord was $175+ for a key + a non-remote key. I don't know if there's another way to get a replacement remote key.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back